iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plywood

Started by 4430jd, November 30, 2010, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4430jd

I saw my my own lumber for furniture using a WM15. Some of my work requires plywood such as cherry,oak,maple, and walnut. Plywood prices are out of sight. Living in central PA, any members know of a good supplier.

paul case

are you talking about a plywood with a veneer on it or what?pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SwampDonkey

Hardwood plywood 3/4" is at least $80 a sheet in these parts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

As mentioned plywood ain't cheap.  I am just glad the plywood mill up at Hudson Bay northeast of me about two hours or so is going to be in production again in the next year or so.  I like to buy their reject plywood by the lifts.  They usually sell it for less than half the price just to get rid of it.  Seems as though you need to know someone working at the mill or you'll never get your hands on it at the cheap prices.  Most of the time the plywood is rejected because it was cooked too long and the glue has hardened too much or the grain orientation is not square to the sheet.  Those that the glues are too hard usually need to be predrilled when used.  Air nailers can't penetrate the wood either and I have seen nails riccocheting in all directions.  Many people don't like to use the plywood because of this but in my opinion it is way stroinger.... so who cares if takes a lil more time to put use? Not me with the savings.  ;D 

I just priced out G1S 3/4" birch plywood the other day and you would not believe the price.... $94/ sheet.  G2S 3/4" birch plywood was $124.  Told the salesman at the lumberyard that I'll use 1" solid birch lumber that I already have and just plane and laminate it.  Oh well I guess my project will just take 3 men and a little ol' lady instead of 2 men to move.  I am building a full wall unit that will be 8 feet wide x 7.5 feet high by 24 inches deep. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

I made one of those from solid 7/8" ash  and hard maple on casters. I made it to be able to disassemble. Otherwise you'd need to hire a fork lift.  ;D I have 10 foot ceilings.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

thats outrageously high priced plywood!!!!!!!!!! :o   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SwampDonkey

Yes, when you consider most of the make up of a sheet now a days is aspen or softwood. And the economy doesn't seem to dictate local price either. You'll pay it or you'll never have it.  ::)

jimparamedic

Use 5/8" cdx plywood and make your own oak wulnut or cherry plywood first cut to rough size then glue on you own wood sand and use

Thank You Sponsors!