iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converting boat trailer to log hauler

Started by music_boy, November 22, 2004, 03:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

I have a single axel boat trailer I want to set up to pick up logs. Load weight is 2700 lbs. I've contimplated setting it up tp load from each side with a tow strap, winch, and ramps. I've also thought of loading the logs from the rear just like loading a boat, but seems I'd have trouble with more than one log, but that, I think is the cheaper way to go with the price of metal right now. I'm shying away from putting too much capital into this trailer as the load capacity is low but I really want to get going asap. I've got my eye on some logs. I'd be interested in some help\ideas on what some of you have done with boat trailers. The other trick, is unloading :P
Thanks in advance ya'll
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Brad_S.

I did some major damage to a car hauling trailer back when I was using that to pick up logs. Is 2700 load weight or Gross Vehicle Weight? A boat trailer seems awfully light duty. Not saying it can't be done, just be careful.
I don't know how it is where you are, but here in New York, The DOT police just LOVE to stop anything with a log on it. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

music_boy

HUUMMMMM
      Hadn't thought of that. I figure I can haul one or two good sized and just use common sense from there. Without brakes on the trailer, I,m real conservative about weight. Don't want to be reading "Load Rite" in my windshield. :D :D :D :D :D Yes ,, GVW
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

ohsoloco

C'mon, Brad, what did you do to your old car hauler  ???  I'm curious since that's what I have been using to haul logs for over three years now.  

ARKANSAWYER

The thing about boat trailers they were ment to haul boats which have most of their weight in the back.  So if you put some logs on and winch them to the front you may get front heavy fast.  If you leave them to far off the back some one will run into them or you will get the wobbles going down the road.
  But I would winch them up the back like a boat and roll them to the side to load another log.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

rebocardo

Considering it is a boat trailer, I would load from the end.

Reason being is the boat trailer is not designed to have 1,000+ pound logs hanging off the very end of the sides and you stand a good chance of tipping it or twisting the frame or breaking an axle. It depends on the wall thickness, a boat trailer is probably only 1/8 wall tubing.

Using the calculator to the left, a 16 inch 12 foot white oak log is going to tip the scales at 1,055 pounds. My experience is it is going to weigh more.

So stacking the logs really does not matter since two 16" logs will be pushing the upper load limit of the trailer anyways.

The funny thing is if you have a single 24" x 12' log, it will weigh more then the two 16" logs at 2400 pounds. That might give the side of the trailer and the axle of the trailer a real workout to have all that weight on one side.

> The other trick, is unloading

Lift the log up so it does not catch on anything, put a small round branch under the end, put a chain on the log end, put the other end of the chain on a large tree, put the truck in gear and pull the trailer from under the log.

I do this with my truck bed after I have winched a big log up that no way can I move by hand once it is up there.

I would pull it 1/2 way off, then put another log under the one being pulled off so all the weight does not fall on the tail end of the trailer and so the log was easy to move later.

Brad_S.

Ohsoloco,
Don't know exactly how I did it, but over the course of time, I turned my flatbed into a beaver tail style trailer. I think during the loading and unloading, I didn't have support under the back, and the weight of the logs as they were winched on and yanked off took a toll. ::)  At that moment when the log reaches the tipping point and settles down onto the trailer, you know  there is alot of weight back there. I started out with a Toyota 4 Runner. The trailer tongue would pick the back of that thing up, made it look like someone was giving it a wedgie!
The death blow came when an excavator loaded a 40" 16' walnut on. One of the tires shredded on the way to back to the shop (load range C or D, I forget which). Afterwards, found two breaks in the frame. (NY road salt in the winter didn't help, I'm sure). Moved up to a 5 ton trailer that barely seems to squat when loaded. The 7.5 T log trailer I have is not an efficient way to move more than one 24+" log, so that's when I turn to the flatbed.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

MULE_MAN

I really don't think I would fool around with a single axle trailer if you going
to be hauling any weight,. I think your going to end up destroying your boat
trailer. When you get a load on it. And if a tire blow's on a single axle. I
think your going to have a real mess & it's not going to be good. I think I
would look around and find a good double axle trailer with some heavy
ply tires. & some heavy axles . If you don't have the cash right now, You
might think about borrowing or renting a heavy trailer. Heavy loads on
a trailer that wasn't design for it , Is not a very safe thing to be doing.
Just my 2 cents, I hate to see somebody get hurt .    ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

music_boy

Not a lot of  encouragement but that's why I asked. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I may just use it to haul very small stuff and boards. I'm not going to put any money into tricking it up. Hauling stuff scares me a little anyway.
Thanks
Rick

Murf

As has been mentioned already, managing the weight is often more important than actually carrying it.

The simplest way to do it easily, safely (for you & the trailer) and inexpensively, would be to make two or three arches up over the trailer and then run a length of barn door track down the middle. Have the rear arch supported with jacks or pipes that drop down to the ground, and make the track a little longer than the trailer is. If you then mount a come-along or winch to a bar mounted to two or three, depending on the weight you are aiming for, of the wheel sets (trucks) to spread out the weight you can lift the log and just roll it up into, or back off the trailer.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

customsawyer

Moving logs is one of those jobs that even with the best of equipment it is hard on that equipment. So to take something that was made for a much lighter duty task and try to make it work will do one of two things tear the light duty epuipment up, or get someone hurt, and it might do both. Just my thoughts you would be better off and wait to get you a good used trailer like DanG did. What are you pulling the trailer with?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR_Buck

MM

Don't know what you're planning on pulling it with, but breaks are almost a must.   A single 24" 14ft red oak will top your boat trailer weight limit and push you down the road.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ed_K

Music boy, this was a boat trailer.

It started off with putting a 4x8 metal floor onit w/2' plywood sides. Hauled 1/2 cord of wood for delieveries.
 First the axle bent, tires rub the sides poped a tire  >:(. it now has an axle from a car w/14" truck tires.
 Then I added the loader to move logs from the woods. The pole bent, it was 1/8" box tubing. It now has 1/4" with birch hardwood cut to fit inside the tube.
 Then the aframe bent, added angle plate to fix that.

Wait till you can get a real trailer, like the one they haul excavators on  ;D.
 ed
Ed K

hillbilly

ED K
      Where did you get that cute little boom,I could sure use something like that .
           hillbilly

pappy

Ed_K,

Could you please post more and larger pics of that great log hauler ya got there :P :P
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ed_K

hillbilly, the loader came from Bailey's. Its made in Canada.
 termite, I'm not sure how to keep the pict's large and post them here. I'll post some after I photoshop them.
Ed
Ed K

Ed_K

Ed K

Plowboy

music_boy

Thank You Sponsors!