iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CAT 508 skidder

Started by IMOWOOD, December 15, 2009, 07:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMOWOOD

HI,

I was looking to see if any one knows any thing about cat 508's. . . .good bad and other wise.  Im looking at a grapple machine and was hoping some folks on here might have some experience with them.

thanks

240b

Like all things, CAT well built. but big bucks to fix.  Example  I had 515 grapple, transmission issue. something like 1900.00 just to remove it  Repair est.  11,000-15,000.  Machine had 13000 hrs. time to beef it.  Timberjack transmission issue.  one and ahalf hours my time to remove. brand new gear box 1800 bucks.  Of course you can't compare the two tractors but my point is, in the woods simple IS better.  But I do Really miss the cup holder,AC,and radio.

tughill

Actually I have a cat 508.  I haven't used it in the woods, as it needs some work.  It has a turbocharged 3204 engine, powershift trans, and is a cable machine.  I bought it for pretty cheap, because, well, it was company owned and has tons of hard hours. Hard hours.  Still runs and works for the most part though.

As much as some will say that Cat or Deere parts are expensive,  I think you get what you pay for.  Comparing an old standard shift TJ with a detroit to a Cat or Deere of any vintage is kinda like comparing a new 2010 ford F150 to a 1960 Ford F100.  Yes you can work on the old truck yourself with minimal tools for probably a lot cheaper than the new truck, and both pretty much get you from point A to point B, but realistically, if you are depending on it for your livelihood, which one are you really going to pick?

Do people still work those old machines,yes, sure, some work them everyday.  For myself,  especially if I was going to work in the woods full time (I'm not) something like a CAT 508 or Deere 540B would be about the minimum level of equipment I'd want.

The Cat 508 specifically is around 100HP, Powershift, 3204 is a very common engine, (used in D3 dozers, 910 wheel loaders, and others, so lots of used parts around), built like the proverbial brick outhouse.  Mine has 23.1-26 tires, which aren't hard to find, and the machine is legal hauling width, I think right around 9 feet.  I know the tires were just a few inches wider than my fathers trailer @ 102".  The other nice thing is,  I forget the exact weight, but it can be hauled on a 10 ton tag trailer, without any trouble.  I think the Cat's in general are built heavier and with a bit better quality than comparable Deere machines, which in this case would be a 540B.  I have both Cat and Deere construction equipment, and the good thing about both is that parts are readily available, for anything less than maybe 30 years old, and fairly available for older stuff.  I do think Cat parts support is a bit better than Deere, but that also depends on the dealer, I always liked Syracuse supply better than Milton cat (who bought SS out) but Milton isn't bad.

Where did you find a 508?  This particular model is relatively uncommon, more common are the 515 and 518.  I would not let that deter you, like I said Cat has all the parts you need.  If it's a 'beater'  the price should reflect that.  Personally, after having bought old beat up machines, or machines with problems (I have fixed/rebuilt or repaired the steering clutches on 4 different dozers of my own, not to mention work I've done on other peoples machines)....I would pay more and get a better machine...with parts/labor and downtime, you will definitely be $$ ahead, by spending more to get a better machine up front. 

Good luck, post some photos if you can.  I don't have any photos of my 508 handy, maybe I'll get some....although....it looks a little rough at the moment. :(
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

IMOWOOD

I found it on the internet out in michigan.  Its a single arch grapple with 28L rubber and about +/-6000hrs on it.  i think what they are asking may be a little high but it looks really solid. . . .im kinda worried about buying somthing i cant see with my own two hand if ya know what i mean.  I have a 440C right now and i just need a little bump up in hp/pulling ability.  Im not at all a fan of JD i guess i would call myself a timberjack guy but i do like the cat 518's for their pulling abbility but im not interested in their taste for fuel.  I used to run a tj460 cable witch was an awsome tractor but a little too much for the lots i find myself cutting now and the 508 would work out nice i think. Im gonna try some pictures

mahonda

We have a 508 great little skidder. We have done a lot of work to it though and had a lot of trouble getting parts for the torque converter. when we finally got them they were is a john deere box. no wonder they had trouble huh. wish they still made the 508 i'd buy another one.

"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

tughill

I would definitely not buy a machine I hadn't seen in person.  My machine has a bunch of problems, like a very loose center pin, that I was told specifically by the previous owner was very tight.  Needless to say the reason I bought it was that I went and looked at it, and pointed out the flaws I saw.  At that point, with a wad of cash that was quite a bit less than the asking price,  I owned a skidder.

I haven't had any problems getting parts for mine, I have spent quite a bit of $$, the main problem I have is finding time to work on it these days.  I guess having a steady day job that takes up a lot of time is not necessarily a bad thing these days though.

I have another cat machine with the 3204 engine, and it seems to be quite economical, as far as fuel use goes, but that machine is non turbo, so I'm sure the skidder w turbo sucks a bit more fuel.

Good luck.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

IMOWOOD

Quote from: mahonda on December 18, 2009, 12:15:50 AM
We have a 508 great little skidder. We have done a lot of work to it though and had a lot of trouble getting parts for the torque converter. when we finally got them they were is a john deere box. no wonder they had trouble huh. wish they still made the 508 i'd buy another one.

How many hours till ya started having proablems with the torque converter. . . .do you know it the tranny is the same as a 518,  also the as well the rest of the drive line.

The one im looking at is just like the one in the pic. but with 28L rubber.  Its from a very repuatable dealer so im pritty sure im going to get what they say i will.   

mahonda

i don't think the tranny is the same but i'll check. It had about 8000 hrs on it when we bought it and we've and all the center pins and ears redone the grapple has had a lot of work but i think overall great machine but pretty expensive to work on. Its just so hard to find a really good small skidder to run full time. we put a reman engine in it before the torque converter went out. but i think i'd go through it all again before putting down ahundred and fifty on a new small one. i'll ask our mechanic about the tranny and get back to you. good luck :)
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

Thank You Sponsors!