iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shockwave from falling tree

Started by gjersy, August 07, 2015, 07:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjersy

The landowner where i'm cutting wanted me to drop a huge Black Oak that he was worried about falling on his garage. It had a very big diameter, tall with a huge crown. When it hit the ground my boy who was coming out with a load on said he felt it in the skidder. And the next morning while having coffee with the landowner, his wife said it scared her as the tree's shockwave, violently shook her whole house, which is 100 yards from the Oak! Anyway, this was on dry sand ground, not wet saturated ground. I'm always the one dropping the tree and didn't realize the shockwave a big falling tree generates, impressive.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Ianab

Several tons of wood hitting the ground at speed, you notice it.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR91YyPKPK0

This is from a few years back. Big old Monterey cypress. It's hard to judge scale, but the stump was ~50" across. Forward leaner, so it had been bore cut, and the last cut was the holding strap. You can hear the crack when that lets go and the tree suddenly starts to move. Standing 10ft from the stump, I felt that one land.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CCC4

I was laying out a whopper Tulip Poplar today sidehilled to keep it out of a deep banked creek, the Poplar top was wide and caught a tree on its way down, the compromised tree snapped prolly 20' up...the concussion was so loud and violent that I felt the shock waves hit my helmet. So Il Logger said it sounded like a sonic boom and he was nearly a 1/4 mile away. Very impressive to say the least!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: CCC4 on August 07, 2015, 04:38:09 PM
I was laying out a whopper Tulip Poplar today sidehilled to keep it out of a deep banked creek, the Poplar top was wide and caught a tree on its way down, the compromised tree snapped prolly 20' up...the concussion was so loud and violent that I felt the shock waves hit my helmet. So Il Logger said it sounded like a sonic boom and he was nearly a 1/4 mile away. Very impressive to say the least!
not much will stop them big poplar huh? lol, glad your in some nice ones brother.

mills

Big poplar, small canopy, nothing to hit on the way down = big boom!  8)

Fun cutting ain't it.

Thank You Sponsors!