iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowhill

Quote from: doc henderson on June 30, 2019, 09:28:15 PM
@crowhill , i bet if you get them to tighten down, they will not loosen up any time soon. :D
For sure since I jumped them up to a grade 8!😂
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

GAB

If you tack weld the nut to the bolt that should end the loosening issues.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

loctite, marring the thread a little, or "dimpled" lock nuts or nylox nuts, may also help.  i also like to double nut some bolts to lock them if they have room and a recurring problem.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Good to see you guys are keeping this thread alive.  My most recent very dumb thing did not actually happen to me, but one of my firefighters.  We were working on a bus that we will use for training.  He hit a pry bar with a sledge hammer.  I noticed a tiny red spot develop on his arm.  Within seconds blood was squirting out like a garden hose.  A sliver of metal had broken off the bar and went in his forearm.  I spent the next 7 hours at the ER with him.  They brought in a plastic surgeon to try and get the metal out.  Well, he couldn't find it, so my guy will live with a sliver of metal.  PSA announcement......wear PPE everywhere.  He was wearing safety glasses, but.....

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

was it a pry bar or a haligan? A haligan should have taken that hit, but a pry bar is too hard and brittle. I have seen then shatter many times. Sorry for your Brother. I sense a tailboard talk coming on. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

crowhill

I worked with a guy whose wife was taking care of fire wood as he was splitting the chunks with a maul and wedges that were very badly mushroomed on the top. A piece of that mushroom steel broke off as he hit the wedge and flew into leg just missing the femur artery, missed close enough she spent a couple days in the hospital, never did get that piece out.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

firefighter ontheside

We all knew better, as it was a pry bar.  He didn't even hit it that hard.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

I have a bunch of 3/4" foundation stakes in various lengths that I've picked up for free off CL.  I got about a dozen that were badly mushroomed (must have been driving them in concrete!).  I spent an hour grinding them clean.  Probably should have just cut the top end off!  Also had an old steel splitting wedge that too a lot of grinding to make it safe again.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

luap

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 01, 2019, 07:42:38 PM
Good to see you guys are keeping this thread alive.  My most recent very dumb thing did not actually happen to me, but one of my firefighters.  We were working on a bus that we will use for training.  He hit a pry bar with a sledge hammer.  I noticed a tiny red spot develop on his arm.  Within seconds blood was squirting out like a garden hose.  A sliver of metal had broken off the bar and went in his forearm.  I spent the next 7 hours at the ER with him.  They brought in a plastic surgeon to try and get the metal out.  Well, he couldn't find it, so my guy will live with a sliver of metal.  PSA announcement......wear PPE everywhere.  He was wearing safety glasses, but.....

Bad news if he ever has to have an MRI.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: luap on July 01, 2019, 09:22:17 PMBad news if he ever has to have an MRI.
Naw, that will just pull it out! :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

That's what we both said at the ER.  Just put him in mri and pull it out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

had a guy running a metal muncher press, and some of the die popped off and hit him in the lip.  sewed up his lip and he when he came back to have stitches out, he asked, "what is the lump in my cheek?"  did an x ray and there was the metal, it tracked through the soft tissue of his cheek, from his lip.  spent an hour taking that out, then more stitches.  he thought it was funny, but I learned to do the x ray in the first place.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

It's possible the bleeding actually flushed it back out of the wound?

If there was a chunk of metal left in there it would show as a definite spot on an X-ray. 

Other option is that it's already moved to some other part of the body, but if you still alive, that's probably not the case?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Old Greenhorn

I am pretty sure you can see the dot in the middle of the x-ray. There is a lot of sift tissue in there they will capture it eventually, assuming it doesn't go for a walk about first. Doc can say better, but I think if it develops an infection, it will be much easier to find and remove.
 I understand why everyone thinks if they know it's there, they should be able to find it, but if you have ever worked down inside live tissue, it can be a confusing places with lots of colors and camouflage and hiding spots. Add to that the fluids, blood, etc. and it is like trying to hand dig rocks out of a hole that is flooding faster than you can dig. It really isn't as easy as one might think it should be. That fleck in this one looks really small.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

looks like a white spec overlying the bone on the x ray.  soft tissue foreign bodies have consumed a fair amount of my life.  spent 4 hours on a sliver of wood to the butt, and 2 hours on a bb I could feel.  you have to be a little careful what you are cutting through to get it.  that is why we leave in bullets sometimes.

Old Greenhorn

Ha, you know I still have (whatever is left of) a BB in my butt from when I got shot at age 16. It has given me less trouble these last 15 years though, so I think it's pretty much gone. Being shot where I was, it was hard to find a friend to dig it out (that's when you find out who your real friends are), so I left it. If they guy that shot me wasn't a coward and shot me from behind, I could probably have gotten it out myself. But I have never actually seen it, so.... ;D :D

doc henderson

the body will wall it off and or in the process, form a tract to the surface and spit it out.  I will leave the "pain in the asthma"  jokes to you @Old Greenhorn 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on July 02, 2019, 10:20:49 AM
 I will leave the "pain in the asthma"  jokes to you @Old Greenhorn
Thanks, butt I am not going there. ;D
 That BB gave me a recurring boil on my butt for 20 years. Funny story from that: The guy that shot me faded off into memory and I had no contact with him. Years later when my wife and I married we were at our reception and I ran into the catering hall Chef, and guess who it was? So I thanked him for making up for shooting me with a fine dinner and let it go at that. Still wish I could have shot back. ;D ;D

doc henderson

had a kid come in at 2 am.  he was having a sleep over and had got shot in the arm accidentally while showing friends his bb gun.  his dad was still sleeping as there were strict rules regarding the bb guns.  so his mom snuck him in, but on x ray we found a second bb, so I a little gruff and interrogated him.  I was able to "break" the pre teen and he admitted they were playing bb gun wars.  He was far more concerned with what dad would have to say when he found out!

fudd-smiley          smiley_crying

Old Greenhorn

No BB gun wars in my past. I was shot by a sniper. I didn't find out who did it for about 2 years then somebody let it slip.
 AH, to be young and dumb, and full of........stupidity.

trapper

got a peice of sledge hammer in my hand for about 10 years.  went in the web between the thumb and first finger.  lodged about an inch and half in.  wife couldnt find it.  couple more peices came off that sledge and I sawed the handle off so it couldnt be used again.  Son got a bb in his stomach from his sister.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

I stepped on a piece of glass in a local creek as a kid and a piece about the size of the end of a cooked grain of rice broke off deep in there and healed over as Doc described. Was in the center of my foot so when I stepped on a raised surface like a root or stone or such there I'd get a twinge. After 5-6 years I got tired of it and went to the doctor who dug deeply and it bled profusely then healed back the same. He could not see it on X-ray so said he did not know if he had gotten it. I finally started putting iodine on it and that killed the tough skin around it till it came to the surface and I opened it with a needle and removed it. Heck. it might have been on its way out anyway and the iodine might not have helped but I heard iodine would kill warts and such and figured the callused skin was about like a wart. Bottom line is it got gone and I don't miss it one bit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Oliver05262

When I was a kid, Ma would put a dab of Ergophene ointment over a splinter or other object buried in my hand or elsewhere and put a band-aid over it and in a day or so the splinter would be on or near the surface and easy to remove. You can't buy the stuff today, but there is another "drawing salve" available.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Southside

Ahh the good old days of BB gun wars!!!  Good to see some kids still do it and it does not end up in an FBI raid complete with helicopters!!  We adhered to the the "only one pump" rule growing up.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!