iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop Talk !!!

Started by Stephen Alford, March 01, 2018, 06:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Well Matt ; this threads on you buddy.. ;D  You asked to see some shop pics so thought a new thread would be best.  Hopefully others will add insight and pics of their shops cause there are some dozies out there.  

We started with a shale pad.

Drug in the cans.

Put on some rafters

Welded in some ol I beams.

Framed in the ends.

Added some siding for the neighbors.

Doors added 14ft high.

Over head crane front to back side to side.

Thats a press we built on the left .  Stairs up to the cat walk, removable railing.
logon

thecfarm

I remember that!! Seem like a while ago? I forgot it was you that did that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Trying something a little new Mr. Cfarm. Will add pics using the modifier. Have trouble sometimes where I try to post and goof up and lose the pics. So i guess if its ok thought I would start at the beginning .
logon

Texas Ranger

Neat!  The second story would kill me.  Lots of secure storage.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks Stephen!

As I told ya, hard to not like a good shop!  Might need to insert a couple picks of my shop here at my "real" job???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

The original reason i bought my big nasco forklift was to stack a container shop.   I did manage to haul the steel beams from Mass to TN without getting arrested.  Bonus!

Still working on the shale pad part. Then figure out how to afford the cans. momlife problems

Praise The Lord

Autocar

I have seen that done a few times man a live that would make a great shop and storage area, good job !
Bill

Resonator

There is a construction guy in New York state (Andrew Camarata, youtube), that built a shop the same way high up on a hillside. Built it to look like a castle, complete with a watch tower, (container stood on end, with a spiral staircase inside). Cool videos with drone footage that shows how he built it step by step.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crusarius

That was my plan for my shop but I was going to do 1 layer of container with a wood stud wall another 8' tall on top of that. that would give me open storage on top of the containers and the ceiling height I wanted. When I started shopping for containers the prices delivered ended up being to high. 

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

woodmaker

I have often wondered how well that would work. Yours looks great !
How long are your trusses,and what is the usable space inside?               
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

teakwood

Wow. nice job, that's a neat shop!

Here is my effort, it was a lot of work over 3years and with only one helper.
I'm a certified bricklayer and concrete worker

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

teakwood

teakwood

i have one of the few cellar in Costa Rica

Resonator

Nice eyeball engineering using the skidder blade as a crane, and I suppose you don't have to worry about snow load and frost where you build!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

teakwood

The excavator was on a job so i had to improvise!

The concrete formwork i made myself out of 5 year old teak logs from the precommercial thinning.

80mm x 80mm (3.25" x 3.25")

lopet

Stephen, did you end up pouring a concrete slab inside ? Is it floating and how is it holding up ?
The reason why I am asking is because around here frost does a lot damage.

About seven years ago I built mine. Had a contractor to put up the shell for a conventional building and the year after me and my younger boy did all the interior and another two years later I put in a washroom and office and a car hoist.  It wasn't cheap but I sure don't wanna miss it.  
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

lopet

Teakwood, I like the forms you made. smiley_thumbsup But what's up with all those re bars in a tropic climate ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

Quote from: lopet on March 01, 2018, 07:16:24 PM
Stephen, did you end up pouring a concrete slab inside ? Is it floating and how is it holding up ?
The reason why I am asking is because around here frost does a lot damage.

About seven years ago I built mine. Had a contractor to put up the shell for a conventional building and the year after me and my younger boy did all the interior and another two years later I put in a washroom and office and a car hoist. It wasn't cheap put I sure don't wanna miss it.

that's exactly my saying  also

teakwood

Quote from: lopet on March 01, 2018, 07:19:43 PM
Teakwood, I like the forms you made. smiley_thumbsup But what's up with all those re bars in a tropic climate ?
Ok, First: concrete expands and shrinks also with temperature ranges, the longer the building the more distance it is, that's why bridges have expansion joints.
The rebars hold the concrete together and minimize/stop fissuring.

Second: We have lots of earthquakes!

Third: that is a retaining wall, inside it's filled with dirt to 2.3m (7.5'), so without the rebar it would fold over  

Ianab

Quote from: teakwood on March 01, 2018, 08:51:40 PMSecond: We have lots of earthquakes!

No such thing as "too much rebar" in a Mag 7+ earthquake. ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

teakwood

We had a 7.6 back in 2012, luckily it was 150km away from my house.  

Hard to say but i felt like the ground moved sideways at least a foot for about 20 seconds 

Stephen Alford

Hey Woodmaker, the trusses are about 46'. The main floor is 30' wide by 40' long. Ceiling is 16'.  You can never have a shop that is to big but heating is a major consideration.  Need a sign on the front door  "workshop not storage barn"   ;D.

Ahhh Mr lopet ,yes just used the cans as forms. Some insulation then in floor pipping then concrete. Running some conduite from side to side is a good idea. Great when you want to run electrical ,air lines , whatever from side to side later on. Laid railway tracks on the ground then set the cans on those.  Cans well you need cheap and you need good shape. If they have been exposed to to much salt water waste of time.  It seems that in some cases the cans are now sold with whatever is inside them. Twenties are common.  The demand has put the price up for sure. The layout was to allow expansion by simply adding cans in front and the building would just be longer. Not to sound like some kind of rogue but could not get permits.  Made all the applications etc. One day after the shop was up a car pulled up. Guy comes over with a clipboard,  says goodmorning  we chat, the asks so were are you putting this building ...handy to this red one... I respond with "yes".. .. not wanting to commit which is a trait common to the weasel family   odd  . He smiles  says "great spot" signs permits and says have a good day.  Must have smiled till lunch.  :D

logon

mike_belben

Container shop was exactly my plan for exactly those reasons.  Set it down, weld it solid, expansion joints, pour floor right in center.  Stack more as i grow.  

How bad is it to heat?  

48HC cans are 6" wider than 40s.  I had dreamed of 48s on bottom and 40s on top to leave a 6" ledge to the insides where a beam would nest and get welded in for a mezzanine.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!