iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood chip gasification furnace

Started by Swing_blade_Andy, March 05, 2009, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swing_blade_Andy

Hi all again
How life brings us around in a big circle.
It's been 6 years since I gave up the timber business (sold my lucas mill) and now here I am again.
Not so much for the cutting of it.... although you never really get that wonderful cut oak small out of your nostrils

But for the buring of it.

I'm on the lookout for the latest in Gasification burners for domestic use that can take wood chip and waist as fuel.

Has anyone got any leads.... There is loads about all round the edges of the ask, but there's nothing that I can find which is a 'bang on walk in'.
If I can find it then I gotta get me one. PLease help guys.

Andrew

taxidermist

Hello,

I have a eko 60 gwb and love it. Are you looking for auto fill or a boiler you have to tend like a wood burner? EKO has a biomass burner or I belive they have a unit called a woodgun.

Look here....  http://www.upnorthenergy.com/_mgxroot/page_10762.html

Rob

jmsiowa

Those boilers from Up North look interesting!

Swing_blade_Andy

FOUND IT......... FOUND ITfound itfound itfound it....

I'll tell when I get the info, could be 'bang on'.

Andrew

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Greg

I would like to see clarification of some terms here.

I read up a little on the EKO boiler, and the say the following:

"Because the boilers use wood gasification combustion, they give unusually high overall heating efficiency. They use substantially less wood than conventional boilers and outdoor water stoves with no visible smoke when fully operating."

To me using the words gasification and combustion together in the same sentence is confusing at best, misleading at worst. Maybe the EKO owner can fill me in further. Its not just EKO, Tarm uses the same language.

I understood gasification to be a process of heating wood in the *abscence* of oxygen, which produces syngas. Combustion implies burning something which of course requires oxygen.

To my knowledge their are no wood gasification furnaces available, at least according to my definition ;-) Feel free to comment, straighten me out, shoot me down ...

Greg

JSNH

I had a Dumont boiler that used wood gasification combustion is the same way the Tarm does. The wood fire is hot but it does not have enough oxygen to completely burn.  The smoke goes into a secondary combustion chamber where more air is added. It now gets supper hot over 2,000 degrees F. The fire brick in mine glowed bright pink. The smoke and all unburned stuff burn in that secondary chamber thus no smoke exiting. I had it for 17 years doing all the heat and hot water never had to clean the chiminey. So is it wood gasification like Paul's truck, no but it does burn the wood gas so they promote that.

JSNH

Thank You Sponsors!