iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A woody shrub? or tree? Solved: ground hemlock

Started by SwampDonkey, June 05, 2004, 08:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Has red berries resembling pitted olives, stuffed with pamento.  Not quite the same taste. And probably not too good for your health. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Not really sure what they are called, but my parents have them for a hedge line, just off the eaves in front of the house.

SwampDonkey

Its not juniper. The berries are fleshy on the plant above. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This plant is harvested for an essential oil in cancer research.  :o

slowzuki

Sure looks like ground hemlock ;D

SwampDonkey

Yup, ground hemlock or Canada Yew Taxus canadensis

slowzuki

There have been ads in rural delivery lately by companies offering huge sums of money to people who will allow harvest of it on their land.  Someone wrote back giving some reasons this shouldn't be done on a large scale but I can't remember the reasons at the moment.  Anyone know?

SwampDonkey

The main reason is that some companies do not practice proper pruning techniques of this plant and over harvest it. Then whose to say once the sites are found that the harvestors don't go back and over harvest the shoots for another buyer. ;)

I know where there are several acreas in a continous plot, on a north facing slope, growing under hardwoods. Some of the stand is mature and other parts have been recently thinned (mainly yellow birch).

Most buyers are not paying huge sums of money, they are requiring huge amounts of tips for very modest pay. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!