iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mcculloch 610 Pro Mac

Started by 9705sikeston, July 11, 2004, 09:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9705sikeston

Got a couple of questions for anyone out there.

I was reading the paper today when i saw a Mcculloch Chainsaw for sale $50, my dad has had one for about 20 years and i was interested. so i called the buy up and went to look at it

It was a 610 pro mac, started on fifth pull, he said he hadnt started it in a while.

nothing wrong with the saw, not even that much paint missing, so i bought it.

so here are my questions

1, my dads has a set of hooks right at the base of the blade, we call them log hooks.  does anyone know what the actual name for these hooks are.

2. i know this is a good saw and a good price, any idea what these saws ran new

Kevin

Quote1, my dads has a set of hooks right at the base of the blade, we call them log hooks.  does anyone know what the actual name for these hooks are.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Would these be the log dogs sometimes referred to as bumper hooks?

Tom

Welcome to the Forum

We call those hooks "bucking teeth".  

The PM610 was a  pretty fair saw and got the job done, but, it's not in the same ballpartk as Husky, Stihl and comparable saws.

You will find, after a few hours of use, that is heavy, not balanced particularly well, has a large, square engine case that hangs on trash and other obstacles.  

I've owned one and have had two neighbors with them as well.  All suffered with failing bar-oiler pumps.

It will be a decent saw for occassional use and firewood bucking.  It might be worth more as a collection piece since the company has had such a hard time.

The PM610, Pro Mac 610 and Eager Beaver were, I think, the same saw.  You might want to keep your eye out for them in trash piles in case you need parts.  

ladylake

I wouldn't be quite so hard on the 610 as Tom. Ran one for 15 years and had very little trouble with it (cleaned the carb a few times) I used the manual oiler every so often. We raced it against a 038 stihl, was about a second slower in 14" oak and weighed 2 ponds more on a good scale. It does get heavy after a while.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

9705sikeston

I thank you guys for the info, not sure of what i got my hands on.

I will be using it mostly for clearing trees around the neihborhood and for hunting (Trees down and so on).

I most of you guys are loggers, you have a pretty cool job, thought that was something that i might have been interested at one time, then i got into the cable television and have been there since.

Any idea of where i might be able to get a set of those hooks for my saw.

Thanks,

Chris

Bruce_A

Chris;  Keep that yaller saw for a backup and get a good Stihl or Husky. When that breaks down, back up to the Mac and go home.  You'll be happier with quality equipment and can always loan the Mac to your friends.

Tom

I used a PM610 from '84 when I bought my property and needed a saw for clearing until I replaced it in '93 with my Huskey 61.   It was still a backup saw and did fine except for the constant problem with the bar oiler.  The manual oiler would become jammed or plugged and eventually become non-repairable.  Parts became scarce and I finally retired it.

A side note of interest is the difference that you are looked upon by customers when you take a Husky off of the truck rather than the Mac. It's as if you have become a professional in their eyes. They seemed to consider me a neighbor doing them a favor when I got out the Mac.

It's a matter of Image to consider if you decide to go professional with a home-owner grade saw.

ladylake

Chris
Forgot to mention 15 years ag0 the 610 cost around $220.00. I sold it to a farmer for $25 who loves it.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

chucker

8)  we always called them "ROOKIE TEETH" !! just for the young bucks that couldnt hold a saw straight???? lol  oh yea!! picked up a PM/610 this morning at the local trash heap ? looks rough ,but bet it will run..... MAYBE????
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Al_Smith

Welcome indeed .A Pm 610 didn't come with a set of dogs on them although you could install them if you choose to .

I've got a bunch of hours running them and my original is somewhere near 30 plus years old and still runs like a new one .I've got my dear old departed dads 610 that would outrun a Stihl 042 when that model was newly on the market .

This model of McCulloch is most likely the toughest old critter Mac ever made and the most mean mouthed .Say what they want ,it's a long life saw  but not to be compaired to a more modern lighter saw .

The oiler is an impulse operated diaphragm type which could leak into the crankcase which in time plugs the muffler screen .This will cause the exhaust port to carbon up fouling the piston .--but the good side is even with a screwed up pistion they will still run for years .Try that on a Stihl . :D

That aside a new oiler can be fetched for around 20 bucks and change ,I will say this though,they are heavy rascals for 60 cc .

rebocardo

$50 is a good deal for that saw and it is 2x the saw of any Poulan at Home Depot.

Here is another topic on the saw

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,37763.0.html

FWIW: I have cut down trees with single and double bit axes and a two man saw. The PM610 is far faster and requires less work   ;)

Al_Smith

Actually I'm glad this subject popped up . It reminds me I should exercise my 2 610's a tad bit to keep them limbered up  .

It's been over a year since I fired them but odds are they will putt on half a dozen pulls or less .

I've got a big pile of oak to cut down to firewood size which I usually use either an 038 AV or 038 mag for the task . A tank or so through the old Macs might not be a bad idea .

ladylake

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 02, 2009, 08:01:54 AM
Actually I'm glad this subject popped up . It reminds me I should exercise my 2 610's a tad bit to keep them limbered up  .

It's been over a year since I fired them but odds are they will putt on half a dozen pulls or less .

I've got a big pile of oak to cut down to firewood size which I usually use either an 038 AV or 038 mag for the task . A tank or so through the old Macs might not be a bad idea .

Back when I had my 610 you could count on it to start on the sixth pull after sitting most of the summer.    Steve

GASoline71

Quote from: chucker on June 30, 2009, 05:11:28 PM
  8)  we always called them "ROOKIE TEETH" !! just for the young bucks that couldnt hold a saw straight???? lol  oh yea!! picked up a PM/610 this morning at the local trash heap ? looks rough ,but bet it will run..... MAYBE????

LMAO... guess you never had to "dog in" on a big 30" plus Doug Fir have ya.  Those "Rookie Teeth" as you so call them, are required for fallin' big timber 'round here... used as a pivot point when makin' your face cuts.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

chucker

:D yupp ? grew up in sw washington . worked in the little woods there !! lol
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

millertyme

My dad bought a 610 back around 80 or 81 when he was stationed up in Alaska outside of Anchorage. His initial thought was that he was tough and could fell enough timber to feed our wood-burning stove for the winter with his single-bit axe. He realized he was wrong shortly into his first day of woodcutting. He went to a local outfitter and purchased the PM610 with the "teeth" and cut all the wood we needed. I own that saw now. I've replace the bar with a 20" Oregon, and recently had the saw tuned up. I let it sit two years with fuel in it, pulled it out and gave it about a dozen good pulls before it sprang to smokey life in my driveway, scaring the hell outof the residents and their children alike. It is a heavy bastard, takes a lot of fuel, and really doesn't wind up like the Stihl my dad replaced it with, but it hasn't let me down. The problems with the oiler are evident so I have to use the manual pump, and if it weren't for the decade I spent as a steelworker the weight would be entirely too much. Otherwise I'm fine with it until I find a need for something more "professional".

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting story.

You may find that "DanG" is the official swearword here. We like it that way too.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

The oilers can be found in the 20 dollar range on E-Bay sometimes .

I have no idea what goes  wrong with them .They are just a diaphragm type which work off impulse of the engine . I assume the check valves get gummed up or something and have dissassembled the dang things in an attempt to repair them but so far have had no luck in doing so .

Sometimes a person can run a part tank full of kerosine or diesel fuel through the system and clear it up .

Thank You Sponsors!