iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

try this one

Started by OneWithWood, July 21, 2009, 06:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I came accross this tree in the middle of one of my regen openings.
What do you think it is? 

Sorry about the quality of the pics.  I had to fight my way through a lot of raspberry cains to get next to it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

It looks like a variety of formosa to me. 
Say when

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Like Lee said, very elmy to me.  Feels winged elmy :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Seems like elm with the unsymmetrical leaf base and the bark. I'm guessing American elm, they will grow anywhere around damp ground in the woods. Funny though, I never see it deep in the woods where we are cutting brush, mostly in the river valleys and settlements.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

SD, WDH and I will go for an elm hat trick, as I will go with slippery elm. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

OneWithWood

Hmmm.....

Would you possibly consider Ailanthus? 
One With Wood

Dodgy Loner

No, the prominent parallel lateral veins rule out ailanthus, as does the furrowed bark (ailanthus bark would be smooth). Those definitely appear to be simple leaves, rather than compound. Notice the smaller, thinner leaves near the growing tip, which indicates that that is a growing branch tip, and not the end of a compound leaf.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

You could be right on the actual species Dodgy, the leaf spacing along that stem is too tight and the base of the leaves are not typical for American but still asymmetrical. Bark sure looks American.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SamB

You guys are more analytical than me when it comes to identifying trees, my first thought after viewing the pics and considering OWW home turf was Black Walnut. I can see what DL is saying about the leaves and if it is an elm I'd lean more toward Winged Elm. But I'll leave it the experts to hand down a final decision. :)

SPIKER

I'm not sure on this with pic above, bark looks to be elm, but the stems appear to have too many leafs.  I will have to look MORE to make any thoughts clear...   Didnt sleep well at all. over worked yesterday...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

It is definitely not a compound leaf.  American elm will have a relatively smooth leaf (if you lick it with your tongue.  DonK is a wood licker, so he may be able to give some licking pointers ;D).  If it is rough, it is most likely winged elm or slippery elm.  Slippery elm is very very rough to the tongue.  The bark looks winged, but the leaves look slippery :).   Elm you ever to lick one of those leaves, tell us about it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

So, set a piece on fire and give it a french kiss and get back to us.   :D
Say when

WDH

And, be sure to take pics of the whole procedure ;D.

SwampDonkey

How come we never had Dendro TA's in college like WDH and Roxie?  :D :D

OneWithWood

Good conversation  :)

Just to keep it going.  Aren't the leaves a bit large for elm and perhaps the wrong shape? 
The leaves on the end do appear to be elm-like but the others are quite large 6-8" and fat all the way to the tip (unscientific term warning).
Juvenile leaves?

Danny and Roxie, do you really want me to fight my way through that thorny thicket again to kiss a tree? 
One With Wood

DanG

I'll answer that for them; Yes they do! ;D :D :D

And don't forget to take your Bic with you, or we'll send you in again!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Thank you DanG.  Well said!   8)
Say when

WDH

After you are done licking, check the leaf bases to see if they are inequilateral.

rambo

Ailanthus or Little Walnut. Need some better pics.

WDH

rambo,

The plant has simple leaves, not compound leaves like Ailanthus or Walnut.

Don K

Danny, licking leaves does not give this same instant results as wood licking unless of course one licked some poison ivy.  :D :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Yes, leaf-licking is a whole nother skill  ;D.

rambo

WDH,

Thanks for showing me that. I did not see it at first gland. I think your right ,the Elm has it.

Thank You Sponsors!