iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reid Crosby on HGTV

Started by Ironwood, November 24, 2005, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just thought I'de share the fact that HGTV filmed me building a 12' redwood desk/dining table last summer. 8 hours of filming for 7 minutes of air time. The show is "That's Clever" and airs twice on the 28th of November. Currently my computer is down so if you post me a response it may take a while to respond, hopefully I don't look to much like a fool!!!!!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Part_Timer

Reid that's to cool

We marked it on the calander to watch.  Way to go 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Just marked our calendar.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Quartlow

Woo hooo, Reids stopping by here tomorrow, I'm gona get me some autographs!!!! Ebay here I come!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

WH_Conley

Back to back, 12:00 and 12:30 P.M.

That would be eastern Ky. time ;D
Bill

Fla._Deadheader

Middle of the day ??????????? :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

sprucebunny

My Directtv program says noon and 5 pm
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I don't get any of those fancy programs, no satellite receiver.  :'(

Congrats Reid
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Swamp Donkey,

Don't feel bad I had to ask them what the heck is "HGTV" when they called. I don't get those fancy shows either. The family joke at our house is how my 3 year old watches Thomas the Tank Engine on Sunday (his only real TV time weekly) just like we watched programs at our house growiing up ....."THRU THE SNOW" of bad antenna reception, some things never change!!!

I worked like a dog to get my shop presentable for the filming. I thought oh my God everyone is going to see all my "JUNK" laying around (we all know it as quality reuseable/recycleable resources but to the rest of the world it is JUNK). I really hope I don't look like a fool.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Tom

Look like a fool??

Man!   You're going to have all the TV watchers wishing they were you.  ;D

Larry

Way to go Reid...I don't know what HGTV is either but sure would like to see a picture of what ya made. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Paul_H

We have a antenna too so I won't get to see it but like Larry said,it would be good to see the pics of your projects.

good for you  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Reid, don't sweat the "lookin like a fool" thing. Nodody around here will ever notice, and the rest of the WORLD, ??  Who cares. You will join the mi-noot few of us around here what IS Movie Stars.  8) 8) 8)  We autta get a "honorable mention" for these programs, EH ???  8) 8) 8) :D :D

Good onya, Mate, as them Aussies would say.  ;) ;) ;D ;D :D

For those in the remote regions, HGTV is "Home and Garden TV". LOTS of good stuff, like,  This old House, New Yankee Workshop, Gardening of all kinds, Landscaping shows. Good Stuff, Maynard  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Reid, do you think there is any way in the world they would let us share it here?  If someone can tape the segment and send it to me, I can digitize it for the web. Can someone tape it irregardless? I would love to see it but will be on the road that
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Jeff, don't you just love this slow dial up :D  I can tape it and send the tape to you.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Quote from: pigman on November 24, 2005, 09:58:07 PM
Jeff, don't you just love this slow dial up :D  I can tape it and send the tape to you.

NO!!!  and COOL!

sawguy21

Don't know if we get it here but sure would be fun to see yer mug on the big screen. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawwood

Jeff i will have my son tape it and then send it to you. Hope they will ok
it so every one can see Reid building the table.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Furby

I can burn some DVD's if it would be easier to send them.

pigman

Quote from: Furby on November 24, 2005, 11:32:32 PM
I can burn some DVD's if it would be easier to send them.
I was just going to send him a VHS tape, but you are going to send him smoke signals. :o I hope the wind is going in the right direction. ::)

VA-Sawyer

Just show the tape 254 days from now.  ;)    We can all see it then.
VA-Sawyer

Furby

IF everyone who wants to see it makes it! ;)

Quartlow

Yeah and I missed it  >:( >:( Oh well I had help to cut firewood and I think the wife would be happier warm than cold and having seen Reid on tv!!  :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

You aint missed it yet!  Git back out there and cut some more wood.  Its on Monday! :)

Gilman

12:00 & 5:00 Pacific time for you Other Coasters.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Quartlow

Quote from: Jeff B on November 25, 2005, 04:21:07 PM
You aint missed it yet!  Git back out there and cut some more wood.  Its on Monday! :)

By golly your right, boy do I feel like dufus  :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pigman

Don't forget, Reid is going to be on HGTV today at noon, eastern time, channel 112 on Dish. Also on at 5 pm eastern time. 8)

beenthere

Thanks for the reminder. It was great on Reid's part and pretty impressive work. I don't like the split-second snaps that make it go so fast, but better than nothing at all.

Good job, Reid.  Very professional presentation.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kirk_Allen

Way to go Reid!  I can proudly say I have been in the shop highlighted  ;D

pigman

That show moves fast. Reid built a a big fancy table in 5 minutes, including sawing the log. 8) I am glad I got it on tape so I can watch it several times so I can absorb some of it. ;D

Reid sawing the slab. 8)

Bibbyman

I missed it!  >:(

I was waiting for Mary to return from delivering some lumber and watching Mail Call when I thought I'd better check the HGTV.  Got there and some ditzo was making a necklace out of paper and then another was making a door mat out of masking tape.  Just at the end,  I seen Reid setting at his table for just a flash.

By the way!  I hate the way they edit the video!  - Jupping all around from shot to shot and such.  I'm against new laws but there should be a law to punish these video editors.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Quartlow

Man are you fast Reid, !!! what do you do  the rest of the day!  :D :D

By the way, Mar said thats not the Reid she went to school with  8) 8) :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ironwood

Thanks to all. I still haven't seen it. Hopefully tonight at my buddies house, THE OTHER movie star pulling the chainsaw (he's a "slicker" and has cable TV).

Quartlow, no of us are who we used to be,..........that's for sure.

Reid

Gilman

Dad and I watched it during lunch.  Great presentation. 8)

Dad's comment, "Dang nabbit, slow down the stinking camera so I can take a look at it."

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ohsoloco

I missed it this afternoon, I didn't come in until 12:30  :(  It's on again very soon, I'll have to brew some coffee and sit down for a spell.

Part_Timer

Hay Reid,

Kate taped the show for me to watch when I got home and wow what a table.   I liked it a lot.  I also like the table with the stumps for legs.

Way to go  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Two thumbs up on that Table making video, Reid.  8) 8) VERY nice job. What kinda wood, Oak ??  Couldn't tell because the finish was so dark.  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

sprucebunny

That's GREAT, Reid  8) 8)

Beautiful desk and an impressive combination of skills, artistry and materials. ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dan_Shade

nice, Reid.  the rest of the show is turning out to be quite painful to watch

and I agree with the video jumping, it was making me dizzy!  however, with it jumping around that much, nobody noticed your junk piles!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

I dont have a capture device for straight to the TV for video, but did have the digital camera handy.

Jeff

Here are a couple three more I managed to snap off. There was so much scene changing that I ended up getting a lot of Reid Crosby head shots instead of wroking photos, but ya never know when those might come in handy... ;D I am suprised how well the photos come out just standing in front of the TV.

Tom

I wish I could have seen it. What a block of wood!

Look at the saws on the wall.

Jeff, onion rings can make anything taste good.  :D

asy

Wowwee! Good onya mate!!! 

We don't get such high class shows here, all's they import from over there is stuff like CSI and the like.. :(

Sure wish it was broadcast over the net somewhere...  (Furby?? :D )

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

ohsoloco

Very nice  :)  Gotta agree about the crazy editing, but still a nice piece...I'd rather watch the whole half hour about the table  ;)

I was trying to look up info. on an other HGTV show, but I don't think they even make it any more..."Modern Masters".  I think you belong on that show, Reid  8)

UNCLEBUCK

I am so bummed out , I wrote the times to see reid on hgtv and hung it on the frig and by gum I missed it, Is it possible it will repeat this week? Sorry about that . I cant believe I missed it ! ::)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ohsoloco

I just looked on HGTV's website, and that was the last showing of that episode at least through the 19th of December.  It said it's a daily show, so I'm sure it will rerun in the near future  :P

OneWithWood

Excellent job, Reid!   8) 8) 8)

It was fast and furious but I did get a feel for your process.  You sure made it look easy  :D

The shots of your other furniture projects were all to brief.  Perhaps you could treat us with some pics here.  I thought the split wood chair was very interesting and I would like to know more about it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

There is a place to send comments to HGTV (I did!) and voice opinions. I think the editors and camera people are getting rated on their ability to use all the fancy gadgets and features of their equipment, rather than presenting the "Its Clever" features that are their subjects. Just my feeling.

Google " HGTV comments " to reach the site. Maybe we can get a re-run with more of the show of Reid presented. His work is outstanding, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Looks like HGTV has a good write up and a bunch of pictures on the table project.

Redwood Table on HGTV
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

after watching that show, i wonder how Reid's stuff ended up on a show like that.  doing his type of stuff is a bit different than glueing broken tile to a trash can!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

;)I just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I will put some photos up with the assistance of some FF experts. IT sure was a flash in the pan, no doubt.

Reid

Larry

Really nice work, Reid.  Was the table a commission or something else?

As OWW suggested we need to see more pictures of your stuff.  And have to echo BT...your work is outstanding. 8) 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawwood

Just finished watching Reid make his desk. Wow Reid thats one fine
desk. I sure do like woodworkers that don't go by stright lines but
let the wood do the talking. Do you git your ideas for that  guy from
Japan that make Furinture like that ?  Sure would like to see your
shope some day.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Ironwood

The Japanese gentleman would be George Nakashima. There is influence of him in my work but only a detatched fashion. I never new of him or how he kept "boule" wood around until after I had reinvented the wheel. I like his tops but I like stumps and metal bases. I like to compare it to "Westcoast choppers" for your living room. Yes it was commissioned (I have the spare that was built for the program, interested?)

Reid

Don K

Hey Reid,

Saw the show today.  8) 8)      The action was very fast. I wish I could see more of the actual footage.

Anyway, congrats on your appearance and you are a skilled craftsman.  ;D ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Riles

I've got the segment on TiVo and can move it to my computer and into most any digital format and size. Jeff, tell me if you can use any of it.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Ironwood

If anyone is willing to size my photos and post them let me know and I will send them to you. Are computer recently crashed so my files are fairly slim currently and they are high quality due to the fact that my wife used them to be posted to my website.

Electronically challenged,  Reid

Frank_Pender

Well, Reid, I counted on Gilman being correct in his time analysis and such for the Left Coast.  It was not on at the 5 o'clock time he mentioned.  I am sorry I missed the segment.  :'( Perhaps another time. :-[
Frank Pender

Ironwood

Frank,

Sorry to hear that.

By the way CHUGGED to D.C. the other day in the "pickup truck", 15.4 mpg with no load and similar on the return, I am loving the 3.91 and the Detroit Locker as well (tested it the other day in the snow out in the hayfield and hills).  ;D

Paschale

Hey Reid,

Impressive stuff!  Congrats on the show--sure wish I had HGTV so I could've watched it.  The pictures are fun.  I gotta kick out of the directions on the website.  Just take a moment to compare some of the directions from the different segments of the show:

Masking Tape Mat:

2. Draw leaf designs onto the mat with a black permanent marker (figure A).

Table:

2. Cut out a slab of redwood from a tree trunk using a horizontal band saw (figure A).

Masking Tape Mat: 

3. Rip off small pieces of green masking tape and fill in the leaves, overlapping the pieces of tape within the design. Be sure to add pieces of tape to the stems as well. Apply pieces of green masking tape to the edges of the mat for a border (figure B).

Table:

7. Cut steel tubular frame pieces and test fit on actual slab. Note: The random nature of the wood slab makes doing it any other way more difficult. Simultaneously, determining cross support placement.

Masking Tape Mat:

4. Tear strips and pieces of the manila colored masking tape to fill in the background around the leaves (figure C). Contour the pieces to fit around the leaves. Some of the strips can be five or six inches long, but be sure to overlap all the pieces (figure D).

Table:

10. Plasma cut metal disk 6-inch diameter end caps and then weld end caps on the pipe legs on the floor side.

Masking Tape Mat:

5. Using a soft cloth rub on a red oak colored stain over the tape to give it depth and dimension (figure E).

Table:

20. Sand blast the framework's metal parts and paint.

I guess there is ONE similarity...  ;)

Masking Tape Mat:

6. Apply several coats of oil-based polyurethane onto the mat using a paintbrush

Table:

30. Clear coat the final top with multiple layers of finish (figure K).

Compared to everything else on the show, I'd say your table is definitely a case of "Which one of these is not like the others..."   :D

Way to go, Reid!

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

pigman

I liked the web site better than the tv show. 8) It moved at the speed I am more used to. I got to see the beautiful table for more than 1/2 second. ::)

Riles

Well, until my bandwidth runs out or the lawyers get to me, here's the link to Reid's episode:

http://homepage.mac.com/rielley/iMovieTheater8.html
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

arj

Nice job Reid. the desk was the whole show to bad HGTV didn`t use the hole time for a great project.  Like the shop too.
                                                                                    arj

Frank_Pender

Thank you Riles.  I got to see what I did not get to see this afternoon. smiley_clapping
Frank Pender

Paschale

Thanks Riles--it was great to see the show.  Congrats again, Reid!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

moosehunter

Ried,
I left work early to race home and see the show.
NICE WORK!

I too am waiting for pics of your other work, those 1/2 second flashes left me wanting to see more!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

asy

Am waiting for Rileys movie to download, thanks Riley!

Also, had a look at your site, Reid, the Cherry dining table is just gorgeous!  Could we see some more close up photos of that, especially how you've joined the two slabs together!

ta

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Quartlow

Quote from: Reid Crosby on November 28, 2005, 02:29:45 PM
  Quartlow, no of us are who we used to be,..........that's for sure.

Reid

Boy isn't that the truth. I'm going to have convince Mar to take a road trip and invade you some Saturday.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ironwood

Invading is not minded. Reid

Frickman

Great job Reid! I too, tried to watch the rest of the show, but it made me cringe.  :( :( How the producers ever thought that your project would appeal to the same viewers as the others is anybody's guess. Your segment was the highlight of my day, however.  8) 8)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Furby

Ironwood

Finally have figured out the posting of photos, My gallery hasa some shots. Thanks to all.  Reid

sawman

Thanks for the link Riles. Missed the show but really enjoyed the video.

Beautiful job Reid,  great looking stuff.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

iain

Thanks Riles :)

Asy that style of film editing is just passing through here (i hope) it makes me feel sea sick and switch off :(

Reid way nice table 8)
you need to load more photos

iain (very late for work now)

iain

If you lot liked the table then check out this site

http://www.timsteadfurniture.co.uk/burrbar.htm

Its work shop of the late Tim Stead

There is a box called "Explorations in Wood     The Furniture & sculpture of Tim Stead  by Giles Sutherland if you can find a copy buy it at any price, you will not be dissapointed

isbn 0 86241454 7

iain(even more late for work)

Ironwood

Thanks, The knomes have been busy!!! Reid

GregS

Reid,  Congrats!  Sometimes hard work pays off...it's just too bad it takes so long. 

I never did officially say thanks for the invitation to the Rustic furniture show at the Blue mountain museum in the Adirondacks.  The show was excellent and your table was a highlight.   My wife and I enjoyed meeting you.  The show will be on our future calendar as a "must do".

Greg S

Thank You Sponsors!