iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the cats meow for sharpening gimicks now days?

Started by banksiana, January 28, 2011, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Quote from: banksiana on January 29, 2011, 03:30:11 PM
I brought inside to my basement several wheelbarrow loads of some green, fresh cut sugar maple from the area my load is coming from and guess what, I have killed several dozen ants already!  I love it when I learn something! 

You'll have a house full of flies before it's all over with . I've never seen anything like the flies that gather over maple with the sap running out of it .

Green cut hickory draws millions of ants for some reason . Oak draws gypsey moths .

There's just a bug to meet every occasion .

weimedog

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 30, 2011, 09:21:41 PM
You'll have a house full of flies before it's all over with . I've never seen anything like the flies that gather over maple with the sap running out of it .

Green cut hickory draws millions of ants for some reason . Oak draws gypsey moths .

Ash..Emerald Ash Borer!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Saw Dr.

Quote from: banksiana on January 29, 2011, 02:17:52 PM
My chain appears to be a semi chisel.  It is not the pos safety chain.  Had one of those once and brought it back after a frustrating afternoon tying to cut some firewood.  Since then dealers keep trying to unload one on me everytime I go in and ask for a chain. 

While I prefer the non-safety version, safety chain will cut just fine if it is sharpened properly.  Most folks do not lower the safety bumpers when they sharpen it.  That is where alot of bad press comes from. 

I actually BOUGHT a loop of green chain for the 023L I got for my wife.  It cuts as well as the yellow stuff in most situations.  BTW, she has never run that saw, but just in case she wants to try....
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

banksiana

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 30, 2011, 09:21:41 PM

[/quote]No flies yet, but I am surprised at how fast this wood is drying.  Ants are gone now too.

lumberjack48

I ran a full chisel, semi-carbide chain made by Carlton, i found this to be the way to go in any cutting situation. It can be sharped with a hand file, i used a 5/32 file, where it called for a 7/32 file, you can file twice as fast with the smaller file. Once you us a 5/32 file you'll never go back to a 7/32 file, just one of my little secrets after 30 yrs of filing.
 [Only on a full chisel chain]

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bandmiller2

Ants with dirt on their feet,whats worse are those retarded squirrels that think stones are nuts and hide them in tree holes and crotches. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Squirrels will hide nuts anywhere .It was a real treat come spring time to fire up my old D4 Cat and dodge nuts blowing out the stack hitting the tin shed roof .Worse yet was those little darlins packing the clutch housing with nuts on an OC_6 Oliver crawler that kicked one out every so often to hit old Al in the noggin .Lawdy did they make a racket too rattling around .About like a dozen hogs eating coal . :D

Hanson

Quote from: tyb525 on January 28, 2011, 11:01:12 AM
I use the blue Pferd file guide from baileys. It holds the raker file at the same time so you don't have to guess at the raker height.

I just started using the Pferd as well, it does a very job on the .375 Oregon FC chain that I am using. The only problem I have had with it is, it takes the rakers down a little further than I would like for the harder hardwoods, but is still better than me free handing it :D

tyb525

I haven't really noticed a problem with the rakers, but then I like to file them a bit lower anyways. Having them all a bit low is better than me trying to file them all the same by hand, IMO.

I bought about a dozen pferd files to go with it. I'm still using the original raker file, I've gone through 4-5 of the round files.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

banksiana

Quote from: tyb525 on February 03, 2011, 01:06:16 AM
I haven't really noticed a problem with the rakers, but then I like to file them a bit lower anyways. Having them all a bit low is better than me trying to file them all the same by hand, IMO.

I bought about a dozen pferd files to go with it. I'm still using the original raker file, I've gone through 4-5 of the round files.
Nothing worse than being out on a log pile with a worn out round.

oldaxman

I worked on Mt St Helens after she blew her top and tried everything there is to sharpen. That volcano dust would dull your chain immediately. Went through 2 or 3 chains a week and files by the dozen. My reccomendation is learn to free file, practice makes perfect. I was running a 40 inch bar skip tooth and could file it in a few minutes.Nothing like sharpening after every tree, very exasperating but you do learn to file.Also if you file against the tooth it seems to make a harder edge.This is common in chisel bit flat filing but not many round file that way. I switched to round file on helens due to speed involved, way faster plus those goofy files are expensive.

Al_Smith

Oh Lawdy I remember when St Helens blew it's top .Screwed the weather up for at least 5 years . Rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock almost forever .

They had to either install Arps crawler tracks on combines or pull pickers through the fields with crawler tractors to get the corn off .What  mess that was .You haven't seen mud until you've seen Ohio mud .Those Mississippi and Louisana swamps don't have anything on us conditions being right which thank heavens they aren't most of the time .Yuck .

John Mc

Here is what I use to sharpen my semi or full-chisel round-ground chains:

Works well, easy to get good results. This holds the round file at the proper depth in relationship to the chain tooth, so you don't dive down too deep (putting a hook on the tooth &/or hitting the tie strap) or go too shallow (and end up with a poor point or profile on the tooth).

I use the tool below to set the depth gauges. It rests on the top of one tooth, and angles down towards the back of the previous tooth. The depth gauge pokes up through the hole. one end for setting up for cutting hardwood the other end for softwood (softwood setting takes the depth gauges down a bit lower). I cut mostly hardwoods, so that's the end I use. Using the softwood end can make the chain a bit "grabby" when bore cutting. This tool is sold by Husky. Others make gauges that work on the same principle.

I find it works better than the style which rests across the tops of two or more chain teeth, with a dropped section that the depth gauge pokes through. The gauge show above gives you a depth gauge custom set for the tooth that follows it, making it less critical that all teeth be ground to the same length.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

That Oregon file guide is an old standby and works very well .I don't think the price on them has raised much in thirty years .Except they used to come with two files and a depth gauge included .

SwampDonkey

Al, I don't know why you have a hard time cutting frozen maple in the cold.  ::) I never did. Maybe it's the cold and not the frozen maple. :D  Oaks have a lot more water than rock maple when green, just compare the green weights and the 12% MC weights. The oaks have 7-8lbs more water when green and weigh about the same at 12%.  ;)

Baileys has a good economic sharpening guide, and there are others. See one in Lee Valley as well, looks like the one in most hardware stores.

As far as prices go, 16"-20" chains have been $20 for 30 years.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I don't have a problem cutting stuff when it's frozen because I have enough good sense to cut it to firewood length ahead of time .It's only those knuckle headed tree trimmers that give me fits over that stuff but they just don't know any better .Besides that they are unteachable or so it seems . :D

Good heavens I once took five minutes of my valuable time  and taught them everything I knew .They're still stupid . ::)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Must be a tough bunch to work with Al.  ;D :D :D :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: CX3 on January 28, 2011, 04:53:00 PM
I dont know if ants are your problem, but they darn sure can take dirt into a tree and dull your chain.  They make nests in there too, and if you ever cut through one of those you are on the file for sure.

I've never seen ants take dirt into their tree galleries. May be confused with their excrement (frass) I suppose. All I ever see is saw dust at the tree base they chewed and spit out. Never saw an ant in a hardwood tree neither. Spruce and balsam have all kinds of them when the tree begins to go downhill. I have a whole darn colony of them black winged ones out in the cow shade spruce behind the house. Every once and a awhile a good wind with cause a tree but to explode.  35 years ago my father had the brain wave to limb up them 4"-6" limbs so he had a view of his field and the mountain. Worst darn thing, two fold, the snow fence was now gone and the trees got but rot inviting the carpenter ants. Spruce don't heal up fast like pine and this is what your left with. ::)

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 06, 2011, 05:56:53 AM
:D :D :D :D

Must be a tough bunch to work with Al.  ;D :D :D :D ;)
Oh they're getting better .They were just a little slow on the uptake until they had to fight those 6 foot pieces out of a pile after they had been shoved around with a skidloader and full of dirt .Then the cheese got binding . :D

Actual  most local maples are the soft variety from in town removals. In the past they didn't even fool with it .Off to the land fill it went . It's lousey firewood but it does burn .

I've never cut into any that was frozen only that oak a few yers ago .On a live take down in mid winter the stuff isn't frozen no matter what it is unless you fiddle around and not buck it ,which I don't .

Thank You Sponsors!