iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sour mustard pickles............

Started by Woodhauler, June 30, 2014, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Just cracked my first jar that i put up this summer! Cold bud lite and a sour pickle!!! 8)
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

pappy19

Yum!! A slice or two of hard salami also goes well with that, and maybe a saltine cracker!!!

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

sawguy21

My mom and grand mother made them, they were some good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodhauler

I can post the vrecipe if you want.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Weekend_Sawyer

Please do. It's always enjoyable to read members recipes.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

21incher

Sounds yummy. The cukes have just started coming in and I would like that recipe to try also.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Woodhauler

3 qts apple cider vinegar, 1 qt water,1 heaping cup dry powedered  mustard, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup cannig or pickling salt. Mix all together and pour over cukes in jars. This is done as a cold pack. No prossesing needed. Ready in 2-3 days!

brooksmill

woodhauler: sounds like a good recipe. my question is do you leave pickles whole, slice long ways or cross ways.    thanks

Texas Ranger

Need some rat trap cheese with that salami and crackers.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodhauler

Quote from: brooksmill on July 02, 2014, 10:25:18 AM
woodhauler: sounds like a good recipe. my question is do you leave pickles whole, slice long ways or cross ways.    thanks
Use small cukes and leave whole. You can quarter them lenght wise if you have bigger ones. Put a little alum inn them to make them stay crisp.

brooksmill

One more question. Do you heat the mixture and let it cool and are you sure its qts of vinegar and water or cups         thanks   gonna try it

Den Socling

Woodhauler

Quote from: brooksmill on July 04, 2014, 12:38:53 PM
One more question. Do you heat the mixture and let it cool and are you sure its qts of vinegar and water or cups         thanks   gonna try it
Yes its qts, but you can cut it in half,if cut in half it will make enough brine for four quart jars of pickles. Do not heat mixture or the cukes. Everything is cold packed. jUST Fill jars with cukes and pour mixture over. Put  covers on and let set for 3-4 days. I turn my jars over every day to mix the brine up .

brooksmill

tried the pickles and they were great.  only thing I did different was added a little extra sugar             thanks

Woodhauler

Quote from: brooksmill on July 08, 2014, 12:06:34 PM
tried the pickles and they were great.  only thing I did different was added a little extra sugar             thanks
The old timers made a crock of them! This recipe was my great grandmothers, then my moms and now i use it!

Thank You Sponsors!