iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mortise and tenon width

Started by Believer, April 26, 2012, 10:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believer

I want to build a timber frame home.  The class I attended used a Makita chain mortiser so it was easy to do any width mortise.  If I get a German style, do I need multiple bars and chains?

Brian_Weekley

Have you considered just using an old fashion boring machine?  Less expensive, a lot quieter and more fun to operate!
e aho laula

bigshow

I never try anything, I just do it.

bigshow

but to contribute to the question.  Typically on 8"+ wide timbers in pine you see 2" wide mortice/tenon.

and on 6" and below in pine you typically see 1 1/2" wide tenon/mortice.

But it depends on wood species, with oak you can get by with more 1 1/2" joinery in more circumstances than you can with pine.

On the porch I just built, its a mix of 6x and 8x.  In order to keep it simple, I just did 2" tenon/mortice on everything.  Plenty of wood was left over in all situations in all timbers, I feel fine doing 2" across the board in this particular structure, its less to think about.

And of course, it depends on the joinery decisions in a particular area.  There are many factors that will ultimately determine mortice/tenon thickness.  I think if getting a cross grain mortice rig I'd budget for 2" and 1 1/2" bars.  I personally wouldnt buy a morticer thinking: "I can knock out each 2" in minutes, and spend a 1/2 hour+ on each 1 1/2".  I'd go all in with whatever bars you need.

As a DIY'er, in hindsight, I would say i do not consider my time free.  I would've actually saved much more money by going all in with every single tool that would've made cutting the frame faster.  If you do not need a bank to finance your project, then maybe your time is actually free and you can piddle around forever and a day by skimping.

I never try anything, I just do it.

logman

I've used both and like the Makita.  I know with a Mafell you would need two different bars and chain.  The Mafell also tends to spit the chips at your face.
You can buy two Makitas for the price of one Mafell, at least you could haven't checked the price of either lately.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

AMB30518

I'm not familiar with the German style mortiser but bought the Makita new and like it a lot. With care, adjustments and oil I think it will last the rest of my days. Not likely I could justify paying more $$ because I am a DIY guy.
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

laffs

I bought the makita, was less than half the price of mafell. works fine, it takes about 6 moves to make a 2" mortise. flies through the wood makes mortising ridiculously fast. I think on a modest house you could do all your mortises in a day or less
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

laffs

timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!