iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post Oak

Started by Den Socling, January 24, 2017, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazzhrdwd

^
Well that's the coolest thing I've seen all day! :)
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Cazzhrdwd

Its why White Oak last longer as s fence board. Then what do we do with all this Red Oak? :)
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Den Socling

Furniture, paneling, cabinets, etc. Patti is having an Amish shop make a kitchen full of Red Oak cabinets.

WDH

Don't you just love tyloses  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

Yes, I do. They are making money for me.  :D

Den Socling

Just for the heck of it, I stuck two 3.5" thick blocks of oak in with walnut slabs. I ran a very mild and wet schedule. In the picture, the one on the left is supposed to be Post Oak. The one on the right is supposed to be Blackjack. As you can see, the results were about as ugly as can be. Does all Blackjack look like that. Normally, if I see Red Oak that is stained like that, it was diseased. Gypsy Moths can do something like that too but not through 3-1/2" of wood! BTW the walnut looked fine.

WDH

Yes, blackjack has a lot of stain, mineral streaks, and color, and is prone to bacterial infection.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

The guy who sent the Post Oak wanted to know why I can dry the White Oak up here but not the Post Oak from OK. I cut a wafer and stuck it under my microscope. First look at our local White Oak.

The vessels are occluded but they are there. Now look at this Post Oak.

It's solid!

WDH

Tyloses on steroids. 

Den Socling

The same customer asked if he can dry 4" Osage Orange.  ::) I've got some micrographs from the the last time I dried the stuff. It looks about like the Post Oak only it's orange.  :D We decided to dry it at 2" and laminate mantles.

Thank You Sponsors!