iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rookie mistake on the LT 40 today. Have a good laugh.

Started by richhiway, December 10, 2018, 08:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

tawilson

It's even funnier when you have command control and you have to learn how to replace a link in the cable chain on your brand new mill.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I know some of us who learned that feature using much bigger logs which are much harder to re-position. I never make mistakes like that when working alone - only when I have an audience.

I don't have as nice a loader as you do but I still put the log on my loader arms rather than directly on the mill then I use the loader to load them. Just me I guess but another one of my quirks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Percy

:D :D :D :D :D :D Nyuk Nyuk!! Thanks for sharing....sometimes they get jammed between the mill and the tire and you cant get the loader around to that side for various reasons.....and the right sized log will get the hemmeroids glowing when you try to unstuck it from its new home.....thats when you call your friends .....and they laff at the log and the way yer walking from mad hemmeroids....  :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

Just for the record, that ain't a "Rookie mistake".

Well OK maybe it is a rookie mistake and after 16 years of sawing I am still a rookie.  ;D

Now just for the record, brain farts go with the territory and we all learn and laugh from our mistakes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nopoint

Well at least it wasn't a large log that damaged anything. I would suggest building a permanent or portable log deck or using loader arms on mill. Loading mill directly is a recipe for disaster/damage. I occasionally think it's a good idea to load a monster with a telehandler if it won't roll on the log deck always touch and go. I would be be even more scared with you forks and how touchy they probably are under load.....  although no mater how you load the logs they still have the potential to keep on going if supports ar not up.  Way more frustrating when it's a monster whiteoak, not that I would know from experience....

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

The politically correct term is "Cerebral Flatulence".

I think you have mentioned routines in sawing such as blowing the sawdust off the mill at the end of the day, filling the fuel and lube tanks etc. I think you mentioned raising the side supports after sawing every log as one of your routines probably because of the log shown above or others just like it. Another routine I have learned is to lower the toeboard before turning any log. Then I raise it if needed, don't cut long wedges if I don't need it and also I don't bang the hydraulics loading heavy logs on to raised rollers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

May all your mistakes be so simple, and easy to fix.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

alanh

yup, the last time I did it cured me for a while, a 28" diameter 16' long red oak rolled off the back, my mill is in a shed..no real way to get back there, had to be a 3000# log at least..take the mill off the blocking....try and move it out outta the way.. which is hard because there`s this 3000# log  between it and the concrete wall..yup, good times.

petefrom bearswamp

Never have admittedly done that or any other mistake.
There must be a thread someplace listing all the foul ups that can and will happen over time rookie or not.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Rhodemont

I have rolled a few off even with the arms up...go figure how that happens.  But worse, I use tongs hanging off the loader to grab the logs rather than forks.  Set one log on the mill, hopped of the tractor and unhooked the tongs.  The tongs had enough slack in the chains they dropped down so when I raised the loader one of them grabbed the mill and started to pick it up.  Good thing I was not already looking behind and driving back!  No more, I set the logs on the lift arms and raise them up onto the mill with the hydraulics.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

goose63

Like this

And thats not the olny one for me  :D  :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

boonesyard

YUP, had that rectal cranial inversion myself :-\. Had to "unstuck" a big elm from between the rail and tire with the telehandler. Hopefully that cured me for a week or two.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Chuck White

Been there, done that a couple of times, and the biggest concern I've had is "I hope that drive chain don't break!"  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

richhiway

I had a log bunk for the Logosol but its in the way on this mill. I do get off and roll the bigger logs onto the mill by hand. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Treehack

I don't have hydraulics so have loaded quite a few larger logs with tractor and forks.  Never had one roll off the other side of the mill because I forgot to put the stops up. By the way, I have some swamp land in Arizona I'm looking to sell if you're interested. :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Thank You Sponsors!