iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Added some life to my forced draft blower motor - UPDATED

Started by gspren, December 12, 2019, 09:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

The blower motor on my OWB at 12+ years old was working ok for normal re-fires which are only 30-40 minutes but would overheat and shut off if it ran much longer. Since I shut down for a week or more every month the blower sometimes needs to go several hours so I pulled the motor for a look-see to see what to buy but while I had it off I put a couple drops of BlueCreeper SMO (sewing machine oil) on the shaft at the bushing and reinstalled, that was 3 weeks ago and since then when I came back from the cabin to 41 degree water and needed a several hour burn "no overheat", running like new, so I'll wait a bit on replacement.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Well ya done good as they say .The so called "oilite" IE oil impregnated bronze bushings will last for years but they will dry out after a period of usage .With a shot or two of oil periodically it might go on forever .Most people wouldn't have even thought of it and just replaced the motor .

gspren

Here we are near the end of the heating/burning season and the fan hasn't been a problem so I think when I do the spring cleaning I'll give it another shot of oil, easier and cheaper than changing the motor.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

It's a good plan and doesn't take that long .I've got a similar thing with two electric "milk house " heaters .These are used in two small rooms in my garage ,one for the geo-thermal and other for my water stuff like pressure tank,softener etc .It doesn't take a lot of heat but this is Ohio and in spite of warming trends still gets cold enough to freeze water pipes .I often fail to oil the  bearings which I have to do when  about heating season it dawns on me when the fans barely turn .I think I'll take that tip and do so myself 

Thank You Sponsors!