iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it

Started by 21incher, September 27, 2017, 02:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I was picking through some old boxes of my dads tools and found this little thing.

I have no idea what it is used for

I also found this

And think It mat be some kind of drill stop as everything was in 1 box and it seemed to clamp on the drill pretty tight.

I also found a couple funny looking drill bits that I was wondering what they would be used for.

It almost looks like they would make a tapered hole. :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LittleJohn

My best guess is that the bottom two pictures, of the "bits" are just that, bits for a bit and brace (first cordless hand drill).  no idea for why they are tapered, other than maybe to reduce the cutting forces, or for chip removal.  Drill bits for powered tools would have a straight shaft at the ends, not the tapered diamond ;)

...all the other tools no idea.

Savannahdan

The first one appears to be a Stanley bit depth gauge (does it have 575 on it?) and the second one is a bit depth gauge as well.  I like that the second one has the v-groove for holding the drill bit.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

21incher

Quote from: Savannahdan on September 27, 2017, 04:14:42 PM
The first one appears to be a Stanley bit depth gauge (does it have 575 on it?) and the second one is a bit depth gauge as well.  I like that the second one has the v-groove for holding the drill bit.
Yes it does it has a 575 stamped on each half. Thanks, I would have never figured that one out I thought it was a part of another tool that was long gone. I was just about ready to send it to the junkyard for kbeitz to find. There is no question that goes unanswered on the Forestry Forum.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DelawhereJoe

Those old bits with the square bottom end look like they go you one of the old hand crank drills, the kind with the spunning middle wood handle and the spinning flat wood top. There is a chance they are so old that they have just been worn down from sharpening or breaking then sharpening again.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Larry

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on September 27, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
Those old bits with the square bottom end look like they go you one of the old hand crank drills, the kind with the spunning middle wood handle and the spinning flat wood top.

Young one, that's called a brace.  Every telephone installer in the world (over the age of 37) knows what they are and how to use one. ;D ;D

Wooop's, we don't have telephone installers anymore. :D  Showing my age. :-\
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DelawhereJoe

I've got 2 of them, but have only known them as hand powered drill. If I called them a hand powered drill it made more reference to the hand cranked gear driven ones. But thank you for telling me the correct name for it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

21incher

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on September 27, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
Those old bits with the square bottom end look like they go you one of the old hand crank drills, the kind with the spunning middle wood handle and the spinning flat wood top. There is a chance they are so old that they have just been worn down from sharpening or breaking then sharpening again.
I have a couple of braces and a stack of regular bits, but these 2 bits and a couple more have a totally  different angle, cutting edge, and tip style. They do not drill wood very good and just tear out splinters. Wondering if they were made for drilling a different material. :)

SlowJoeCrow

The cutting tips on the drill bits look like drill bits for tile/porcelain/glass.  Bet they were for that??

low_48

The tapered ones look like gimlets to me. Usually the hand turned ones have a thread on the end to pull them into the wood, but with an tang on the end that wouldn't be needed.

Don P

it is interesting that the bit and brace were probably made by Fuller mfg back in the day and we call a tapered drill bit nowadays a fuller bit... where's Paul Harvey, there has to be a rest of the story.
Looking at the overall bit, that lowermost tapered bit, I don't think this is the first generation it has passed through, they were using designs like the spoon bit and other ideas then, it could be early tech.

21incher

I am wondering if the tapered bits could have been for drilling plaster walls to install wires or the old ceramic insulators. :)

low_48

Thank You Sponsors!