iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making sausage

Started by Raider Bill, August 01, 2016, 02:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: scgargoyle on August 10, 2016, 04:44:09 AM
Ours is 33 years old, and built like a tank. I also knead bread dough in large batches, and it just keeps goin'.
I got thinking about it last night and figure dad's must be at least 40 years old. I never heard him complain about lack of power or overheating and he used to work it hard.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

The Kitchen Aid I referenced earlier is a newer model.
Maybe this is why it doesnt do the job.
Wife gave the 25 yr old one to our daughter.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

Quote from: scgargoyle on August 07, 2016, 02:44:48 PM
Chicken Spinach Feta Sausage

5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs  (Takes about 7-1/2 to 8 lbs. bone-in)

Two 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed- press out excess water

1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup powdered milk

2 TBL dried marjoram

2 TBL black pepper

2 TBL minced fresh garlic

2 TBL paprika

1 TBL salt

1 TBL onion powder

1/2 tsp cayenne ( I use 1 tsp)

5 tsp white wine

Cut chicken into chunks that will fit in your grinder, and freeze partially. Grind on a small plate. Mix in remaining ingredients thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight, and stuff into casings or shape patties. I grind the spinach and feta in with the chicken as the cheap spinach I buy is kind of 'chunky'. We enjoy the patties with cooked onions and peppers and cheese on a nice bun. You want to oil the pan or grill, as there is no added fat in the sausage.

Have you ever put this into casings?

I just picked up the thighs for this recipe so looks like this weekend I'll be making it.

thecfarm

We have the professional grade one. Second set of gears are going into it. BUT she does ALOT of bread in hers. Bread is hard on the gears. If I see an older one,I will buy the DanG thing fast. Even if the gears are gone.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

Yes, I usually stuff sausage, but I was out of casings the last time I made it. Which reminds me- I still haven't ordered any!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Carson-saws

This Forum clearly shows the multitude of skills and talents, knowledge and passion in so many different arenas.  I don't know if it exists,  BUT, if it doesn't...Jeff might think about taking all these different recipes from so many different "styles..tastes" and put together a Forestry Forum Cook Book.  Next thing ya know you'll be seeing Jeff on the "Cooking network"..or HSN selling the book and proceeds going toward the Forum. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Mooseherder

Under the Header in Extras, then Knowledge Base You'll find some gems in there.  There's a link for food. :)
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/tips/tips.cgi?Food!

Raider Bill

Saturday was sausage making day!!

SCGargoyle Johns Chicken Spinach, Feta sausage.

I bought 3 packs of thighs @ .99 lb totaling 17 lbs When de-skinned and boned I ended up with 8 lbs. There was excessive skin left on by the grocery store bringing up the poundage so they make more $$. So basically they were about $2.00 lb due to waste.

First time with my new Turbo-force 3000 grinder. I have to say it works great compared to the kitchen aide.

So here it is!

I covered it with parchment paper and let set in fridge over night before freezing.

Of course I had to try some so last night I whipped up some angel hair in butter and garlic topped with tomato, peach brushetta and fresh Italian bread.

DELISH!

LeeB

It looks great. I would have to substitute the pasta with zucchini noodles and no bread for me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

I would of put the sausage between the bread and asked for more.  ;D That looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bricklayer51

We had two batches of venison sausage left in the freezer so yesterday we ground mixed and stuffed a batch. Been in the smoke house for two hours now. Should be enjoying some around three .

Raider Bill

It looks like we are getting 2 hogs from the Amish in November. I'm going to have them grind and mix my spices in the sausage that we get out of 1 of them. They generally run 250-280 on the hoof.

We'll get chops and pork steaks then grind everything else.

I'm on the lookout for a pressure stuffer now.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Carson-saws on August 13, 2016, 06:37:30 PM
........put together a Forestry Forum Cook Book........

I SECOND THE MOTION
"let the machines do the work"

Raider Bill

petefrom bearswamp

FF cookbook?
Good idea.
My wife can add it to her collection of 30 to 40 cookbooks.
Now if only she would use them.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bricklayer51

Just got done packing the casings let it sit overnight smokehouse tomorrow

curved-wood

What kind of sausage are you doing ? I am interested in your smokehouse, could you send photos ?

Bricklayer51

It is venison my smokehouse is 8 inch concrete block inside 4ftx4ft by 6ft high laid on a 14inch thick pad with steel roof. I will see if my buddy can put some pictures on here when he gets back from boston.

millwright

Just got a new stuffer, a lem hand crank. It's amazing how much better it works than my old one. Another thing learned on the FF 

Thank You Sponsors!