goose63

Thy got this kitty bought 50 miles from my place
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

samandothers

Dave Shepard

:o There's not a lot to worry about walking in the woods around here. I'd hate to run into one of those.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gearbox

We are becoming overrun with big cats . MN DNR denied they were here until more and more trail cam pictures . I saw 2 deer with skin flaps hanging off there front quarters .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

goose63

Quote from: Gearbox on February 18, 2018, 02:06:31 PM
We are becoming overrun with big cats . MN DNR denied they were here until more and more trail cam pictures . I saw 2 deer with skin flaps hanging off there front quarters .

For a long thie thy said we don't have them eather but now we have a season for them
goose

chevytaHOE5674

The Michigan DNR has dozens confirmed cougar sightings now but still say there isn't a "breeding population"...  Are all the cougars in the state either female or male? Are they neutered? Ha If they aren't breeding they how come the sightings and number of cats poached is continually on the rise? Haha

Had a horse attacked with its flesh shredded off it's rump a few years back and claw marks down it's hips and giant cat tracks in the mud. DNR came out and said it was "just wolves", even though the giant cat tracks were still present in the mud.... it was a joke.

barbender

I don't know why the DNR's are always so adamant about downplaying sightings and such. But I figure they shouldn't be too concerned with me taking out something that doesn't exist, anyway😊 Goose, was that cat snared?
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Everyone denies that they are around here. When someone has proof they say it wandered in from somewhere else. Well, I don't care where they are from, if they are here, then they are here, even if they are tourists.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

David,that is funny.
How can something be here,but not here either?  ???
That critter could eat a deer in one sitting.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

They don't like to admit they are here because then they would have to start actively managing them and that would cost money and man power that they don't have. Cheaper to pretend they don't exist.

Grizzly

We got similar thing happening here. PFRA had a cat clean up on a cow real good. Left lots of tracks and there was a picture on a trail cam set up on the cow before dark hit. By morning it was gone. We spotted on about 2 miles from home and I called it in. The officer asked several questions and then asked me not to talk about it. Some neighbours panic too quick. Strange. Must be what chevy is saying.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Southside

Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.  We had a Caracal cat show up on the farm about two years ago, was told they don't exist here, couple nights later it was eating the layers, click, boom and the answer changed to "uhh - gee - don't know what to say".   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

It's a curiosity thing with me but I always wonder why pictures of cats are usually taken with the hunter holding them as such?  Not just Mountain Lions but also Leopards, Jaguars, etc.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Looks like a really big kitty. What did he weigh? I'm not looking to hunt one but I have no problems with people shooting them where legal or they present a threat.

We have a local politician who had a public business and in it he had trophies from African hunts and one picture and a local newspaper article of a big jaguar he killed in South America. I read the article and discovered it was a "canned hunt" where the guide had trapped and penned the jaguar then released it and let his hounds tree it and our local nimrod came up and shot it. The jaguar had been penned a good while and was out of shape, was unfamiliar with the area where released, etc. and was unable to escape the hounds and treed quickly. Our politician said he had to leave the hide and such in SA because he did not have a hunting license or import license for the skin. I'd have been embarrassed to post the article or call myself a hunter under such circumstances.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

Nebraska has been having the same issue with big cats re-establishing territories for some years now. At first Game and Parks was denying that they even existed in Nebraska. But with the technology out there (trail cams) and the rare but occasional loss of livestock the proof became to evident to deny. in past years several have been hit and killed by vehicles on the highways, and in more recent years officers have had to corner and kill one in a fenced in back yard well inside the city of Kearney. The state did have a season on them just a few years back but I don know how many if any were harvested.

A lot of guys say if they see one they will shoot it. I don't understand this mentality as I have yet to hear of one attacking a human here in Nebraska. I can understand the farmer / rancher wanting to protect expensive livestock such as cattle, horses, lama, and maybe even a highly loved prized goat. but I disagree with killing such an apex predator over a few chickens.

Although I have no proof there have been tales of many of the big cats having tracking implants making it possible for Game and Parks to locate the animal in some capacity.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

starmac

Pretty much any rancher would at least try to kill them, if they move into an area and stay.

They can also wipe out the deer population in a hurry, I have read that a crown lion will kill a mule deer a week, hmm that is 52 a year for one cat.

They are hard to hunt and have any success ratio without dogs, some states have outlawed dogs, then a few years later offered cat tags for a dollar, funny how that works.

Where I lived in New Mexico, we didn't really have lions, but it was less than 200 miles to where there were huntable populations of them, and one would circle through where I lived occassionally and would generally cost a rancher or two some calves, and scatter their cattle over miles at times.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

goose63

barbender it was cought in a snare the guy is after yotes at $10 ahead lots of guys are after them
goose

petefrom bearswamp

I spotted the snare wire in the photo.
Had one pass thru NY a few yrs ago, several sightings,  was finally killed by a car I think in western Mass
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sandhills

In the last few years there has been 2 sightings I know of within 2 miles of my house, both by people I trust, our game and parks always said they weren't here too but like DPatton said they got one in Kearny and one in a tree overlooking a school playground a few years before.

barbender

I probably wouldn't kill one just because, but if it was around the house I would without hesitation. I've got kids and I take no chances.
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Like a Wolf shooting isn't easy . All I have seen is cat tracks with the tail imprint . Wolfs we see often for about 3 seconds . Time it and see if you can tell what it is get the gun up and shoot before it jumps into the brush .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Southside

Back when we lived in Oregon every year around spring at least one young male would get kicked out of his area and come down into the valley and without fail it would find its way into town.  Sometimes they just got chased off but more often than not someones dog got chowed on in the back yard and the Game and Fish folks would come and track it down, they were not relocated after that. 

Unless it happens to be running by at full speed an apex predator around my house and stock is not going to remain long.  I am all for conservation, and we do a lot to support wildlife on our own farm, to include not taking any deer under damage permits, fencing cattle out of areas of ground bird nesting, turtle laying, etc but there is no way I will support the re-introduction of apex predators.  Lets just say in 20 years technology allows science to bring back Saber Tooth Tigers or even a T-Rex - want one roaming around your back 40?  Got to draw the line somewhere. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

It was October 2000 just before sunset, and I was sitting at my table enjoying the view across the field behind my house,.  They had harvested the corn so my view of the field was excellent and I was hoping to see some deer as they crossed a worn path through the field. 

Movement from the woods caught my eye, and at first I thought it was a very large dog, It didn't move like any dog I'd seen, it was a low slung lopping stride.  I reached for the binoculars I kept in a drawer, and moved to directly behind the sliding door.  Lifted the binoculars, saw a cougar following the deer path.  Lowered the binoculars, looked with my own eyes.  Lifted the binoculars and could not believe what I was seeing. 

The first thing that surprised me about the appearance, was how much silver showed on it's fur, particularly on it's face and it's magnificent tail, longer than it's body and almost touching the ground. 

I had a friend that worked as a secretary at the State Police barracks, and when I told her the next day, she asked if I would tell what I'd seen to a patrol officer there, who was tracking sightings.  She transferred me to him, and when I had finished telling him, he asked me to please, please report this to a game officer, although he warned me that I would not be believed. 

I called the number and name provided by the trooper, and said, "I would like to report a cougar sighting."  He said, "Lady, you did not see a cougar,."  I said, "then I'd like to report seeing a mountain lion."  He said, "Lady you did not see a mountain lion."  So I said, "then I'd like to report a cat the size of a large German Sheppard."  He took my name and number, and I took his name and number, just in case this imaginary cougar hurt someone. 
Say when

coxy

we have seen them around this area to   there was a reason the old timers got ride of them  i support the SSS side of things

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Gearbox on February 19, 2018, 10:55:32 AM
Like a Wolf shooting isn't easy . All I have seen is cat tracks with the tail imprint . Wolfs we see often for about 3 seconds . Time it and see if you can tell what it is get the gun up and shoot before it jumps into the brush .

Get some livestock you will see wolves for long periods of time trying to outsmart the cattle and stalk up on them. Once the donkeys notice them and charge and bray the wolf dissappears quickly. haha 

Also for those times you notice them before the donkeys I suggest a nice long range rifle...

Thank You Sponsors!