iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gafner MB 411 Mini Skidder

Started by Hrdlx62, November 14, 2014, 02:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrdlx62

Hello all, new to this sight and would like to know if anyone out there has seen or has any info on a cable skidder a friend of mine just picked up. Its a Gafner MB411 Mini Skidder. The machine is a bit of a basket case and I have been recruited to help put it back together. The engine and trans is out, we got the engine running so that should not be too big of a deal. The problem is the transmission is pretty sick, its partially disassembled and is gonna need major work to get going. Big problem I see is parts as its a Mercedes Benz Unimog unit and I don't think theres gonna be an abundance of spare parts laying around! anyone know of these? Its a pretty neat little machine none the less Hopefully we'll get it back in the woods! Thanks, Joe 

coxy

could you put in a tranny out of a small truck like 1/2-1 ton or a little bigger  mybe a NP 540

thecfarm

Hrdlx62,welcome to the forum. Good luck with the skidder.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Welcome aboard Hrdlx62
Here is another thread about them.                         http://209.164.108.37/board/index.php?topic=74627.0
It might be a bit challenging to get parts for it. What kinda tranny is in it?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

logman81

I have a sales brochures of that machine with all the specs. Would love to see a pic. Welcome aboard!
Precision Firewood & Logging

snowstorm

back in the 70's case dealers also sold unimogs. they put case backhoes on them. also the national guard had some

logman81

barbender

That is just such an awesome size, I wish I had one! That would be the ultimate firewood unit ;)
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

I'm planning on buying one in the spring if I can convince the guy to sell it.

Hrdlx62

Yes its a pretty neat little machine, firewood and small woodlot logging is the plan. The problem with trying to refit another trans is that the transmission, transfer case and PTO are one unit. Not that it couldn't be done I'm looking into options. I would be nice to just get it back together as it should be. We'll see what happens. I would love to get a hold of the repair manual for the machine if they had one! That sales brochure is great!

logman81

You can have the sales brochure if you want.

SliverPicker

Somewhere around here I have the phone number of a guy who has at least 2 UniMogs in unknown condition.  I will try to locate the number. If I can find it I will PM it to you.

No promises.
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

Whatduyaknow! The first place I looked there was the number.

PM sent.
Yooper by trade.

Hrdlx62

Got the engine to run briefly (no cooling system). 1 and 2 cylinders were lazy. Had fuel to all injectors. I pulled the injectors tonight and will have them checked and if I can find an adapter will do a compression test. Transmission is worse than first thought. The output shaft end pilot appears to be broke.

KyLogger

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Ford_man

The Brochure says it is built with Mercedes components, maybe a dealer may be able to help. I was thinking the tran could b a truck tran. They did & still do build trucks.
splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Holmes

Some where I heard Mercedes used to build  Unimogs.
Think like a farmer.

Reddog

Do a google search for "unimog 404 parts" and "unimog 406 parts"

Then start calling. Plenty of parts supply for mogs.

Corley5

Gafner's machines were all built with drive train components from other manufacturers.  Their Iron Mules were based on Massey Ferguson and Ford industrial tractors.  Parts for these Minis shouldn't be a problem except for paying the Mercedes Price.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chester_tree _farmah

In most other countries Mercedes are taxi cabs. Just saying. Lol
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

barbender

That's a neat little machine, I've never heard of those.
Too many irons in the fire

Hrdlx62

Not making much progress on the transmission. Not a lot of stuff out there, although one outfit has a complete reman unit but the price s not so good. the retrofit option may have to come into play. I pulled the injectors the other night and am having them checked. I have a suspicion that the engine has a blown head gasket. If the injectors check out OK I'll try and find a compression adapter or do a cylinder leak test to pinpoint a head gasket leak. Deer hunting starts Sat. so won't get much done for the next 9 days..........unless I luck out early!!

KyLogger

I want an Iwafuji!! (haven't heard of em either!) Look at the winches.......stupid simple! Wouldn't pull alotta big wood but could probably surprise you. And I would imagine by looking at it that it would be a snap to find parts for and easy to work on.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

CountryTrucker76

Quote from: Hrdlx62 on November 20, 2014, 08:42:43 PM
Not making much progress on the transmission. Not a lot of stuff out there, although one outfit has a complete reman unit but the price s not so good. the retrofit option may have to come into play. I pulled the injectors the other night and am having them checked. I have a suspicion that the engine has a blown head gasket. If the injectors check out OK I'll try and find a compression adapter or do a cylinder leak test to pinpoint a head gasket leak. Deer hunting starts Sat. so won't get much done for the next 9 days..........unless I luck out early!!
I have one of these Gafner Mini Skidders For sale but it has been converted to a forwarder check out ebay.

Thank You Sponsors!