iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chain cutter angles

Started by thutch85, February 28, 2017, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thutch85

I recently purchased a timberline chainsaw sharpener and guides to sharpen at 25, 30, and 35 degrees. I have done enough research to know 25 holds an edge longer and 35 cuts faster, but dulls quicker too. My chains are currently 30 degrees and I've been thinking about cutting them to 35. I usually only cut enough to load my truck at a time. I do so after work so saving time would help, even if i have to sharpen more often. My question is how big of a difference is there in cutting (dead ash) between the 30 and 35.

ButchC

More information needed, what are you running for chain? Semi chisel safety chain will never be fast, at least as it is defined in my world.   Clean Ash is not terribly difficult to cut but neither is it  cottenwood. I run Stihl RS and RSK and file it to what I call 30-30  chain most of the time, 30 degree angle, . 030  rakers. I find it to be a good balance of speed,  smoothness and safety but the careless can get into trouble with it.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

thutch85

i run a RS full chisel chain. currently. 025 rakers, I'll have to buy a .030 depth gauge and try that. i use the semi chisel low kick back chains when I get into thick bruch and tangled limbs.

Thank You Sponsors!