iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 540a versus Timberjack 230 super E

Started by Stoneyacrefarm, February 05, 2017, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneyacrefarm

New member here.
Looking for your input.
I'm looking at a used 540a that's in working condition and a TJ 230 super E.
My budget is 15-18k.
Both machines are in that range.
I'm cutting 150 acres and clear cutting almost 18.
Mostly flat but with a few rolling slopes to deal with.
I upgraded my woods tractor to a cab tractor so it's not going into the woods.
A skidder is a better option here.
Looking for you guys out there that have dealt with both of these models.
Thanks for your help.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

David-L

TJ all the way. Cheapest machine in the woods to run and at the end of the day after your on and off 35 times you will be glad you are on a Jack. Parts are readily available , alot of stuff at your  local auto store. Good luck. Search the site as theres alot of good info about what to look for when buying a Jack. Pics if you buy the Jack please.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stoneyacrefarm

Thanks for the input.
Power wise should they be the same?
The 540a seemed to have a lot of power down low.
I'm trying the Tj out this week.
Hope to make a decision by the weekend.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

well jmop but I would take a little less power over high price parts and have to wait a few days to get them I have jd dozers and its like you wait days for parts I also have a cat skidder and 98% of the time the parts are here the next day if I order them by 3pm the day before BUT cat parts aren't cheap   most of the older tj  ujoints are the same as a 1ton dodge truck maybe that's why they don't hold up there parts from a dodge  :D sorry had to say it  :-X

Stoneyacrefarm

I run John Deere tractors now.
Parts are a little pricey. But they always have what I need.
Are the skidders much different parts wise than the tractors?
There is some brand loyalty for me in that case.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

millcreek40

Timberjack all the way!!! I bought a 1985 John deere 540b   I didn't keep it very long.the deere is definitely more operator friendly  and very fast. Mine had 18 34 tires. I think you could tip it over on level ground if you ran over a frozen can of beer while turning . One of my timberjacks has 18_34s.  You would have to be somewhere that you shouldn't be to tip it over. You can spend ten grand on a deere transmission  or 1500 on a jack.  Just my opinion.  Good luck on whichever one you choose.
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Stoneyacrefarm

Not hearing much about the 540a.
More guys liking the Timberjack.
I'm going to try one out this week.
See how it goes.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Caseybow123

Both good machines. Although the deere may be a bit more powerful it will most likely break your wallet if it breaks down. I  run a 648 D john deere and a 230 D timberjack. I will 8/10 times run the tj due to very low fuel usage and reliability. Timberjack is also relatively easy to maintain and repair. Hope this helps.

jdeere540a

I have owned both and I would take the Deere. That's what I run now is a 540a. They pull really good it would out pull my 230 hands down. They will also out pull 540b's the a's were the only 540 with a 6 cylinder engine. Parts are more money but not much more and I breakdown way less then when I had my 230. U can't beat a jack to get on and off from but Detroit motors r finicky and drive shafts and hoses are hard to change because the only belly pan on them is a little one under the oil pan. Both have good and bad points but I think the Deere is far better.

Stoneyacrefarm

Thanks for everyone's input.
Are the 540a's prone to any major failures I need to worry about.
How about the 230's.
I've located two nice machines.
Tried the Deere and liked it. It was quiet. Had a lot of power but it is an older machine.
Haven't tried the Timberjack yet. It's a newer machine than the Deere.
That will be this week.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Decked

Go with the Jack...I had a 540a...it will break you.  Front frame is weak...constant troubles.

Maine logger88

Either one will do a good job but the 230 will do it cheaper. I really like my 540b it will pull like a son of a gun and is very fast I also like my 225 it does a good job costs very little to operate and easy on and off
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stoneyacrefarm

I won't have long pulls for the most part. We can drive a log truck easily to most of my landings.
I'm not going to run it hard all day long.
Just want something reliable that I can do firewood with when I'm done logging everything.
Seems like most guys are saying to go with the Timberjack.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

if your only doing it part time and go with a jack don't get one with a gearmatic  winch you will hate us all  :D they don't like to sit for a long time other wise they rust up iv tried to cover them but the moister always get in them

Caseybow123

I agree with coxy 100%. I have a gearmatic in my C-5 D treefarmer and it is a pain. I have the Hercules winch in my tj and it has never given me problems in over 20 years. Not sure if the E model comes with them but I believe so.

Maine logger88

The 230 should have the eaton/Hercules winch its mostly 240s that have the gearmatic. The eaton on my 225 doesn't give much trouble it's my spare skidder so sometimes it sits for a few months at a time if I don't have a side job or my 540 isn't broke. Sometimes the cable will pull out hard for the first hitch or two but after that it's good to go!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stoneyacrefarm

Thanks guys.
I'm starting to sway to the Timberjack side.
Appreciate all the info.
Great site for information you have here.
Now I just have to find the right machine.
Found another 230d that I'm going to look at also.
Might have to paint it green and yellow so it can stay in my yard.
Lol.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Spartan

What engine does the TJ have in it?
Did that model come with a detroit?
If it does, make sure you like noise all day

I have a detroit in mine, and every day I say to myself I would like to replace it with something quieter. 

I don't like the deere transmissions though.  I work a lot of steep stuff and do not like clutches.

Puffergas

Somebody painted my TJ green.

Didn't JD buy TJ  ??
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Spartan

Stoneyacrefarm

They did.
But I won't be owning one of the new ones.
Out of my league for sure.
Some yellow stripes on yours would fit along with my john Deere tractors for sure.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Stoneyacrefarm

Both Timberjacks I'm looking at have detroits in them.
The 540a sure was quiet.
Just too nervous about availability of parts for it.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on February 07, 2017, 09:19:10 PM
They did.
But I won't be owning one of the new ones.
Out of my league for sure.

what    the banks have millions you haven't got yet  :D 8)

jdeere540a

I wouldn't worry about parts availability on the 540 I have done the transmission and engine in mine And the only thing I had to buy used was the transmission input shaft. If the one your looking at is in good shape and you run it like it is a 40 year old machine you will bee fine. Mine is a 1975 and it runs almost every day I've had it for 8 years or so. With any old machine there will always be some part that's not available new anymore.

Thank You Sponsors!