iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Capstan Winch

Started by DveSilly, August 03, 2010, 03:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DveSilly

Has anyone tried converting a small lawn tractor into a capstan winch?  I was thinking of securing the front end to a tree or other solid object, jacking up the rear end and replacing one back wheel with just a rim.  Will this work and has anyone tried it?  All the components are there to make it work- a power source, transmission, and a device to pull the rope, plus a way to start and stop.  I welcome any and all input.  Thanks 

woodbowl

My uncle drove a well point just like that. The rope was tied to the drive weight then went up and over a tickle and to the tractor rim. One loop aroung the tractor rim and all he had to do was pull the tag line to snug it on the rim, pulling the weight up then when he let off pressure the rope lost grip and down came the weight.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

John Mc

The transmissions on lawn tractors (and even if you step up to Garden tractors) is generally the weak link. Unfortunately, many of them are not worth working on to repair either... the parts are way too expensive.

If you are only winching light-weight, low drag items, you might get away with it. However, you'll have to figure out a way to lock one of the rear wheels, since the differential on these tractors is not limited slip: If you jack it up, and put some drag on one wheel, it will stop and the other wheel will spin faster.

If you think the transmission will hold up to it, why not just hitch the load to the trailer hitch on the lawn tractor and pull by driving it? (you'd need better tires and/or chains)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!