iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 170

Started by J_T, February 10, 2006, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_T

Ben working on a 170 Franklin powershift does anyone know if the tourk converter is filled from the transmition or is filled seprately ??? This thing is driving me nutter than I already am . :D :D
Jim Holloway

J_T

First time I didn't come up with an answer  ??? So I got out my Southern loggin times an went thrugh the adds an started calling those folks  :-[ Called Tennessee Forestry Equipment in Calhoun Tn on Sat moring got a nice man that told me he didn't know but the shop man would but he was off today but he would call him at home an make sure he was awake to give him a few minnets then I could call him as he gave me his home phone number  ;D Even though they aren't close to me if I need anything they get first chance.
Jim Holloway

duffdav

I have a 1977 model Franklin 170 which fills from the transmission lines. I have had the torque converter out three times and never had to fill it from anywhere else.

One word to the wise when working on an automatic transmission.  I had to replace the mainshaft and a bearing in mine and didn't get a front cover gasket so I made the mistake of using silicon. $1200 worth of parts got it back together with no more gears clashing but had no first or third gear. I had to pull everything right back out and found I had small balls of silicon clogging the clutchpack oil holes. I decided since I was down that far to replace the clutchpack discs. I got to where  I needed a bearing puller for a bearing up against a gear made on a shaft. Parts have scattered everywhere after four years. Probably will never find everything again to ever get it back together. The $2500 453 Detroit I had only run a month is now stuck probably from rain running in the exhaust. About decided to junk it out.

J_T

Thanks duffdave 8) Will rember that  8) May need lots of parts this one has a cummins on it 5.9 with turbo ??? Has grappel and winch too
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!