iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky air filters

Started by dirtmod454, April 15, 2009, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmod454

Just wondering what some fellow 372xp owners run for air filters. I see that 2 types are offered....the original pleated ones which ship with new saws vs. the mesh filters also sold.
Any preference/advantage?

Thanks

Rocky_J

Being in the South, I have always preferred the pleated, flocked filters for better filtration. The few times I've run the fine screen mesh filters on saws, I've had a noticable residue of dust and grit in the carb intake throat. Supposedly it's small enough that it won't hurt the saw but I still don't like it. Every time I buy a new 346xp I have to swap out the air filter right away. I have a few unused mesh filters in my spare parts bin. All my 372s have always come with the pleated filters.

The mesh filters seem better suited for cold (below freezing) temps. Lots of guys do most of their cutting when there's snow on the ground and that's where the screen mesh filters seem best suited. The flocked, pleated filters end up getting wet and won't breathe well enough.

Dave Shepard

Both styles are offered for my 394. I have only used the pleated type, and after running it for 7 years, it didn't seem that any significant amount of dirt actually made it to the air filter. I just got another pleated type last week. The Air Injection on the Husky saws really works well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

The mesh filters used to be sold as "winter filters" up here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

oldsaw

Do the flocked filter.  I swapped mine to a high top because I got a high top that wasn't brown and the filter crap underneath it.  It may be overkill, but I like the flocked better, and it looks better than a brown low top since it's still pretty orange.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

SawTroll

Quote from: Corley5 on April 15, 2009, 10:37:48 PM
The mesh filters used to be sold as "winter filters" up here.

The "winter" mesh ones are black bodied and 80 micron - the normal ones are 44 micron.

Here, the 44 micron mesh ones are standard, as is the low filter/cover, and it works perfectly.   :)

Bottom line is that there is no general rule - it all depends on where you are and what you cut - I guess that is why there are several options............. ::)
Information collector.

cheyenne

Mesh is junk.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

bandmiller2

Mesh is a solid fuel booster filter.I just keep whatever it has clean.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ENTS

I'm assuming the 353 filters are close to the same (mesh pleated vs. flock).  I ran the mesh in the beginning.  Ordered new filters and got the flocked ones (at the time, didn't know there were different ones).  After running the flocked one I was amazed at the crud it caught (vs. the mesh).  I wont go back.  The flocked ones are harder to clean.  You can use compressed air on them or try to suck them clean with a vac. but they hold on to that crud.  I swap them out frequently.

Later,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Urbicide

You can seperate the filter "halves" and toss them in the washing machine with your laundry. Some use the dish washer. (Hi Niko!)

Rocky_J

The filters are designed to handle air as well as petroleum products without disintegrating. I've seen people over the years use all sorts of soaps, detergents and solvents to clean air filters and it always seems to be a major issue/ chore/ problem area for so many of them.

I clean my filters with air. Nothing more, just air. I try not to blow too hard directly into the filter element, but in all honesty it really doesn't hurt them. You want to know what hurts them? Detergents, solvents, heat (think dishwasher). I run the crap out of my saws and I still get several years out of every air filter on any one of my saws. My air filters on 3-4 year old saws don't look much different than a filter from a 6 month old saw. It takes me less than 30 seconds to clean an air filter and I try to do it once or twice a week on the saws I use the most.

Thank You Sponsors!