iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the advantages of a skip tooth chain?

Started by George Zarifis, July 15, 2015, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

Will I be able to run a longer bar with a skip tooth chain? Are there any more advantages over a regular chain? Any recommendations for a good skip tooth chain, maybe a chisel chain?
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

John Mc

Skip tooth is generally used when running longer bars in large wood. It does reduce the drag, allowing a longer bar than the saw would otherwise be able to handle. It also seems to reduce the preblem of chips sometimes clogging up in a longer cut.

Skip tooth is not the best choice for a saw which will be used for limbing or cutting other small diameter wood. It can feel rough or "grabby" in that type of cutting.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

George Zarifis

Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

luvmexfood

Less teeth to file.  ;DI have ran both on my Echo 590 and can't really tell a difference cutting. But I never paid close attention.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sawguy21

But file more often so it's a tradeoff. As John said, it tends to be too aggressive in small stuff and create problems for the operator.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

luvmexfood

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 15, 2015, 01:43:55 PM
But file more often so it's a tradeoff. As John said, it tends to be too aggressive in small stuff and create problems for the operator.
File more often=breaks more often. Sometimes in the hot summer not to bad. Gives you a chance to hydrate more.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!