iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Bandsaw Mill Questions...

Started by meyer.josh, March 02, 2017, 10:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meyer.josh

I am currently in the process of building a bandsaw mill in an agriculture class I am taking in high school. I have been a reader of the forestry forum for quite some time gathering ideas, tips, etc. to come up with a simple yet effective hobby bandsaw that will last for as long as I need it.  I have decided on a basic frame around 48" wide with 54" uprights and angle supports in the back that is made out of 2x2x3/16" square tubing. I am also making a 12' track made out of 4x4x1/4" angle iron that will be stationary. I will have a sliding double bar for the band saw wheels and motor to be attached to. I have decided on using pillow block bearings, shafts, and 18.75" pulley sheaves for my wheels and a 13.75" drive wheel.

My first question is, I was originally going to put the pillow block bearings on top of the bar but most of the other similar set ups I have seen have the bearings on the bottom in a hanging fashion. Is that a better way to do it? If so, why?

Secondly, money is a big factor in this build as I am on a high school budget lol. I was going to use a harbor freight gas 6.5 hp predator engine for my power. If I use this, what would be a reasonable maximum log size I would be able to cut, say for hardwoods like hickory and oak?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions during the build process but this is what I have for now. Thanks for the help!

Kbeitz

More log cutting room if on the bottom...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DMcCoy

I started with an old 8.6 Hp(?) Wisconsin motor and upgraded to a 13 Hp HF fairly quickly. I cut some 28" wide stuff with the original motor, it worked but was very slow.  The speed at which I cut is noticeably faster with the new motor.   If you design the area for the motor to accept a larger one then you could always change it later when you get more $$$.  My bearings are under-hung and it works fine.  Getting the assembly bolted into place took extra hands is all.  Like Kbeitz said it increases your cutting depth.  Good luck and welcome to FF.

Kbeitz

There will be a big difference in the size of the thickness of the slab
you cut off the log depending on the bearing placement.

I lowered my bearings even more to get the most use from my blade.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

meyer.josh

Okay I think I will go with it under.... I hadn't even thought of the cutting room. I'll start posting pictures on Monday when I get back to the shop. Thanks for the info!

Ga Mtn Man

The max height of the sawhead horizontal member relative to the mill bed is also one of the factors that determines your maximum log size.  Wood-Mizer uses a c-frame for the sawhead, sort of an exaggerated version of kbeitz's setup.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!