iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett skidder support

Started by mad murdock, July 02, 2010, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

To all who are interested.  Don Garrett, the late owner of Garrett Enumclaw, who supported Garrett skidders, from the model 10 up to the latest production models, died a few months back, kind of all of the sudden.  Adam Garrett is liquidating what parts he can, and they will probably be shutting down the business by the end of this year.  If you have a need for parts, or manuals etc. etc.  the time to get them would be now.  IF any other Garrett owners are on the forum, maybe we could form some sort of association that the family would consider bequeathing blueprints and or other documents to so a group could continue supporting the older iron that is still out there.  Any ideas?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-85948
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-85949

Trying to figure out this photo posting thing.  If it works you should see a couple of shots of my Garrett Skidder. :-\
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

mad
You are doing fine on the photo thing, up to a point.  ;D

They are in your gallery, and you can now put the images in your post by clicking on the sentence in green (just scroll down and see that line below your gallery pic).

Also, can check your progress by clicking on the Preview button before clicking on the Post button. Make any changes that corrects what you are not happy with.

The skidder looks like it will get you some wood out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

OK Been There, I found the line you were talking about, here goes nothing

WOW  It works!  Thanks for the helpful tip.  I had to copy and paste the html to the post, as my browser probably is non-compliant (Firefox).  I am finally getting the hang of this thing!

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

mad murdock

Here are scanned copies of the original advertisement from 1964

I hope you can see the info ok.  Kind of hard to see when I resized it for the upload.

John Woodworth

Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

John Woodworth

mad murdock : next paint job Old Catipiller Yellow was the original color.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

Thanks for the info John.  I hope to be rebuilding the engine this winter, and that will be a good time to repaint.  It looks like an old Allis Chalmers color now, don't know the history on the current color.  There is a guy near Cannon Beach, ORE who has a model 15 gas powered, he told me his machine has an extra joint in the center, that it is sort of double articulated, and can really snake through the woods, as it can double over on itself. He said he thinks it was a factory option.

John Woodworth

I don't know what the man told you about double articulated, I can't remember the steering on the 15, do you have one steering cylinder or two working through a Idler arm, thats what the 21 uses and the idler arm is on the front frame between the hinge pins with a cylinder to the frdouble articulatedont and a cylinder to the rear. The Garrett turns so short to start with that it can't double articulate with out drive line problems, see if you can get a picture of his set-up.

mad murdock

I will see if he still has his machine and try to get a pic.  My machine has one steering cylinder on the left side.  I will be getting whatever info I can from Adam before the opportunity is gone for good.

John Woodworth

mad murdock: I've been thinking about the machine you were talking about and wonder if it wasn't  a Garrett 20, they look very much like a 15 only a bit bigger, as I remember they had dual turn cylinders with a idler, If you see the machine the 20's had a 353 Detroit for power and a mdl 9 Gearmatic winch. Wonder if thats the case and he's thought it was a 15 all along.

redlaker1

howdy all,   I just got a small garrett skidder so I hope I havent missed the boat here.    its a bit of a fixer upper but I havent been able to go over it too thoroughly yet.   
so I have a few questions,   I think from reading a bit that it is the smallest garrett model 10?   it is about 6'6" wide,   and around 14' long.     it has a 4cyl gas engine.   

it sure would be nice to get some literature and information on it.    not sure if garrett had parts or service manuals.     
as well if anyone knows of any common issues or weaknesses to keep an eye out for.

I will try and take a picture or two and post them up

John Woodworth

redlaker1: there is nothing avaible as far as manuals for the 10, I've had mine for 30 years and was never able to get anything, most everything is covered in the 15 manual if you can find one.

The weak points on the 10 are the head gasket, the axle cone washers, make sure to check the axle nuts regularly, when they loosen up the axle works and will snap the studs, also if you ever rebuild the motor the 272 should not be bored more than .30 or it will overheat, if it needs more than that have it sleeved back to standard.

Always use a metalic clutch even though a standard ford clutch will fit you end up with shifting problems and holding a adjustment with the automotive disc.

The 10 is a good machine don't run anyting more than 1/2'' on the drum and that will hold anything it will pull, what I like about them is where ever you can get the blade through the machine will go, perfect for thinning.

The Biggest problem you will face is tires, babysit what you have as there is nothing on the market, I ended up using 12x28 tractor tires which on my rims bring it down to10x28 the correct size but you have to be a lot more careful where you go.

Any questions I can help you with let me know.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Redlaker1.  Congrats on your Garrett 10 acquisition.  I had never known of Garrett prior to buying my machine, since I cut my teeth in the woods back in the Great Lakes region, standard fare was Franklin, CanCar, TJ, JD, IH, Case, Pettibone, etc.  After getting my machine, I did a bit of research into Garrett and was edumicated on the history of the skidder, to say the least.  When you have a Garrett, you are going back to the roots of modern day skidders, as Dwight Garrett first built the articulated AWD skidder in 1949.  There is a wealth of knowledge on the FF, and as I stated in the beginning of this post, there may be a few parts/pieces kicking around back in Enumclaw, but Adam Garrett is winding things down with Garrett Enumclaw for good by the end of this year, you will have to contact him to see if there is anything that he has that could be of help on your machine. 

redlaker1

here is a few pics of my little skidder,  havent brought it home yet but plan to in the next few days.   the owners agreed to me buying it only on the condition that I give it a good home and get it running and use it.

a few questions,     does anyone know the ballpark weight of one of these units?    and where would be a good place to look for specs on the engine, trans, axles and winch?  

I really havent had a chance to look it over much,   but will when I get it to my place.   probably work on it as a winter project.    I am a journeyman HD mechanic so I am no novice,   but I dont have much experience with gas engines, forestry equipment,  or anything this old really.   but I think it should be pretty simple once I get into it.  

looking forward to getting this unit running,    thanks for the help and info guys

John Woodworth

redlaker1: looks just like mine, mine was sold new in 1964 and yours is in that ball park as the later ones had a different frame. the engine is a Ford Industrial 172 Ci. Rear ends are Rockwell common in the older 1 1/2 ton trucks but the gear ratio is 8:3 to 1 if I remember right, the trans came off the old Ford Flathead truck (1/2-1ton) motors. your winch is a gearmatic mdl. 8A.

Where are you located at? would almost be easier to pass some of the important things that I've run into through the years by phone.

I can run some copyies of the important things if you can't find books but I don't wan't to get too involved there as last year I coppied the bulk of the complete 15 manual for a guy here on the forum and for what it cost me never even got a thanks.

E-Mail me if you want to get in touch, will be glad to help.

redlaker1

thanks for the offer John,  I may take you up on that someday.

right now I still need to get the machine over to my garage so I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate weight of a garrett model 10.

I measured  and it will fit on my car hauler,  but not sure if it would be too heavy and if I should borrow my friends gooseneck float

thanks again

oh I am up in canada,  northern ontario

John Woodworth

Redlaker1: i believe the 10 weighs around 7000lbs, I've hauled mine many times on tandem axle utility trailers without any problems.

treefarmer87

i have never seen any around here, i would like to buy one and fix it up.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redlaker1

well I got the old girl home.    going to be a while before I will have the time to get it in the garage and start the restoration...   but I am really looking forward to it
everything went well getting it here and it winched on nicely.
here is a few pics

thanks for the help and tips

John Woodworth

Redlaker1: it's nice to see the pictures, someone in the past has realy taken care of it even still having the running lights is something,there are panels missing on the front l/R of frame you will notice the bolt holes, plan on putting something back as it is a trap for sticks without.

Do you know the history of how it got to your area, it,s unusal to be that far from where it was built especialy how rare they are.

Old Catipiller yellow when it comes to paint time, mine has the same Navy Grey primer underneath.

They are close quartered in the operators position and may take a bit to get used to the steering but is the quickest in the woods and wherever you can get the blade through the rest will follow.

Am interest to see your progress, thats the best looking 10 I,ve ever seen and know you'll enjoy it once it's running.

redlaker1

I'm not too sure about the history of the machine,   I plan to ask the family I got it from as it belonged to their father.        its funny actually I found a good friend of mine has a garrett skidder as well that is still being used.  it doesnt have the canopy on it it though,   they use it for towing and winching floatplanes out of the water.     I know the guy that maintained it for many years so I know he will be a good source of information.

I had a chance to look it over again quickly today and turned over a few times with the fan hub,   there are lots of little things that need attention though..  lots of play in the linkages on the blade and steering valves,  pedals,  and definitely needs new pto and throttle cables,   u-joints, needs new rad possibly because there was no cap on it.    lots of it is minor,  but being a mechanic I am a bit picky

I am starting to gather enough gear for a small woods operation   haha   this will take a bit of strain off my mini excavator  which is my dozer/crane/yarder/woodloader/skidder/excavator

mad murdock

Thanks for posting the pics Redlaker1.  You will not regret getting the ole girl shipshape, as John says, they are one of the best machines in the woods for snaking in tight quarters.  For the rest of you on the forum who may have an interest in acquiring a Garrett, check out the classifieds in the Capital Press Ag newspaper, here is the link.  There is an occasional machine that shows up in there from time to time.  http://www.capitalpress.com/Classifieds/results/?CategoryLink=IRRIGATION,HEAVY-FARM&ClassificationID=1410&operator=search  or maybe you will find one on Craigslist like I did, but hey, there is a lot of good old iron out there, if a guy needs a machine, and looks around.  I see lots of equipment sitting idle these days.

Thank You Sponsors!