iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board and batton siding??

Started by blaze83, November 21, 2008, 08:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

Is there anything wrong with hemlock for B and B, sealed and stained?
Jim

thecfarm

I used it on my horse run in that I built.I have not got around to stain it yet.No horses now,but 2 goats are enjoying it.I just used some hemlock that was cut at least 2 years ago.I built a platform for the goats to jump on too.No problems with it at all using it dry.I like to use hemlock.It's an old timer's wood.Some will have shake,but alot won't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

oakiemac

I used green tulip B&B on my shop and it turned out pretty good. The boards shrank quite a bit so wider battens is a good idea. I also went all the way to the ground but if I had to do it again I would leave about a foot off ground then but metal. I stained with a natural color deck perservative.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10523/shop2.jpg [/IMG]
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ohsoloco

Okie, I used Uncle Larry's Walnut Stain with woodmills1's recipe  :)  Ten parts diesel fuel, one part non-fibered roofing tar, one part boiled linseed oil.  Put it on with a paint roller.  It should be getting cheaper to make since diesel is dropping in price  ;)  I need to put another coat on in the spring.

JimMartin9999, hemlock would make great B&B siding.  I probably would've used it instead of white pine if I had it.  Cuts like white pine (like butter  ;D ) without all of the sap.  Little tougher as well. 

okie

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 25, 2008, 09:59:40 AM
Okie, I used Uncle Larry's Walnut Stain with woodmills1's recipe  :)  Ten parts diesel fuel, one part non-fibered roofing tar, one part boiled linseed oil.  Put it on with a paint roller.  It should be getting cheaper to make since diesel is dropping in price  ;)  I need to put another coat on in the spring.

JimMartin9999, hemlock would make great B&B siding.  I probably would've used it instead of white pine if I had it.  Cuts like white pine (like butter  ;D ) without all of the sap.  Little tougher as well. 

Thank you. That looks sharp for sure.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Ron Wenrich

Finally got around to taking a picture of my board and batten.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

blaze83

Ron,

very cool siding......i like your window trim too.

thanks every one for the input and pics

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

scsmith42

Ron, that is a way cool house!

Here are some examples of board and batten siding used on my farm.

This first example is of random width 4/4 boards with 3" wide 3/4 battens.  Following Arky's advice, we planed all of the siding (usually I install it rough-sawn).  This was all kiln dried and treated with multiple coats of Tim-bor for termite control.  This is the most recent B&B that I've installed.  As you can tell from the photo, I still have some trim work to do (underside of the porch, carport, and the eave trim).

This next example is of the side of my barn.  The boards are also random width, and the battens are 2.5" wide.

This example is from the side of a run-in shed that I built for some of our horses.  Also a random width board, but with a 3" wide batten.  A tree went through the roof of the building two years ago, and when I rebuilt it I doubled it in size, thus necessitating new siding up under the eaves.  I was able to salvage some of the siding from the original back side of the barn, and reuse it on the side so that the weathering would match.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

slider

blaze83, I purchased a 100 year old railroad section house some while back and 4 years later moved in . This old house was board and batton but the batton had a 30 dagree bevel on the batton. It was time consuming to duplicate this ,on the table saw, but well worth it.The siding was 10 in. and batton is 2 and 3 quarter.good luck  slider
al glenn

york

Hi,

well ron you house really does look good..

If you go up north in NYS,B&B is all you see and they do use mostly pine..

love the stuff,bert
Albert

DanG

Boy, there are some nice pics of B&B siding in this thread! 8)

This afternoon, I had to fill up the horses' water trough, so I had a few minutes to sit and gaze at the end of my 65 year-old barn.  It isn't B&B, but it has never been painted and is holding up real well.  On that entire 30' side, there are just 4 boards that are not in perfect shape, and every one of them is a pith board.  None of the other boards have any pith in them.  Y'all might want to keep that in mind when cutting your siding.  By the way, that siding is SYP.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

HOOF-ER

OK I couldn't resist showing the barn I built. One of the nicer projects Ive done.
White pine B&B. Kevin H was the sawyer for the job. He done good.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

blaze83

hoof-er,

great pictures...nice barn too. did you stain your pine?  i was going to paint.....but the more i see the stained siding in every one's pictures the more i like it just not sure how the poplar would stain....

steve

DanG

That is a mighty handsome barn, Hoof-er.  Is it on your place, or did you build it for someone else?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

HOOF-ER

DanG, I built it for one of my friends. It has 4 horse stalls and extra rooms down and large hayloft up. It is about 30' to the peak.
Blaze83 It only has blue stain from the pine molding , it was cut in the summer. I think he may seal it sometime in the future. The west side bleached out more this is the east end your looking at.

LeeB

Did you use your own plans or were they someone elses? Lindy want's a barn like that and I need plans for one. Maybe not quite that big though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

HOOF-ER

A set of plans were purchased but, to be functional for hay storage and such. I pole built it. The plans were stick built and non-functional loft, I think that it was even much narrower. They wanted certain size stalls.

MikeON

Here is my garage/workshop/barn which is done in 1" thick rough hemlock with Behr Premium semi-transparent stain.  The boards and battens were stained before putting up.  The boards are about 9" but the width varies slightly so it works out with the windows.  The battens are 2".  The hemlock was air-dried for a year.  Attached with Deckmate coated screws.  We left about 1/4" gap between the boards, and the batten screws go through the gap.  We caulked the top and bottom of the gaps to keep bugs out.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

woodsteach

Thats a great garage/shop MikeON

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Meadows Miller

Gday

Excelent Picks Guys I love it !! you Blokes  have got me thinking of using Board and batton again I was 99% sure i was going to use Natral edge weatherbords on my shed but now im thinking of goung back to my original plan of using B&B again decisions decisions   ??? ::) ;) :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ohsoloco

When making my decision I realized that board and batten would be much easier to repair...

fishpharmer

Great thread, I love board and batten.

The photos are super. 

I have a friend with alot of Eastern Red Cedar.  He wants to cut it up and build a cabin with board and batten.

Will red cedar work?

Maybe I should start a new post?

Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom Sawyer

blaze83

yep,

re ceader would be perfect, wish i had a few thousand board feet.....it is nice to work with too, love the smell

Steve

Cedarman

blaze, we could fix you up with all the ERC you would need.  We have sold a good bit of cedar for B&B.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!