iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rebuilding 440 basket case

Started by OneWithWood, April 02, 2009, 11:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am slowly getting around to rebuilding the Stihl MS440 that I killed a while back.  I have a new piston, a carb rebuild kit, new intake hose and new gaskets.  If all I had to do was tear it down and replace the piston it would be no problem.  But when I got the saw back from the saw shop it was in a box in about as dismantled a shape as possible.

I have a parts breakdown with pictures so I have some guidance.

To date my experience with chainsaw maintenance has been limited to changing sprockets and setting the rpm.  I have experience with four stroke motorcycle and auto engines, just not two-strokers.

Are any of you able to point me in a direction to find some literature for rehabbing a 440?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cut4fun

If someone dont hook you up with the 044 440 service manual through email pretty soon.
My connection speed is to slow to send through emails.

PM me and I will burn you a copy of all my Stihl IPL and Service Manuals (almost all the stihls).

Al_Smith

It isn't that big of a deal to get one back together .,I've done a few myself  ;)

If a person were to do a little search of the internet you might be able to find a few pictorial representations of how exactly to reassemble that thing .

There may some on this site for all I know .

joe_indi

When you say dismantled shape does it mean that the crank case too has been opened up and the crankshaft is out of the saw?
What about the chain brake assembly, has that too been dismantled?

Would it be possible for you to post a picture?

OneWithWood

The crancase is together but that is all.  Everything else is individual pieces, including the brake.
One With Wood

joe_indi

First thing to do is  install the piston and cylinder.

See if you can do it with this
http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/cylinder_kit_instructions.pdf

Though I've not bought anything from Bailey's Online, while browsing I had viewed this file and thought it very useful.

Post when you are have finished the installation or if you face any difficulty.

OneWithWood

Just an update:

With all the rain I finally found the time to put the puzzle together.

She is up and purring just like old times  8) 8)

Thanks for all the help  :)
One With Wood

Al_Smith

Good deal .See,I told you there was nothing to it . ;)

ElectricAl

OneWithWood,

Did you buy the factory top end kit or go with an after market kit.

I tore the pulse tube for the carb and it leaned out. The saw just stopped running. When I pulled the muffler off to look inside I had a melt down of my own.

Our local Stihl dealer quoted close to $400 for the top end kit.

$600 for parts and labor at the dealership.

Now MS441 is $805 with a 24" bar.

Baileys has a Big Bore kit for $130.
www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?return=review&item=BBN%20044

Any one try this kit?

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Al_Smith

Sometimes and I repeat sometimes you save a lean burnt saw with just piston and a set of rings .

If a dealer did it you can bet it will be new bearings,cylinder piston,the whole nine yards .

That's not always neccessary .

OneWithWood

I went with the kit Bailey's sells.  Came with good and clear instructions.

Before I got to putting it into wood I noticed the gas tank was weeping.  I bought a new tank, tore it down and replaced the tank Saturday when it was raining (again!).

Fired right up.  I hope to cut some wood this afternoon.
One With Wood

OneWithWood

:D :D :D

Cut great for about 20 minutes.  Was just commenting to myself how much I liked this saw when I heard a pop and it shut down.  When I pull the starter rope it just spins aimlessly  ::)

Hope to tear it down this weekend.

What do you think I am going to find?
One With Wood

Grey Eagle

Reminds me why I don't miss being a mechanic anymore.  Ex car mechanic that is.  Don't know too much about chain saws, but, sounds like you don't have any compression for some reason.

OK, I'll take a shot in the dark.  The rod came loose at the crank.

Be curious to find out the real reason!

ElectricAl

I was going to order the Big Bore kit this weekend. But in light of your compression issue, I think I'll wait.

Did you buy the standard bore kit or a Big Bore kit?

This is the first Stihl chain saw I've ever had problems with.

The saw is fairly new, I'm on the second chain.

Thanks for the update.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

OneWithWood

Al, I bought the standard kit.

It turns out I sheered the woodruff key.  Fairly minor repair. 

I am thinking the key sheared because I did not have the proper torque on the nut that holds the starting mechanism to the shaft.

One With Wood

boobap

the happened to me also, i was bucking, shut it down and heard a pop...went to start it and nothing. just make sure you use that decomp EVERY time it is started...that will put major strain on that key!

Thank You Sponsors!