iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poof! No hair!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, January 10, 2017, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, this will be my most embarrassing post to date. It was a tough lesson to learn and I was actually pretty lucky.

I have been lazy... In the off season, I had parked my 3-point skidder winch in front of my OWB. I should have moved it right away when I started burning this year, but I found I could open the door and it would just squeeze by. The door opens from right to left. Normally, I open the door slowly from the left side. This allows you to be protected from any flash which happens on occasion. Because the winch was in front and my wood pallets are on the right, I got in the habit of opening the door from that side. I figured just open it slow and any gasses would dissipate before opening it all the way therefore eliminating the potential for flash.

Bad idea... Over the holidays I was sick as a dog, so sick that I only dragged myself out the last day and a half of deer season (If you knew me, this would be a very good indicator of how lousy I felt...). Anyway, I don't know if I wasn't thinking clear because of that, or if I just wanted to hurry up and get back inside or whatever. The fact is I opened the door from the wrong side, too quickly and the fire flashed right in my face. I burned a bunch of hair (no, my receding hairline was not that bad to start...), my eyelashes, eyebrows, moustache and beard and it was like I had an instant suntan on my face. So, I share the following picture to show you how bad being lazy can be...

Farmerjw

I had a stocking cap do that, smelled so bad just threw it in the fire afterwards!  A few eyebrows from time to time, glad you are okay, nothing like that smell of burnt hair!!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Tom L

holy mackerel

hope it didn't burn your face too bad

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DMcCoy

Heard stories from gas co. guys about delayed ignition causing a flash,  close your eyes and have your eye lashes melt together and think you are blind.

lopet

Now you can start from scratch !  :)  ;D Been there done that and learned my lesson.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

samandothers

Quote from: Tom L on January 10, 2017, 01:51:01 PM
holy mackerel

More like Holy SMOKE!  Glad you were OK.  That is one you have to fess up the the better half... no hiding it. 

WV Sawmiller

DMFarm,

Have you thought about patenting the process for curling hair? You could make a fortune. :)

Thanks for posting and I am glad you appear not to be seriously hurt. Anybody can post when things are going well but it takes a brave man to post something embarrassing but if it helps keep someone else from getting hurt it is time well spent.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Have you ever noticed it's always happens when we are not paying attention,or don't want to take that extra 2-3 steps,or doing it a little diffeant than usually when something happens?   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Back when I was a candidate for the "Darwin" award I looked like that after looking down the barrel of a potato gun.It wouldn't fire so I set it aside for a couple days,looked down the barrel,pushed the igniter to see if she had spark and yessir she did have spark,new hairdo,singed eyebrows,and a very  custom beard.Fortunately I was wearing glasses.
Needless to say my wife was some impressed with her choice of a partner.The potato
gun was banished to the landfill.Makes for a good story,though.I am not just anybody's fool,just my own.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jemclimber

lt15

Andries

. . . and 47sawdust is too!
:o     ;D     :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Holmes

Now you know the gasifier part of the stove works.  ;D I Hope you're feeling better
Think like a farmer.

711ac

Maybe hair is like grass, it might just come back nice & thick........... and really green :D
Glad it wasn't worse 8)

Ron Scott

~Ron

Peter Drouin

Good one, :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

I have a very strong and fast flinch mechanism that has kept my hair curling to a minimum. Glad it was only your pride that was hurt.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Logging logginglogging

That happend to a guy here and he ended up in the hospital, not sure if he breathed in the fire and burned his lungs or what but he was in there for months!

DelawhereJoe

A few weeks back we had a birthday party for my Mother-in-law...well she leaned slightly to far over the cake and poof....to much hair product....I think my brother-in-law peed himself, just a little, I almost did.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

overclocking

I had that happen once to my face, since then I have learned if I open it when the fan is running it wont flash, and if its not running I open the dampener door for a minute to let out the gas before opening the front door. Then I yank the door open fast enough to let the gas escape while standing behind it.

I posted a video of one time it happened to me too and I caught the fireball on my dvr, then a buddy uploaded it on youtube. https://youtu.be/I38vjPj6KEw

square1

There were 1/2 dozen teens (including yours truly) having a BB gun war in and around the outbuildings at a neighboring farm when the kid that lived there produced a quantity of black gun powder.  In our teenage wisdom we thought it a great opportunity to do as we had seen on TV and made a small pile with a line of gunpowder to a large pile.  After several attempts to light the small heap, which of course would follow the line to the large heap for a glorious explosion, failed we gathered around the large pile and struck a match.  A huge POOF later there were 6 eyelashless, eyebrowless, peahfuzz-moustacheless, and hair-bangless idiots standing there.

On a more serious note, had this happen once when trying to re-lighjt a water heater.  The burner (which I didn't think to inspect) had rotted out, after enough natural gas built up in the space below the tank it ignited when I stuck a match in to light the pilot.  You know where your face is while lighting a pilot light, yep, right where the fire shoots out!  I was temporarily blinded and lost a lot of facial / forehead hair.

glassman_48

Deer Meadow Farm,
Last year when I got my first outdoor wood boiler, I did exactly what you did, one would think that I would of learned my lesson:)  A couple of weeks ago, I was in a hurry, opened the door to fast and thought I singed my eyeballs along with the rest of my face.  I usually wear safety glasses so when I pull ashes out of ash pan or stir embers, the soot won't get in my eyes.  Probably going to always wear safety glasses from now on. 

Cass007

I've had the gases ignite once or twice the first year I owned my boiler. Learned to open the flu and count to 10 or so before opening the main door and also have learned to check where the furnace is in it's burn cycle before opening. If it's running at full tilt, the likelihood of the fireball is much higher.
Becoming more Hillbilly with every passing year.

Thank You Sponsors!