iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bunks

Started by hogdogman, March 18, 2014, 01:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogdogman

I am building some new tracks for the hm126 and am wondering about the optimum spacing between the bunks

dboyt

Distance between bunks depends a lot on the kind of milling you do, and how solid your track is.  Standard logging is even foot lengths, plus 4'. The Norwood mill I run has 4' spacing between bunks, which works well, especially since I can move the clamps to accommodate the odd sizes by moving the clamps.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hogdogman

Thanks, the original deck has under 4' but i was leaning that way. I just want to do it within reason, thanks again.

backwoods sawyer

When you get to the lower cuts, if the ends are not suported it will droop, and when milling short logs having an extra bunk helps suport it, the more bunks the better but give yourself room for clamping and working on the mill as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

scrout

My mill is set up a little different, but I made my bunks are movable, they just slide in the frame.
Looking at the WH126, you could extend out the mounting flanges on one bunk about 6-8 inches each side, then that bunk could just sit there without being bolted down.  Then you can move it where necessary depending on your log.

Thank You Sponsors!