iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for demo logs in Ohio for the Shootout

Started by Meadows Miller, September 12, 2011, 11:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

I just thought I would ask if there are any loogers who would lke abit of timber milled up for free if they supply the logs at the Shootout in Ohio  ???

I would be looking to get something firm nutted out by the end of this week fellas  ;) ;D

Thanks

Best regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Autocar

Bill

SPIKER

I havent heard much lately about one, where and when?   might be able to drag out a couple maples from the woods perhaps a beech or hickory if ya want a challenge.   

that would also depend on where its at...   

mark m
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

DouginUtah

It was recently announced that the 2011 Great Portable Sawmill Shootout will move just a bit closer to us over here on the Left Coast. Here at Bailey's we think the move to partner with The Official Paul Bunyan Show at the Guernsery County Fairgrounds in Ohio this October is a great decision. The dates for the event are October 7-9, 2011 - much later in the year than previous years.

335 Old National Road, Lore City, OH

NE of the junction of I-70 and SR 285.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Autocar

If thats the case they will furnish all the logs he will need  ;)
Bill

Jeff

Quote from: Walter on February 16, 2011, 12:07:13 PM
Hi Folks,

We're excited to announce that the The Great Portable Sawmill Shoot Out is taking place Oct 7-9 at the Paul Bunyan Show in Cambridge Ohio.  The Forestry Forum has been an invaluable partner in helping us spread the news---thanks Jeff!

I want to keep everyone current so I'll be posting on here as new information is available.

Here's where things stand as of today.

What: The Great Portable Sawmill Shoot Out and the S&W Sponsored Seminar Series
When: Oct 7-9, 2011
Where: The Paul Bunyan Show
            Guernsey County Fairgrounds
            335 Old National Road
            Old Washington, OH  43768

Details as of 2/16/11 for The Great Portable Sawmill Shoot Out (Participants)

Baker Products
EZ Boardwalk
Hud-Son Forest Products
Logosol
Lucas Mills/Bailey's
Norwood Industries
Woodmizer

I will be adding a few more to this list within the week or so.  In addition, I'll list the mills that will be participating.  Stay tuned for more!

S&W Sponsored Seminars will be held at the Paul Bunyan Show as well.  We have confirmed that Dr. Eugene Wengert will lead the series along with others.  More details on the seminars will be available soon.

If you have any question email me and I'll get back to you. 

Once again, thanks to Jeff and the Forum members that have supported us over the years.  I am looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible in October.

Best

Walter Andrzejewski
Publisher
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

NEW Posting: Sawmill & Woodlot Seminars Offered at The Paul Bunyan Show

October 7, 2011

8:30 AM to 10:00 AM        Managing the Small Woodlot        Speaker: Skip Mourglia

Managing the Small Woodlot: Tending a woodlot is both science and art.  Much like gardening, a forest owner decides what should be grown, tended, and receive the highest priorities.  Knowing when to act and exactly what to do is the valuable information woodlot owners must have before forest work begins. Skip will share her years of forest tending experience, both as a Tree Farmer and as a professional forester working with private forest owners.  Come prepared to learn a lot!

Skip Easter lives in Monett, Mo and tends her Tree Farm in Southwest Missouri in her spare time.  She works as a forester for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, providing forest and wildlife management expertise to private, rural landowners in southwest Missouri.  She is a contributor to Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine and a member of the Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out team.

11:00 AM to 12:30 PM   Think Before You Saw: The Mental Part of Hardwood Sawing               Speaker: Eugene Wengert

Think Before You Saw: The Mental Part of Hardwood Sawing : Compared to casual sawing procedures, certain careful procedures ca increase the overall lumber value by 20% and the yield of No. 1 Common and better by 30%.  The extra time needed is minimal.  Learn the practical techniques in this seminar.

Eugene Wengert, Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin-Madison, is President of The Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC.  He author's the Sawing & Drying column in Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine and is a major contributor to the tree species pull-outs as well.  He is a well known teacher, being able to translate the complex into practical suggestions and guidelines in sawing and drying.

3:00 PM to 4:30 PM       Manufacturing Strong, Straight Softwood Construction Lumber                    Speaker: Eugene Wengert

Manufacturing Strong, Straight Softwood Construction Lumber: Learn what the sawyer can do to make sure that the lumber will stay straight and meet grading requirements for upper grades. A brief discussion on drying concludes the seminar.

Eugene Wengert, Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin-Madison, is President of The Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC.  He author's the Sawing & Drying column in Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine and is a major contributor to the tree species pull-outs as well.  He is a well known teacher, being able to translate the complex into practical suggestions and guidelines in sawing and drying.

October 8, 2011         

8:30 AM to 10:00 AM       Hardwood Lumber Grading Part 1   Speaker: Eugene Wengert

Hardwood Lumber Grading Part 1: Learn the simplified grading rules for hardwood lumber with a brief written test.

11:00 AM to 12:30 AM       Hardwood Lumber Grading Part 2  Speaker: Eugene Wengert

Hardwood Lumber Grading Part 2: Practice grading on about 30 actual pieces of lumber followed by a pictorial exam to test your understanding.

3:00 PM to 4:30 PM    Lumber Drying for the Small Sawmill        Speaker: Donald Lewis

Lumber Drying for the Small Sawmill: The program will look at the various methods of drying, small and larger kilns, predryera, firewood drying and sterilization. Costs to set up and costs to run will be explored.

Donald C. Lewis PE is the founder of Nyle Dry Kiln Systems which are now produced by Nyle Systems LLC where he is employed as CTO. He     holds several patents in the technology that allowed dehumidification drying to operate at temperatures as high as 200F.  With over 35 years experience and thousands of kiln installations around the world, Lewis has an unmatched depth of knowledge of practical solutions regardless of the type of drying system used.

Go to www.ohioforest.org to register.  Seating is limited so register early!

Thanks

Walter
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ohio_Bill

I think the seminars are a great opportunity and have singed up for all 6 of them. Hope to see some of the other members there.

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Thank You Sponsors!