iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine logs are unraveling !!!! Why???

Started by eddiebo, September 08, 2012, 06:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

I cut some drout killed standing pines a couple weeks ago. The wood was solid and tight all the way up. I went to saw some of the logs today, and most of the logs are cracked full length, and separating at the growth rings. What's happening here? The logs were solid logs and now I am shocked to see what has happened. Should I have sawn them right away and stored boards instead of logs? Or are they just no good? I have the option to cut many more of these, but need advise on what to do? I wanted to make square cants out of these for log construction, but .........
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

beenthere

Sounds a bit strange, but would like to see some pics of what you are seeing.
thanks

A radial check would be typical, but the separation along the growth ring not.  May just be in the description. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

eddiebo

I will get a pic on here, but on the ends the logs have circular cracks following the rings on the ends. Cracks are at least 1/4 inch wide. Like I could remove the center heart of the tree. Crack as in cingular crack along the top of the logs are pretty wide as if the outer layer is about to peel off. Very disapointing, but glad this happened while stacked instead of on the house I planned to build with them. Maybe since they were standing dead, the heat and humidity here just finished them off by drying them too fast.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

eddiebo

Why ????? I uploaded A  pic of the crack and unraveling log to my album, but cant post it here. Please check it out there.

PAFaller

That think looks like you kiln dried it whole!
It ain't easy...

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

beenthere

eddie
You are so close to posting your pic, just go to the "click here to add Photos to post" tab, and then to your gallery. Select your pic, and when it comes up full size, scroll down to where the blue button says attach to your post. The scrolling down I think is the confusing step. When you click on it, a window will ask Yes/No and it will pop up in your post. Like magic. :)  But always click on the preview button to be sure it is right, as it can be fixed if not.

The pic shown looks like a lot more time than a couple weeks since cut, but then I'm not that familiar with degrade in stored SYP logs.

I'd not give up on them until you saw a few to see how far from the end the delam in the rings go. That compression wood does some wierd things. Might be the culprit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

eddiebo

eddiebo

Two weeks ago they looked like this, and these are not fire damaged trees. ???

eddiebo

Magicman

What you are looking at is "ring shake".  Those logs are too far gone to saw into usable lumber.  Your pictures of the logs on the trailer shows some serious deterioration.  After those logs were bucked, what little moisture was there evaporated leaving the deteriorated wood.   You can not get good lumber from bad logs.

Example of ring shake.  The lumber from this log was unusable.

There is no need to saw logs where the wood has shrunk away from the growth rings.  This shrinkage is visible in your picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Eddiebo, I think even if you had sawed those right away you would have found they weren't as solid as you thought. I've saw pine do that before when it gets a little punky and and is then dried quick. I don't think SYP is particularly prone to ring shake, but maybe those were through a bad windstorm that caused it too? All you can do is open a few up and see what you find.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

eddiebo

Thanks guys. I was bracing myself for the worse, so it doesn,t shock me to hear what i was already thinking. Well that will keep me from more backbreaking work without a cause. Thank you all for your helpful input. God Bless !!!!!

barbender

You too , Eddie! I hope you have some solid ones to work with, I know I've wasted a lot of time trying to turn sow's ears into silk purses.

Decked

We call that wind shake around here...we just pushed those logs over the bank.

Okrafarmer

Always good for pulp. Or campfire wood. I am guessing these trees may have been wind-damaged before this happened. You said central Texas, so I guess you are inland quite a ways and these trees were not in the path of one of the hurricanes of the last decade or so? Ike, Rita, etc? If they were, the shake could be old wind damage. Or, as others have said, they just deteriorated too much before you got to them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Rocky_Ranger

I'm not much on "shake" for SYP, I've sawed these types of logs before and the problem, as already mentioned, is advanced deterioration (or, as I call it - "punky").  Texas = moisture, humidity if nothing else, and you are seeing natural early rot,  Short shake can be seen here, but my bet is only because these things are too far gone...... 
RETIRED!

Magicman

About a year past gone.  When the logs are bucked, if the growth rings are sunk in, the wise thing to do is to walk away.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Sorry eddiebo, I know this is dissapointing. It always seems when something is free there is a pretty good reason why, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

just_sawing

Technically you have a High Carbohydrate wood. Bacteria has ate around the rings leaving the separation.
This is why in the south using Yellow pine where moisture is can cause a problem.
When Pine is Dry Kiln it is taken up to 140 degree which kills the bacteria and changes the pitch from pitch to and epoxy.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

1woodguy

Sorry to see what happened to the logs
Glad you didn't get a lot more cut and hauled before seeing the problem
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

thecfarm

Sorry to see that. That is too bad. Well,you have alot of firewood now.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

it happens here in okla, too. not good for structural work but can be ok for wall paneling.

Thank You Sponsors!