iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gardening my Tomatoes. My Timeline.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 23, 2013, 12:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Because we had a long winter, I didn't get my Maters planted until late.

These were grown in a green house and trans planted in late April, if I remember right.

I gave them 2 weeks to get their root system going and did nothing but water them once a week.

After 2 weeks I started my Miracle Grow feedings every 7 days.
Now they're starting to take off.

Now they are a little over 6 foot tall. I keep plucking the suckers out and tying them up. Yesterday I drove in 8 foot stakes beside the 5 foot stacks to be able to keep tying them. I use forestry flagging tape to tie them up. I also put a heavy bed of Pine straw around them to help keep the ground from drying out to fast. The temps are starting to get into the mid 90's.

Feed, feed, feed......!

These plants are loaded with big green Maters right now and hopefully by July the 4th, I'll be picking.

The End.  materhead
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Impressive! Come end of season, you may have an alternative use for your new hatchet! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on June 23, 2013, 12:51:43 PM
Impressive! Come end of season, you may have an alternative use for your new hatchet! :)

I am willing to bet.....I will be able to thin slice a Mater with my new Hatchet.  ;)

Jeff

Oh, I know it is olenty sharp enough to do that, but I was thinking them stalks will be like trees!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on June 23, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Oh, I know it is olenty sharp enough to do that, but I was thinking them stalks will be like trees!

Chainsaw!  :D NOT MY NEW HATCHET!  :D :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

NICE!  I started all kinds of plants early this spring in my basement and by the time the last snowstorm blew through in May  :-\ I transplanted and they were already half dead, just too long indoors I think.  So after starting over my maters are roughly 1/3 the size of yours but they do seem to be doing well and putting on a lot of tomatoes.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Mine have not done as well, although they have been bearing ripe tomatoes for about 3 weeks.  However, I do not have a sharp new hatchet to threaten them with  :).

David,

Those look marvelous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

They are looking good. I'm still planting here. Been a real busy spring. beet greens are going good here. I planted more and I still run out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We are gathering waaaay more than we can eat.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 23, 2013, 09:37:20 PM

You can make Mater juice. Its good with a little salt in it and a "glug" of Worchestershire.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here they come......come to Daddy!  :D

John Vander

Started a small planting of tomatoes but not sure if I'm doing it right. We have a lot of rain here, so I'm wondering...
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

drobertson

John, I am thinking if possible curb as much as possible, too much will cause splits when ripening,  I have struggled with maters for a long time, it seems they don't need a whole lot of water,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 01, 2013, 08:43:05 PM
Salsa Time. :)

I think there was a song called, "Living on Salsa Time".  ;D

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

sandhills

Nice looking whack of maters there David, we ate our first 2 cherry tomatoes the other night, man it's hard waiting for stuff to ripen up!

thecfarm

John,have no idea the climate or the soil in Japan. But here in Maine,if you can't grow tomatoes,you have problems.  ;D they grow and produce quite well. But saying all that the last few years some have had trouble with blight.
Those maters look good. Mine are still green and I do mean green.
Is that an old barn across the road?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Man am I jealous!
Mine look very anemic and are only about 2' tall.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ernie

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 23, 2013, 10:07:37 PM
Quote from: Magicman on June 23, 2013, 09:37:20 PM

You can make Mater juice. Its good with a little salt in it and a "glug" of Worchestershire.

Don't forget a dash of Tabasco
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

John Vander

Maybe I should erect a small shelter over the tomatoes, made of clear plastic sheet. Now with the rainy season we have about 3 inches of rain per day. Some places get it real bad, about 7 inches per day.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Al_Smith

You folks in the sunny south are way ahead of us .My tomatoes are only about a foot tall .It's mid August ,first September before they really kick in and ripen up .

Danged rabbits nibbled half the leaves off my cucumbers .Time for rabbit stew or more red tail hawks .

Thank You Sponsors!