iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red or White?

Started by xlogger, May 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

A local woodworker drop off this mantel for me to dry. Is it red or white oak?

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Don P

Smallish looking ray ends, red color, I'd guess one of the reds.

WDH

I am in the red camp, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

So if the rays where longer it might be white?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

The color screams red to me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Another way to tell is slice off about 1/32" off the end grain of each, a red and a white, and hold them up to the light. You'll see light right through the red oak vessels where the white is blocked by the tyloses in the vessels. When you look at a fresh cut red oak end it looks open pored.

Like Danny said, the color said red, sometimes a white can fool you, the rest would just confirm it.

I guess a chestnut oak, the leaky white oak, can be coarse grained and somewhat open pored but I've never seen one of them pink.

scsmith42

Color looks red to me as well.

See the short, dark lines on the face?  Those are the rays.  If they measure 3/4" or less, it's red.  Longer than 3/4" is white.

A little tidbit that I picked up from Gene several years ago.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

xlogger

That what I thought I remember for a while back on the longer rays.

bluthum

Usually you can see the definitive open pores in the end grain of the board [red oak] though some times it's tricky.

caveman

It looks like red oak from my house.  The rays (thumb nail looking parts on the face) look short as Scott pointed out.  White oak will have those marks but they will usually be 3/4"-1" long.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!