iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steam Powered Sawmill!

Started by Papa1stuff, February 15, 2009, 10:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

This would be a great addition to any ones backyard! 8)

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

tyb525

I remember seeing one of those at our Covered Bridge festival here. They used to have it every year, and it used to scare the **** outta me when they made a cut on it cause it was so loud! It hasnt been there for 5 years.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

two saw

That looks like the one they have every year at Berryville Va. at the gas and steam engine show they hold.
Looks like fun.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

york

Albert

SwampDonkey

Seems to me there are a few pictures of those in the Historic Milling Photos thread to. I mean old pictures of stuff in service. ;D

You fledgling members ain't dug deep enough yet. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Papa1stuff

This engine and sawmill was at the Florida Flywheelers in Ft Meade Florida a few weeks ago! smile_banjoman
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

olyman

all thru iowa, and minn--they have anitique shows during the summer months--many of these have a sawmill running with steam power--some of the larger sawmills take some serious traction engines of size!!!!!!

bandmiller2

Bert,I think that engine on the trailer is a fairbanks morse diesel,air used to start hence the tank on the trailer.That old girl would run a mill if you have it on a good foundation  and running up to speed.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Those old steamers are all pushing 100 years old and not all  are safe for their rated boiler pressure.They will always be around as displays but working units will become rare,we better enjoy when ever we can.Their are few men that can build a boiler like that now.Frank C.

york

Frank,

ya might be right-i will see it again this summer-see two times near Salem,pa at a town thing plus tractor pull,they also have an old circle mill set up on concrete...Bert
Albert

MaddiesDad

When I was in New Zealand I saw a Steam Powered Sawmill.  It wasn't far from Keri Keri.  I'm not 100% that it wasn't the oldest Steam Powered Sawmill or something.  It had a hulu saw, etc.  Huge impressive thing.  It was neat to see.  I think I have some pictures at my office. 

bandmiller2

Steam,like electric motors is  very good mill power due to high torque and the ability to sustain short overloads.Their is usally enough scrap in a log to generate the steam to cut it,and exhaust steam for heat and drying kiln.You need at least 100lb.pressure,150 better for the engine,their in lies the problem in most locals you need a licenced engineer,to legally fire a high pressure boiler.The larger the mill complex becomes the more practical steam becomes,mayby with todays high oil and electric it will return.Frank C.

Burlkraft

I was at that show last year. It's a great show on some awesome grounds there.

Met up with Corley and Nailhead  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mr Mom

My old shop teacher has a case steam engin that he rebuilt.
Doesnt run it any more he says he to old.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Meadows Miller

Gday

Now Were Talking  ;) ;D 8) 8) Ive been into steam and steam powerd mills since i was a kid there is just somthing special about it  ;D
I use to runn two 800hp 120 psi heat tube boilers for 18 odd months  producing steam for the kilns i use to manage and use to burn anywhere from 120 to 150 yards of dry sawdust and shavings in 24 hours they where Big 24'long and 10" dia use to check/rebuild one while we ran the other flatout
  and have allways thought about a steam powerd tubine generator to runn an elec mill and even looked into the cost and return on invesment you could put in a plant and pay it off in under 2 years with fuel or elec savings but you have to take into account the ongoing costs as you have to strip down and pressure test the tubes and casing every 12 months in a commecial instalation down here which is the costly part  :o :o :) :) ::) ::)
Im still going to sit my engineers ticket one day as i allready have the hours up  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ed

Crossroads Village just north of Flint, Mi has a steam powered sawmill. While I haven't found any pics of it on-line, it's a really nice setup.
A friend of mine does maintiance work there and is also one of the part time sawyers.
Much of my lumber has been milled on it.  ;D

It's a cool place to visit if you are in the area. They also have an operational narrow gage steam Locomotive & train.

http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/crossroadsvillage.htm

Ed

thedeeredude

bandmiller2

Has anyone here ever "pulled a saw"with one of those large one cylinder oilfield engines the ones designed to burn gas right from the well??or seen one do it ??how did it handle it? Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank my Mate who is also my mechanic  collects single cyl motors and has an  old 20s  20 hp Sourthern Cross vert cyl motor ( Made in Ballarat) that stands 6'tal to the head with a flywheel thats about 3'6" dia and dose about 80 odd rpm That use to runn a Break down 50" saw and running off bench 36" saw  in a small mill for years  ;) I gave him a hand when i was about 19 and we dragged it out of the bush stripped her down and got it running I cut a 33"by 1' x 8' block to mount it on but it was toooo light when we fired her up the first time it worked like a whacker  :D :D  untill i sat the forks of the volvo over the timber and put some weight on it  ;) ;D ;D 
Franks got about 15 Runners  and a Fair bit of other gear Tractors , 1910 to 40s  Chrisy's and trucks he even gave me my first Ast Made Chamberlain 9G Tractor when i was 18  ;D 8) 8) but there was one problem  ;) It was in about 100 peices spread out across about 1 acre on a farm    :o :o :) ::) ::) :P We got her up and Running stripped everything down repaired or replaced parts and resprayed it all within 3 weeks it was one of my best learning experiances That tractor is now towing a caravan around australia they aint a slow tractor they are geared to cover alot of ground in Shorttime top speed w/gov sett low 35 mph  Wide Open nearly 50 mph  but you gotta be able to hold on to them  :o My one is sett standard  thats quick enough esp with the loader frame on the front  :o :)  :D :D
Frank' Dad use to have the dealership for them in Vic from th 40s and they use to drive them up from the dock in melb to wallen 38 miles away it use to take frank and his three brothers less than 45 min to cover the distance driving a tractor they like he said once we'd open them up on the dock and runem in on the trip home  ;) :D :D ;D :o :) :)

im just glad that Frank has taken the time to teach me as much about mechanics  as he can since i was  about 13  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!