iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got visited by the tape measure fairy

Started by getoverit, March 07, 2006, 12:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I know for a fact that over the last 5 years I have bought no less than 20 tape measures.. most of them 25 footers..

I needed one today, and I finally found 2 of them. :-\

I think that there is a tape measure fairy, who is closely related to the sock fairy, that comes amd takes tape meausres from unsuspecting people. What I cant figure out is what the fairy is doing with them? :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

leweee

Ken....that tape measure fairy is measuren up your lumber piles at night....so she knows how much she has to sell when your not there....have any lumber disappear lately ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

Putting centimeters and milimeters on the opposite edges to help them become totally agravating
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

There must be more than one of those fairys cause I've got the same problem :D

In fact, there must be a whole convention of fairys around here that each specalize in making off with certain things  ;)

I always hoped and waited for the other kind of fairys.... the ones that come at night and finish up some little project I hate or that makes me insane. .....Like the cement fairy and the plumbing fairy :D

Not to mention the sheet metal fairy ...... ever see a fairy with band-aids on ??? :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

jackpine

At least the tape measure fairy seems to have a sense of humor :D

She makes them re-appear at the most unusal times and places, usually when i'm looking for something else and all I can do is make mental note of it's location.

Then one of two things, either I forget where I saw it or, I go back to where I tought it was only to find she has moved it again :D

A classic example, last week I cut a dying spruce and went to the truck for the tape I always keep behind the seat. Not there! Walked back to the house for another >:(  When I was done and getting out of the truck, looked down and saw it in the side pocket of the door!

This is totaly unlike the sock fairy who never returns any of them :D

Corley5

I was always having to look for a tape.  There was never one around when I needed one.  I bought 20 25 footers for 2 bucks each at Walmart a couple three years ago.  I had tapes in and on everything.  Now I've got to look for them again ::)  It was good while it lasted ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Engineer

I have it on good authority (mine) that you can buy several tapes - good ones and cheap ones, and then have one or more of the good ones develop a crack, or a kink, or a bad spring, or a bent hook, and you will ALWAYS be able to find the cheap $1 tapes from Wal-Mart and the expensive ones that are busted.  You will always lose that nice new Lufkin or Starrett tape that has nothing wrong with it.   ;)

Patty

I can relate to this strange phenomonem. Just this past weekend I had to search every where for my tape measures.  >:( After several unsuccessful attempts I threatened to go back to Dollar General and buy 20 more tapes, just to see how long it would take for me to lose all of them too.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

asy

tape measure fairy is multinational.

nuff said.

asy :(
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Buzz-sawyer

My deal is I total wear them out 2-3 a year....either break...or I can tell the 1/8 from the 1/16 from wear :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Murf

My guys used to through them like they were edible or sumat.  ::)

Then I found out I could get them with my company name printed right into them, and in all sorts of fancy colours.

Now they only wear out, the legs fell right plumb off them.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Quartlow

I used to lose cheap tapes to the fairy all the time, when I started buying good ones I made it a point to remember where I put them. of course it stilll doesn't help when you melt them with a torch or cut them in two  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

my favorite one is now covered in pine sap :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jackpine

I usually ruin at least two tape measures a year due to pine sap, after a while they won't retract and then i kink them trying to push em back in.

Anyone have any idea of a coating that might work to keep the sap from sticking?

Once sap has hardened on the tape it's almost impossible to remove without damaging the lettering,but if a coating would at least keep it from hardening it could be cleaned at the end of the day.Avon Skin So Soft works real well at removing pine sap if it hasn't hardened yet.

Captain

I've met MY tape fairy.  His name is Brendan and he is 6 years old  :D

Captain

getoverit

I havent tried it, but that PAM spray on cooking stuff works really good at keeping the love bugs from sticking to your car...maybe it will work on pine tar too?

I still think one day I am going to find about 20 different color and style socks, each one having a tape measure hiding in the toe. smiley_ghost
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dale Hatfield

Craftsman is the answer for tape measure. I used to wreck bend snap stanleys  about 2 a summer. Or wear the last foot of markings off. Use it , tote it back for a replacement.
The Fairy takes the cheep tapes round here the goodens are keep in lock up. I have  had to go  to extremes to keep the Fairy out.
I have been know to spray  any kind of lube in a tape that was handy after a goose drowner or sap infested afternoon of  spruce.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!