iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Take a nut leave a nut !!!

Started by isawlogs, September 26, 2008, 02:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Well its time to pick the seeds here .
    I have a few buckets of Horse Chestnut if anybody is interested in any of them . I would gladly swap for just about any type of tree seed . These are from the northern part of there growing region.
I would really like to get some hickory and walnut .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Lanier Lurker is the hickory man.  He brought me some northern red oak, shumard oak, and some mockernut hickory last weekend. 

Need any shumard?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I have both and would be glad to ship you some of each.

What, if any, problem shipping to you in Canada?

They are shagbark hickory and black walnut....Wisconsin natives.

Well I sure would appreciate all of em , I aint got none of the above .. or below  ;D :D
As for the shipping into Canada , I am guessing that the worst that could happen is they dont let um across ... But I really cant see why they would not be let in ....
  Thes Horse chestnuts make great shade trees , are great amunition makers for the kids too  :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I dont know how that happenned beenthere .. but I answered in your post  :-\

Alls I wanted to do was quote ya !!!!!   :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Ya, that was real interesting...maybe the Boss will know.

PM me your address, and I'll put a couple boxes together and send 'em up (over).

Do you want the squirrels too, as they do the planting  ??? ??? ::) ::)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I only found a single burr oak on the twin trees I go to in September. The squirrels got ahead of me. But there it was all by it's lonesome up 12 feet off the ground. I took a stick and whacked at it like a Mexican kid beating at a stuffed animal toy (piñata) for the goodies inside, only no blind fold.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I know what happened there ....  ::)  I hit the modify button instead of the quote button  ::) :P

That would be greatly appreciated , going to send ya a PM .  :)
Ya want any Horse chestnuts ???

Marcel

Lanier_Lurker

I would be happy to send hickory nuts or acorns, but I doubt anything from this area of north Georgia would produce a tree that could survive up there.  It looks like you may be in Zone 3 or even in Zone 2.  I am in Zone 7 here in north Georgia.

The shagbark from Wisconsin might have a chance up there.

beenthere

isawlogs
I'll plan to get them sacked and boxed and on their way tomorrow.  8) 8)

And will be happy to try some Horse Chestnuts.

Thanks
south central Wisconsin

isawlogs

They will be on there way Monday or tuesday at the latest .

Merçi

Marcel

beenthere

Thanks

The black walnuts are at the post office, as of this morning.
I'm working on the hickory nuts....picked up a bunch, but all but 4 were left there by the squirrels, and would float in water.  The floaters are all bad. Hope to have some non-floaters picked up before Monday.

One way to plant the walnut seed is using a tin can with both ends removed. Place it in the ground with the nut buried inside..then the squirrels can't dig the nut out (or so I've been told  :) ). I never underestimate what a squirrel can do.. :)
south central Wisconsin

Robert Long

Hello Isawlogs ;)

I have some acorns and a few black walnuts in trade for a few horse chestnuts and I am in Canada so transporting is not an issue if you still want them.

Robert

isawlogs

Be happy to get some Robert , I have lots of room to plant them all . I will send you a PM with my adress . Send me a PM with your shipping adress and there will be some going your way beginning of the week .  8) 8) 8)

Marcel

Don P

Our bottlebrush buckeye put out a very few nuts this year if somebody wants them.
Aescules parviflora (sp?), its a small shrub with a neat vertical bloom spike that looks like a test tube brush. Send a pm with your adress if you want em  :).

Robert Long

Hay isawlogs

Did you get the parcel I sent ya!
I sent it snail mail a while back, hope you like what you see in it ;)

Robert

Dodgy Loner

I've got a lovely bunch of butternuts, diddly-dee ;D

I'm only going to plant 20 or 30 of these, and I've probably got well over 100.  Let me know if you want to plant some - they were collected from Hiawassee, GA this weekend, and will do best if planted in the southern Appalachians.  I'm interested to plant some at my dad's place in Athens to see how they do.  I'd like to trade for some American chestnuts, shagbark/shellbark hickories, nutmeg hickories, or possibly some Ohio buckeyes, but if you don't have anything to trade, I'll send some your way anyway :).

I've also got one or two mockernuts that I'll throw in there :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Obviously, you finally found some butternut trees.  :) They elude you no more. That's unless you tell me someone else found them.  :D

Find a nice home for them.  You did well with the find. ;)  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on October 19, 2008, 01:39:27 PM
I've got a lovely bunch of butternuts, diddly-dee ;D

I'm only going to plant 20 or 30 of these, and I've probably got well over 100.  Let me know if you want to plant some - they were collected from Hiawassee, GA this weekend, and will do best if planted in the southern Appalachians.  I'm interested to plant some at my dad's place in Athens to see how they do.  I'd like to trade for some American chestnuts, shagbark/shellbark hickories, nutmeg hickories, or possibly some Ohio buckeyes, but if you don't have anything to trade, I'll send some your way anyway :).

I've also got one or two mockernuts that I'll throw in there :D

I would like a few of the butternuts to try ..I am in extreme NE Miss...I know thats about out of their range.but  would like to try a few....I can send you the shagbarks you want..will send PM with address..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Lanier_Lurker

Wouldn't mind trying some butternut down here in the foothills in Forsyth County.

isawlogs

All my butternuts here are dead or dying .  :-\  I have some smaller ones , but it seams that as soon as they mature ... dead dey go ....

Hey SwampDonkey : would the shagbark hiuckory grow up here  ???   If so I would like to get some if any left .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Quote from: isawlogs on October 20, 2008, 11:38:49 AM

Hey SwampDonkey : would the shagbark hiuckory grow up here  ???   

My book says,(for whats thats worth) range would be extreme southern Quebec You are probably in the same boat as me with your buckeyes, so lets try....Let me know how many you want....Just a few horsechesnuts for me...will send a PM...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Marcel, only if you obtain the seed from neighboring states like Northern NY, Northern PA and northern Michigan and southeastern Ontario. Seed from the southern states and southern half of those bordering the lakes would not do to well. Goes for most hickories.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 19, 2008, 03:59:49 PM
Obviously, you finally found some butternut trees.  :) They elude you no more. That's unless you tell me someone else found them.  :D

Nope, I was at a campground with my family this weekend, and I walked past a walnut with some funny-looking bark.  Something didn't look quite right about it, so I looked on the ground, and sure enough, it was littered with butternuts.  I was pretty excited about it ;D

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on October 19, 2008, 10:18:04 PM
Wouldn't mind trying some butternut down here in the foothills in Forsyth County.

LL, I'll bring you some nuts when I see you this week!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: isawlogs on October 20, 2008, 11:38:49 AM
All my butternuts here are dead or dying .  :-\  I have some smaller ones , but it seams that as soon as they mature ... dead dey go ....

We don't have the butternut canker down here yet.  They are rare enough that I'm hopeful the disease will never get established.

SwampDonkey

Some butternut trees have been found to be resistant as well. They have never had canker on any around these parts, but I think further down river they have had some disease. Also a dead butternut is not necessarily from canker. They are not long lived to begin with.

Dodgy Loner

Well, I hope mine live long enough to make sawlogs ;D ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

The biggest curse with butternut is limb breakage. They grow long laterals in more open conditions. Heavy wind alone can weaken the limbs over time and all the sudden you have 1/4 of the trunk missing.  ::)

Lanier_Lurker

That sounds great.  I look forward to getting some butternut.

I won't have to worry about them being open grown here at my place.  They will have to fight their way up into a canopy of 100ft yellow poplars, white oaks, and northern red oaks.  I hope it is not too shaded for them.

WDH

If I remember right, butternut is shade intolerant.  So, the tree will need a little hole in the canopy to shoot for.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 20, 2008, 03:11:00 PM
Marcel, only if you obtain the seed from neighboring states like Northern NY, Northern PA and northern Michigan and southeastern Ontario. Seed from the southern states and southern half of those bordering the lakes would not do to well. Goes for most hickories.

Swampdonkey, what about the flip side, will Marcel's horsechesnuts be able to survive in ne Miss.?  Tim

SwampDonkey

Your butternut will have a struggle if the canopy is closed in tight. It is more tolerant than aspen though. I've seen them growing here on the ridge with sugar maple, ash, yellow birch, basswood. They grow real nice logs mixed in hardwood, out in the pasture you get wide spreading limbs. In my thinnings I find them growing in with maple and ash. They do real well in aspen stands to, but a bit limbyer. That big terminal bud can pack a lot of growth for next year. ;D

SwampDonkey

Banjo picker:

Hard to say, I would be hopeful. It's alot easier to move to warm areas than it is to move to frigid cold. But winter temperatures is not the only factor. Scorching summer heat and drought may be a factor to as well as length of day. Doesn't hurt to try. ;D

Lanier_Lurker

I have some spots out front where the canopy is not too tight.  I think I can find a place they will tolerate.

I will probably raise them in 30in deep TreePots for the first couple of years.

Hey Dodgy, you want any maple leaf viburnum seed?

Dodgy Loner

Sure, why not?  I've always had better luck with nuts than with smaller seeds - they just have more energy to get themselves established, so they're not as finicky about growing conditions - but I've got a perfect spot for some mapleleaf viburnums!  We'll see how it goes :)

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 21, 2008, 08:12:40 AM
Banjo picker:

. Scorching summer heat and drought may be a factor to as well as length of day. Doesn't hurt to try. ;D

I can't do anything about the heat, but I plan on planting a few in areas where  water wont be such a problem,  I live  about 1/3 of a mile from the highest point in the state (Woodal Mt...806 feet) I plan on planting some on my highest point and some down in the creek bottom, and a few in between....hopefully some will make it....Tim

isawlogs

Tim . I will have those out today .... I am packing them as I write.

So if they dont take for some reason , we can try again next fall .  :)    I find rewarding to plant trees and watch them grow . Planted quite a bit of pine at my dads and we are seeing them all over the farm . I would like to establish a nut grove here . There are very little nut trees here other then the dying butterbut , it would will be a form of food plot for the deer and turkeys and me  ;D , I know it will takes some time before the restaurant opens for um . I do hav some beech but they had no nuts this year ...  :-\ Those are good eating if ya can get at them before the bears , deer and turkeys ..

Marcel

Banjo picker

marcel & dodgy, I put the nuts in the mail just now...you will find a few pieces of flint in there with them, as i knew the post office would ask what was in there..flint.... 8) 8) 8), and so there is.... ;D  Marcel  you got the last ones of the shags as the critters have moved in .  I already had dodgy's boxed up and went back this morining...had to look hard to get some then about half were floaters....Hope you get enough...let us know if those hickorys make it up there....Tim

Dodgy Loner

Tim, your nuts are in the mail as well.  Maybe I can make an arrowhead out of the flint you're sending, and in a few years I'll make a hickory bow from the hickory nuts you're sending ;D ;D ;D

WDH

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on October 21, 2008, 02:57:51 PM
Maybe I can make an arrowhead out of the flint you're sending, and in a few years I'll make a hickory bow from the hickory nuts you're sending ;D ;D ;D

Dodgy, it is nice to see a long term perspective ;D.

SwampDonkey

I'm worried he might not fair too well.  ;D :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on October 21, 2008, 02:57:51 PM
Maybe I can make an arrowhead out of the flint you're sending, and in a few years I'll make a hickory bow from the hickory nuts you're sending ;D ;D ;D

It will have to be a bird point, they were pretty small pieces.,, but they did ask, about yours and Marcels....I didn't lie there's flint in there....wraped up in a piece of news paper....Tim

isawlogs

I got all the boxes out to mail yesterday .. I went monday , but the post office was closed from 12:30 to 1:30 ... I got there at 12:35  ::)    I checked my watch and got there during business hours the next day  :P :)
  She must of asked me (post master) a half a dozen time if all I was sending was nuts ... yep .. She sure did not look to impressed .  :-\  :D

Marcel

Robert Long

Bonjeni isawlogs :-*

I got your package today!   thanks for the nuts and I will plant them ASAP.

Do not apologize for your 'Anglais'  I wish I could communicate in French like you do in English ::)

Robert

Lanier_Lurker

Thanks for the butternuts, Dodgy!!

I went ahead and threw them in a bucket of water on Friday.  Of the 43, 38 sank to the bottom.  That is pretty encouraging.  I left them in there for a few hours.

I'll get them potted into something this week.

Dodgy Loner

Good to hear!  Maybe with our efforts butternut won't be such an uncommon tree around here 50 years from now ;)

I put the shumard acorns you gave me in the fridge for now.  The seedlings will be in the ground this week. 

WDH

We finally got enough rain to provide enough ground moisture to plant the northern red oak, shumard oak, and the hickories that you gave me.

We are doing a good thing for the distribution of species.  Maybe we need to send Swamp Donkey a Scarlet Oak ;D.

Banjo picker

Quote from: isawlogs on October 22, 2008, 10:57:48 PM
I got all the boxes out to mail yesterday ..

I got mine this morning...now I got to figure how to hedge my bets on getting the most to sprout.......Dogys butternuts were here when we go back ( been to horse camp at Natchiz Trace St Pk. in Tenn....)  picked up a couple lbs. of white oak acorns that were laying everywhere...hitting the camper and truck every time the wind would blow....of those on the ground about half already had started to sprout....planted all but a few this moning....took a iron worker line up bar poked a hole and hoped for the best, with them....going to start the chestnuts and the butternuts in my raised bed garden as I don't plant much else in it anyway....any info would be helpful from any that has been sucessful in the past with either...thanks for the nuts guys, Tim

SwampDonkey

Well butternut I know are easy as planting corn to grow. Some will take up to 2 years to sprout though. But, they sprout up on the lawn like weeds. Of course I have to mow around them.   :-X

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20363.0.html

::)

Robert Long

isawlogs

I got your parcel and the chestnuts are planted, now, how do you keep the squirrels from digging them up :D

Robert

SwampDonkey

and skunks

....and coons

???

:D :D :D

isawlogs

Robert :
   With a .22 .  ;D 

Glad to hear they made it , Beenthere and I got to wondering on how they deliver things bur it all turned out fine . I had a tracking number for his and checking on the parcel where abouts on sunday , the site had it delivered to Windsor ....  :o  Thats closer , but aint where I sent it .  >:(  I got on the horn on Monday AM and was about to raise a rukuss when the post master told me it was delivered to customs in Windsor ....  ::)  OK .... Beenthere sent me a note about the same time asking me about the parcel .....  :D
We got it all cleared a half hour after he sent me that note the parcel was delivered to him .  8)

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

Got my nuts today, banjo picker!  Thanks a bunch 8)

Robert Long

Isawlogs

That's funny, :D :D  Beenthere's nuts passed through Windsor (right by my house on their way to you!

Robert

SwampDonkey

They'll be jinxed or tainted now Marcel. :D :D

It's funny when I try to track a package here. The last sighting is usually near Montreal and then it's lost in the dark void of the Maritimes. They won't list it's location after that.  One time I got a location and a package was in Moncton. It has to go by here to get there, 3 hours away. :D :D

Banjo picker

Hey Swampdonkey, I went back and read the link to the butternuts....you are the butternut guru it seems....In so doing I think I might be well advised to plant them where I want them instead of planting and then transplanting....Ponder this...how about taking an aluminum can, cut both ends out plant the nut then push the can over it, leaving about an inch out of the ground...stick a flag in the ground by it..after its 5 years old come back and cut the can off...Tim

Banjo picker

SD another question, after they come up,(being opmististic) are the deer going to have the hots for them.  Tim

SwampDonkey

Deer don't seem to bother them, except like a moose to scrape their velvet when they get a few feet tall.  >:( However, protect from the rodents when they are little.

Mark the area you've sunk the nuts into and start protecting them as they emerge. I like the fine wire better (1 cm square stuff), and splay the base like an upside down peeled banana to keep critters from digging around it. You basically wrap the tree loose with the wire. Then splay the base of the wire cage. Just use wire snips and cut slits 6" and bend at 90 ° to make feet that sit on top of the ground. The can might restrict lateral root growth by sinking it in the mud. Don't think that would be a good idea. If I can relocate them on the woodlot, it's not too hard to find them in the yard. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!