iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One more month....

Started by mrcaptainbob, August 13, 2011, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Just added another month's worth of hard winter heat to the wood pile. There's now six months worth sittin' there with two sizeable piles yet to split. That will add another two months. First time I've had this much wood this far ahead! A good feeling, since last year was dicey. Seems I managed to always catch a tree that needed felling just before a heavy snow storm. I hate being in that position. This will be a good winter. And with the wood source that opened up for us, it appears that the neighbor and I may be piling enough for next year, too!

beenthere

Your real good shape if that "one more month" is for the year 2013. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mrcaptainbob

I wish. This is just for '11/'12. Each 'row' is good for a weeks worth of hard-winter heat and the added four rows was nice to see. It's the first time I've ever been this far ahead of the heating season. With what's recently come available to us, we just might get well into 2013. Would sure like that.

SwampDonkey

Bob, you could hurry the drying of the bulk of your wood if it's stored near the heating appliance. It will surprise you how quick it will pull moisture and your wood will last longer in the appliance.

I only burn 1.5 cords in the shop all winter and it never freezes in there. I burn 7.5 cords in the house and that's keeping it around 80 degrees on average.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

We burned alot last year in our fireplace. I sold out of my "selling" wood in the third week of January. Turned away 12 orders at $150 apiece, so lost some money there. >:( I've got nearly twice as much stacked up to date, so hopefully business will be good.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mrcaptainbob

I keep it real close to the OWB, SwampDonkey. Just in case any mechanical help (tractor/fel or truck or...) becomes non-operational. Walking distance is good. But that OWB is so well insulated that it can't even warm the snow on it's roof much less any wood stacked against it.

SwampDonkey

Gary_C's OWB burned down his woodshed sitting beside it last winter. Now that in itself ain't funny, but thought provoking.  ;D

I was thinking you had indoor heating. Now that thought might be funny along with provocative. har-har ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I think it's a misconception that firewood will dry in the round or in the log .Perhaps not so on this forum but I've seen row after row of unsplit wood locally .

I imagine there will be surprises when they do get around to breaking it down .
Maple will be spalted,hickory will be growing mushrooms and oak will still have water in it .

SwampDonkey

Yeah, maple will get a white mold on the end of the stick and get some purple or black specs, but I've never seen it spoil that quick. The mold is a stick here and there. Just the odd stick that was kind of bad to start with, with rot in the centre that will go bad.

tyb525

We keep a day's worth of firewood in a stack next to the stove, to eliminate constant trips outside to the wood shed. It does help dry it out, it also helps melt off any snow ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

zopi

I am going to be a little dicey this year...not nearly far enough ahead....
Neat solution I found to dying...I bought a cart used for peanut drying....perforated floor allows air to flow constantly, and no ground moisture..just park it in the sun...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!