iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I thought was a Soft Maple !

Started by isawlogs, February 27, 2013, 06:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I cut this tree down today, there was a Yellow birch beside it, I was sure it was a Soft Maple ( red maple) it was leaning a good deal , so before it falls and blocks my wood road, I cut her down.....  After it was down I was kind of puzzeled over what the end looked like, so, there are a few ugly logs that will be opened up come spring time to see how it will look.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

That will be interesting. Looks like there has been some compartmentalized damage in the sapwood and just inside that heartwood. Look out for metal. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Metal... !!!   That is 18 feet up the tree, the whole tree is like that, even the limbs only have an inch if that of white sap wood.

I don't think that metal has anything to do with this is this case. This tree was off the trail by ten feet, no bark damage, but it was leaning awfull from wind uprooting it some.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Ah, now that changes the perspective when you have more of the details. ;) ;D

That being said, there is clothes line pulley 20 feet up and almost consumed by one of the trees in the yard. And it's a 10" pulley. ;D

I wonder if there was some bird peck? Something is damage to the wood there, it's plain as the picture. ;) And if it's sap suckers, it's not just 3 holes in one spot, they come back for years.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Its like that from the stump to the top.

Last two logs in the pile, the third is somewhat hidden.  :) This tree is out in the forest Bill, no houses close by 3/4 of a kilemeter from the house here  :D No nails or fence there either ...

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I'll even saw it up for you, while you wait you can do the offbearrin'.   :)  I won,t have the mill going but after the snow is gone, that way  you won't be needing to invest in no snow storm clothing.  :)

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Think it could be eastern hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana???  ::) It does make it up to at least southern Quebec.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Slab Slicer

Looks like it's going to be some curly wood inside that log. Can't wait to see you open that up. :) :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

isawlogs

No this is not Ostrya virginiana There is one there not far from where I cut this tree down, I am sure it is a soft maple, just the inside was not commun.  Danny allready has put claim to it  ;D

Slab Slicer.... Ya got a good wait there ahead of ya, I  aint taking the mill out till the snow is gone ...  :D Out I will post pics of it opened up ;)

Marcel

WDH

thecfarm

DanG,a dollar short and a day late. I just came in from feeding my OWB. I think isawlogs is robin my wood pile.  :D Mine came from Swamp Logging.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think sapsuckers like red maple for love as much as they would hemlock. :)

woodandtractors

I've seen quite a few soft maple logs with that same appearance when we used to saw soft maple several days in a row for grade lumber.Lumber buyers wanted white wood,not brown,so it went into the 3b( Pallet grade)pile. Don't recall the boards being very attractive,but beauty's in the eye of the beholder they say.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

SwampDonkey

A lot of second growth red maple is full of heartwood and as Cfarm said about wet ground as well. It will be interesting to see how it saws out. But probably not real spectacular.

I did have some nice pole wood red maple until the moose got to it and scraped and scared it all up. ::)

isawlogs

If it don't saw up purty horizontaly, it will saw up fine verticaly  ;D ;)  Either way is fine with me, both will serve me well.  :) :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

We aren't pessimists, just realists. ;D ;)

isawlogs

:D :D I went back and reread what Ray wrote, I thought that he was talking about the tv show.   Sorry Ray  :-\   I see now what you where saying.
  This tree did grow in a kinda wet  area, like I said earlier, no matter to me how it turns out it will be used  :)

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Saw it anyway, even a board will burn if it don't behave. ;D

thecfarm

I've burned a few that needed a good spanking.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I bet that when Marcell thaws out and opens up that log, it will be beautiful inside.

thecfarm

Maybe that bog wood is good for something after all. I still have about 4 more acres to cut off.  ;D

SwampDonkey

There's hope for us pore folk up on the tundra yet. Might get to eat something other than muskrats for a change. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!