iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain of Custody

Started by jim king, June 03, 2007, 11:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

There is a new buzz word in the tropical forestry area called "Chain of Custody" meaning who is in control of a tree and its harvest in the tropics.  I made this short summary for a customer.  You may find it interesting.

CHAIN OF CUSTODY OF WOOD FROM PERUS FOREST TO MARKET
The forestry law in Peru was designed and paid for by the WWF and the US Agency for International Development.

VERY VERY LONG LINK FIXED AND REPLACED WITH TEXT  :)

Below listed are the steps required to harvest and export wood from Peru.
1: The first step is to purchase a piece of land to log or bid on a government owned forestry concession.
2: In order to cut timber you need a forestry logging permit in the case of land ownership or a license in case of a rented concession as private ownership of trees is prohibited.  If you have title to a piece of land the government still owns the trees.
3: Once you have a forestry permit or a license it is required      that you have a licensed forester inventory the land in question and make a detailed logging and work plan.

4:  This Plan/Proposal is submitted to the Department of Natural Resources of Peru for modification and approval leading to an on site inspection.  Registration of all chainsaws is required with the Dept. Of Natural Resources.

5:  The next phase of the approval is an on site inspection of the property to be logged by the Dept. Of Natural Resources foresters and technicians verifying what trees are to be cut and how much per acre.  This includes the local name of the tree plus scientific identification.

7:  After the inspection the management plan is submitted to the Dept. of Natural Resources for approval.

8:  If approved the property plans are sent to the titling office in Lima for verification of the coordinates.

9:  If the six month process above is approved the owner of the permit can start harvesting the trees marked for removal.

10:  Once the logs are ready for transfer to Iquitos from the jungle an inspection by the Department of Natural Resources is required to verify that the wood came from the land designated.

11:  Each piece of wood is painted with the number of the logging license in the presence of the Department of Natural Resources official and scaled and inventoried prior to movement and forestry taxes are paid also prior to movement.

12:  With the signed inventory a permit is requested to move the wood to the factory for processing and the police are notified of the pending transport for the police inspection.

13:  Once the wood has reached an authorized factory with Department of Natural Resources approval it can be cut.

14:  For removal of the wood from the factory for kiln drying a transport permit is requires for movement.

15:  Once the wood is dry and a permit is obtained it can be moved to the processing facility.

16:  Once in the licensed processing facility and manufactured into a product a sanitary certificate is obtained after inspection by a division of the Health Dept stating that the wood is clean and free of any insects or other problems.

17:  When ready to export one more inspection is required by the Dept. of Natural Resources and police prior to obtaining the permit to move the wood to the port.

18:  With the above documents a Certificate of Origin is issued by the Chamber of Commerce authenticating the origin of the product.

19:  With all of the above starts the normal procedure of packing lists, bill of lading etc for Customs and the wood can be loaded on the ship.

20:  Once in a US port the next series of inspections starts and a year after cutting the tree the customer gets to buy a piece of wood.

If all of this seems a little out of hand just consider that Loreto State of Peru where we are located is 30% bigger than Oregon and produces .005% 0f what Oregon produces every year.  The entire Amazon which is as big as the continental US and includes many countries produces 2.4 times the production of Oregon which is about half natural desert.

sawguy21

Unbelievable. That is a lot of hands to grease.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

solodan

Numbers 1 through 12 are almost the same here in California. :-\ If a single tree dies here in someones backyard, and you cut it down and remove it in any form, even firewood or hog fuel for that matter, you still have to go through this process, and have a Licensed Timber Operator do the work and paper work. The only plus for myself is that most tree service guys don't want to go through the hassel for one or two trees. They usually don't have their LTO anyway. I do, so I fill out the paperwork skid the logs and haul them. The end result is the land owner gets nothing for the logs, and has to pay a bill of about $1500 to $2500 per tree removal to the faller.  :-\  Large scale operations are much easier on the millions and milions of acres of Federal land here in California. I really don't understand how we even let the local governments control what is supposed to be ours. If I don't own the vegetation, the water, or the mineral, do I really own the land? How long before they try to tax us on the air I breath. ??? ::) :-\

Tom

I thought California was already doing that to you guys. :D

maple flats

Sounds like uncle Pedro and all of his relatives each get a piece of the action. ;D >:( :o :D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sawguy21

Quote from: solodan on June 03, 2007, 02:08:46 PM
If I don't own the vegetation, the water, or the mineral, do I really own the land? How long before they try to tax us on the air I breath. ??? ::) :-\
Canadians don't own mineral rights on the land either. No Jed Clampetts here.  :D Well, most of us don't, the natives do on reserves and are paid handsomely for oil royalties.

solodan

For the most part we do own our mineral rights, and even our own trees, but the government still has it's hands in everything, making it almost near impossible to get anything done.  ::) 

Dodgy Loner

Many places in GA landowners don't have mineral rights - but neither does the government.  Private investors bought them dirt cheap decades ago.  I used to live in Bulloch Co., GA, and we didn't own our mineral rights, but there was really little to worry about.  There wasn't too much value below the sand down there.

Fortunately, I can go cut trees on my property whenever and however I want.  And I hope it stays like that for a long, long time.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

rebocardo

Then don't move to Atlanta or Dekalb (where I live) county. You need permits to cut your trees and in Atlanta it runs $300-$600.  :o

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

SwampDonkey:

It looks like you have quite an illegal logging activity up there.
Are the WWF and Greenpeace and the others trying to raise money up there to stop it ?

Analysis of extent and nature of criminal activity

The unauthorized harvest of Crown timber continues to pose a significant problem for DNRE enforcement staff because of the high value of wood. Documented incidents under the Crown Lands and Forests Act have increased significantly from 154 incidents in 1994 to 633 incidents in 1999, an increase of 311%. For the period April 1, 1999 until September 26, 2000, DNRE documented 267 cases of unauthorized harvest.

The number of incidents of theft of wood owned by industry and private woodlot owners is difficult to quantify, as the RCMP does not track incidents of theft of timber as a separate category. However, a survey of the eleven RCMP District offices indicated that there have been approximately 111 cases of wood theft reported to the RCMP in the past 12 months. The New Brunswick Federation of Woodlot Owners has estimated that in the past twelve months there have been 200 thefts of wood reported by private woodlot owners

SwampDonkey

Oh we did when the markets were wide open here back 3 or 4 years ago. People were poaching veneer and figured wood from log piles. Most loggers are home on weekends when the thieves move in. I've seen where thieves have hacked into maple looking for birdseye on several woodlots. A lot of stove wood theft to, some right under the nose of landowners and it's not always third parties. Sometimes it's the logging crew sneaking out a little at a time and not declaring it. Just toss a little on the back of the pickup at days end. Soon they have 10 cords outside their house.  ::)

I don't here much commotion of late on wood theft. But, it still persists. Our laws protect the criminals here and the criminals know the system well. The groups that formed this coalition have pretty much quieted down.

I cut a wheel barrel load of wood last fall and piled it along the road and by the time I made a return trip later in the day some thief had taken it. Good thing I didn't catch him because there wouldn't be a head light or a windshield left in the vehicle hauling it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

WWF and Greenpeace? They are rare in these parts. They're only worried about seals.  ;D :D :D

In all seriousness, we've lost about 1000 cords from dad's farm over my life time. He had 450 acres of woodland. I've retained about 70 acres after he retired and it was mostly plantations and second growth not ready for harvest for a few years. There's been a whack of wood produced on that ground.

Warren

Firewood stolen from the roadside sounds like you need to add a little "Rapid Energy Release" agent to a stick or two of the next pile you set by the road....
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

sawguy21

Hmm, now what might that be ??? ;)

Gary_C

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 10, 2007, 10:27:09 PM
Hmm, now what might that be ??? ;)

Someone told how he had a neighbor that he suspected of helping himself to his firewood. So he took a stick of firewood and drilled a hole into the end and poured some rapid expanding powder in the hole and tamped a plug in the hole. Then he set it on the side of his firewood stack. Sure enough it disappeared and shortly after the neighbor had an explosion in his wood burner.  ;D ;D

Not easy to file a complaint on that one.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

olyman

gary c---ive had no firewood stolen--im known in this area--i dont thieve--dont thieve from me---but that right thar is a fine idear--would solve some problems----!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Ed_K

Don't do it. Cost a boss of mine a lot of headaches back in the 80s.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!