iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

windsor bar tip?

Started by Maine logger88, January 26, 2014, 12:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

I still have a few of these Windsor bars and I went to get a bar tip the other day and my local dealer said that they discontinued the Windsor bars and he couldn't get the tips anymore does any other companies make a tip that would fit? I really hate to throw these bars in the junk pile they still have good life left in them
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

Windsor's still in business, our sponsor Baileys still sells  tons of them.
The first detachable replacement sprocket nose bar in the world, introduced to the market in early 1971. Besides an upgrade to a shorter insert joint in the early '80s, still the same high quality bar today as it was in '71.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

I have 3 Windsor speed tip bars and they're a good bar IMO. I'm pretty sure you can get the tips from Baileys.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

webgal

Indeed you can still pick up those 5 rivet replacement tips from Bailey's. They are now sold by Oregon under their Carlton banner. We currently have .325 and 3/8 in stock. Yes, you get enough rivets to do the job. I don't think I can give the link here, but you can PM me for details.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

Maine logger88

OK I just checked baileys and found them thank you!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

webgal

Wonderful, those are some good bars and worth the effort to keep em going.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

luvmexfood

Webgal. Thanks to you and Bailey's for taking the time to moniter this website and jump in when you have knowledge of what products are available. Makes life easier sometimes. I have a Stihl chain cross reference question. It is not near by but it goes on a Stihl 170 w 16 inch bar. Does Woodland have a replacement? I have a spare Stihl but it will soon go on the saw and I like to keep a spare on hand. Don't use the saw a lot but it has sawed me out of a bind a few times.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

webgal

For your Stihl MS170 with a 16". bar, it should take 55 dl of low profile chain. House brand is 30LP which is .050. Our part number is WPL 30LP55.

Glad to help. I want to chime in if asked something, or have particular knowledge. I'm not to bad trouble shooting water pump questions too... :o

bandmiller2

Webgal, do you know what happened to the Silvey co. I have a razorsharp 2 I bought from you folks I hate to think its an orphan. Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

If I'm not mistaken  either Forester or Oregon makes the replacement three rivet tip .I just bought one last year via flea bay to replace a .404 with a 3/8" that  was on a 50 thou bar   .Obviously a west coaster because as  far as I know .404 by 50 thou was never used in these parts .

jwilly3879

Al is correct, forester has 5 rivet + 3 rivet Windsor, 1 rivet Oregon, 3 rivet GB and 3 rivet Stihl.

webgal

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 26, 2014, 08:39:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken  either Forester or Oregon makes the replacement three rivet tip .I just bought one last year via flea bay to replace a .404 with a 3/8" that  was on a 50 thou bar   .Obviously a west coaster because as  far as I know .404 by 50 thou was never used in these parts .

WOW, that poor ol 3 rivet tip .404 .050 was an oldie for sure. Can  you post a pic? If I recollect they had a neat red pattern and an arc.

Indeed that Windsor Speed Tip has 5 rivets. I cut my hands on one to do a tip change once. Blue rubber coated gloves quickly became my friends while working in the warehouse at Bailey's. Those rails even on used bars can be quite sharp. Leaves cuts that aren't there, then you watch the red lines slowly show.  :'(

Al_Smith

Yeah I looked it up a while ago .That flea bay deal with shipping is about 20 bucks .I'd imagine you could find them on line at other places .Baileys might have them too .

I've only had mine about a year and it's on a 32" McCulloch bar on an 805/850 .Of course I haven't used it much but from what little it seems to work fine .

Al_Smith

I just looked and unfortunately I don't have a picture of the bar .

It was my guess it probabley dates back to the 80's and is in great shape with little use shown .My assumption being the west coast from a time the 82 cc Macs were still in use ..404 of course will pull a bigger chip than 3/8" which would be adventagious on some of the softwood species on the left coast .

Any .404 used in these parts was on over 100 cc saws and in 63 thou guage driver  .Fact being I in fact have just about of the last ever .404 by 58 thou Baileys ever sold .I've never seen it in 50 thou .

HolmenTree

Here's a pic of that bar guys from a 1976 Oregon ad. I had these tips at that time in .050, wasn't long after they were all standard .063 whether on a ,050 bar or not.
Also Al here's a pic of my Oregon .404 chisel bit .050 chain called 50AL. I got about 30 ft or more left of a 100 ft roll of this stuff .

I included to keep this thread on track a 1976 Windsor ad touting the speed tip bar . Next ad is Sandvik not to be outdone a month later saying they made the very 1st sprocket nose bar.
A month later Windsor posts this ad.
10 years later Sandvik was successful in suing Windsor in a law suit that they invented the sprocket nose bar first. Ended up Sandvik bought out Windsor then the bars were called Sandvik Windsor.

HolmenTree

To add to my last post here's a better pic of my .050 Oregon .404 chain.
Also to keep this thread on track again, the February 1971 Windsor introduction of the first detachable sprocket nose bar.

Al_Smith

So then was my assumption correct regarding .404 on a lighter weight chassis for mid sized saws ?

A gent gave me that bar and I debated on weather to use that 50 thou .404 of which I found some on flea bay .The more I thought about it would just be another oddball size to keep on hand so I went the 3/8" route .

Probabley the Mac 81 cc would handle it but why push the limits .We have nothing but hardwoods in this area .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 27, 2014, 07:32:06 PM
So then was my assumption correct regarding .404 on a lighter weight chassis for mid sized saws ?

A gent gave me that bar and I debated on weather to use that 50 thou .404 of which I found some on flea bay .The more I thought about it would just be another oddball size to keep on hand so I went the 3/8" route .

Probabley the Mac 81 cc would handle it but why push the limits .We have nothing but hardwoods in this area .
I'm not fully sure of the reasoning of the .050-.404 chain Al.
But seeing the 50AL chain I showed is a not a skip tooth variety it wasn't designed for long bars.
Your probably right about the mid size saws, seeing it's a Oregon .050 chain it will have .058 thickness on the top half of the drive links making it cut slightly narrower kerf then a .404-.063

Al_Smith

Well for that matter I used Oregon 72 skip on that 32" .I imagine the Mac could handle full comp I just felt it might like skip a little better .It does okay with it .I 've ran it buryed in oak and it goes right through it no problem .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 27, 2014, 08:14:13 PM
Well for that matter I used Oregon 72 skip on that 32" .I imagine the Mac could handle full comp I just felt it might like skip a little better .It does okay with it .I 've ran it buryed in oak and it goes right through it no problem .
The skip tooth chain sequence originated in the PNW, where fast cutting sappy softwood like fir or cedar  in extra large diameter stems proved to plug up a regular comp chain.
But having said that cutting large diameter slower cutting hardwoods like oak on the east coast is not such a critical thing for chip clearance/flow.

Thank You Sponsors!