iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rockin and Rollin

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 28, 2005, 10:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Just experienced a ground shaker here in San Jose.  :o :o :o

A large Plane flew over followed by the usual after sound. Then, the whole apartment started rocking.

First, the Computer Center started to rattle, then the hanging decorations up the staircase started to rock and roll. Then, The WHOLE apartment started to move, including the concrete floor. The swivel chair I sit on was scooting around on the tile floor.  ::) ::) ???

Lasted about 10 seconds. What a feeling. Kinda neat actually, once ya figger out what's happening. Still feeling small sensations in the chair. Flying by the seat of yer pants comes to mind.  ;) ;) :) :) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Harold, I don't know where the epicenter is - it isn't reported yet, but it is big. It was felt in Gracia and also HERE. Felt like someone reached out and grabed my chair and moved me about 6 inches. I almost spilled my coffee...

This is the strongest one I have felt since we have been here. The Ticos around us are commenting about it too.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

YEP, kinda like ridin Toro, EH ???

Speakin of Coffee, think I'll get me a cup.   Whooo Hooooo,  Ride 'em, Cowboy  :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Are you saying you are still feeling aftershocks down that way?

crtreedude

Makes you glad for light roofs and rebar and two directions, don't it?  :o

Fla._Deadheader

There, that's better. Fresh cup of good coffee.

While I was writing the initial post, I could feel a little movement, not much, but, definitely there.

Ya know that statement, ''Buy Land, they ain't making any more '' ??  NOT TRUE  ;) :) :D :D :D

Except for the second floor over yer head, Concrete is OK. Love the sound of rain on the roof. Puts ya right to sleep.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

So far it is being reported all the way down to Quepos from here - I haven't heard from Nuevo Arenal yet...

crtreedude

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usheal.htm

In your neck of the jungle right now - pretty close. Time for you to come up here!

Fla._Deadheader

Viernes, SeƱor.  Viernes  ;) ;)

Ahhhhhh, 15 Miles from San Jose  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D

5.1 Magnitude     :) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

Hey Deadheader,

I didn't feel a thing here........... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

But I am still shovelin' snow...... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

This thing wooda shook the snow right off yer place.  ;) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Now they are saying it was only 15 miles from you Harold, it is sneaking closer all the time.   ::) It was between San Jose and the Pacific ocean.

The reason it felt so strong is that it was shallow - sharp movement instead of a deep one.

crtreedude

Burlkraft,

Earthquakes are done really quick - and usually don't require much work. Snow is forever...  ;)

Burlkraft

I know......I know.......I wuz just tryin' to make myself feel a little better  ;) ;) ;) ;)

crtreedude

I just thought you were trying to get even for all the weather forcast I give...  ;)

Burlkraft

I actually enjoy your weather forcasts.......They give me hope :D :D :D :D

Kevin_H.

Ya guys dont see any big waves comming your way do ya? :o
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

crtreedude

I am at an elevation of 2,000 feet - and Harold is even higher. We are talking a REALLY big wave or we don't see anything.  ;)

Kevin_H.

ok good deal, I was watching the discover channel last nite and it had me thinking.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

farmerdoug

Maybe it was Mother Nature warning Harold to stay out of her forest and away from her trees. :o

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

We had a 5.7 mag on Jan 9 , 1982, followed by a 5.1 aftershock several hours later. According to seismologists we had 4 aftershocks per hour for several days. It was pretty strong, shook the house good. It was funny, at the time my brother kicked at the railing on the front step as the quake hit and he thought he was knocking the house down. :D :D I've been to the epicentre of the quake many times, there is a large number of lakes there. One of them, Holmes Lake (Pratt and Witney have camps there) was the epicentre. It drains into the Little Southwest Miramichi River, 130 miles from home as the crow flies. We had another one way back in 1929 that caused the house to settle 2 inches. It's on a stone wall foundation.

http://www.seismo.nrcan.gc.ca/historic_eq/miramichi_e.php

That area gets 2 to 3 times as much snow as we get and they had to plough 15 miles of forest roads to get to the site with seismographs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

solodan

I haven't felt one in a long time, and don't really care if I do. We don't feel them up here too much in the Sierra. The last good one I felt was the 1989  7.1 Loma Prieta. I was in Candelstick Park in S.F. for the Battle of the Bay World Series.

swampy

Hope one of them don't start shakin while you are sawing, could make for some wild lookin boards ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Ed
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

sawguy21

It's a left coast thing. All you have to worry about is them pesky hurricanes ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmerdoug

They say the most dangerous fault is in the middle of the US from the Gulf to the Great Lakes.  It does not move much, but it has produced some major quakes in the past.  If it happens again the cities down the Mississippi corridor will be hurting badly.  The clay soil will move like water. smiley_horserider

A major quake made the Great Lakes what they are today.  Before it closed off the old drainage basin right across Ontario, the lakes were alot lower.  If I remember right they use to drain through the Georgian Bay.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!