iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"White Walnut" ??

Started by Tom the Sawyer, February 29, 2016, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

A client brought in a log I wasn't familiar with.  It was a crotch section of what he had been told was "white walnut".  I had heard butternut referred to as "white walnut", and that is what he found when he looked it up on the internet.  I don't know that I have ever milled butternut so I told him I would check with someone who might be familiar with what this wood is, butternut or otherwise.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Dave Shepard

That looks a lot like the butternut I've sawn, which is only two really big logs. There isn't much butternut around, I think a lot of it got some sort of bug or something and died.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

landscraper

I was walking a project with a landscape architect and we were id'ing trees as we walked, and he hit me with "white walnut" right as I said Butternut.  We both looked at each other like .... ?  Me for never having heard that before, and him because he thought that's what everyone called it.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Ljohnsaw

What do you call English Walnut?  I would think that is "white walnut".
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Looks a lot like bitternut hickory I've cut.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tule peak timber

I deal a lot in "white walnut" and the pics you show with bark on are quite different. According to sources white walnut- English walnut originally came out of Persia as an indigenous tree. Here in CA white walnut is grafted onto Claro walnut root stock to form the basis of the nut bearing industry in the Central Valley of CA. There are actually subtle different types of white walnut used in these grafts that, over the years, have gone in and out of popularity. These same trees are also the source of premium gun stock wood. Attached is a picture of a white walnut floor we did 2 years ago. Cheers, Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

low_48

Kinda looks like elm. Is that a little fleck in the one picture?

coxy

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 01, 2016, 02:03:58 PM
I deal a lot in "white walnut" and the pics you show with bark on are quite different. According to sources white walnut- English walnut originally came out of Persia as an indigenous tree. Here in CA white walnut is grafted onto Claro walnut root stock to form the basis of the nut bearing industry in the Central Valley of CA. There are actually subtle different types of white walnut used in these grafts that, over the years, have gone in and out of popularity. These same trees are also the source of premium gun stock wood. Attached is a picture of a white walnut floor we did 2 years ago. Cheers, Rob

WOW that is a nice floor when do you want to do mine  :) :) :) :)

mesquite buckeye

Yes, maybe a red elm. A closeup of a shaved endgrain would be helpful. Where is that WDH guy anyway? ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

wdmn

Juglans cinerea is known as both butternut and white walnut and is native to eastern North America. The population has been decimated by butternut canker.

WDH

Here I am.  Does not look all that walnuty to me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CJennings

The color resembles the butternut I cut this winter, but the grain doesn't quite look the same. Butternut tends to have a double peak cathedral grain. I'm trying to make a double peak of that but I can't convince myself of it. I didn't have that much character or figure to what I cut either. Just worm holes and canker damage in mine. What little bark is in that picture doesn't look right either but I also can't see it too well. One possible clue is butternut is a fairly soft wood, and very easy to work, or damage. If it's not fairly soft I'd look in a different direction.

bkaimwood

Looks ALOT like some old locust logs I milled in the fall...but not quite
bk

scully

The butter nut I have milled looks coco brown  with some greenish hews in it . I can say red locust is really red ! That looks to be nut wood but thats all I can really say .
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!