iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Heal fast, my friend. When I cut myself I use super glue, works great. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hopm

Lotsa pain been listed on this post and it made me MUCH more cautious in my shop last night!! 

WDH

Also got me below the thumb, but it was just a cut.  :) :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Real lucky it didn't drag your whole hand in there.  :o

Every time I see or read about something like this makes me remember I should use push sticks but I rarely do. I suspect I'll pay for the education at some point too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Oh no, now even you have an extra right hand glove:  Rights  It's either a conspiracy or proves that the rights are slowly winning and the lefts are loosing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Firefighter,  It was only about 100 grit or so but it sure acted like it was sticky!

Danny,  Thanks for sharing how this happened.  As Alan stated it is good to learn from others experiences and learn from them on how to change our practices or at least know proper technics.  Does not mean we will put into practice what we learned! ::)   Thus we post here. :o 

doc henderson

Something fascinating about a spinning object.  We had a blue healer that would run up and bite turning wheels on a lawn mower, he just could not help himself.  His name was scout, from to kill a mocking bird
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

Wow, hope you heal up.  Those gloves will get you.  If you need a vacation, take a drive up to New Market and I'll feed you some steak and we can take a one handed cane pole down to the pond.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I hope you heal up soon and completely and that this does not mean you get a 10% discount on your next manicure. ???

I lost a fingernail on my right little finger this week. Came off from mashing it on the side of my FEL loading about a 3' maple log/section a month or so back. Turned black and finally I looked down and it had just peeled back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Yes when you get black under the nail, that is blood. and it will hydraulically separate the nail.  nail material is basically like hair, and feels no pain and can be melted.  so if there is a thick enough layer of blood, you can drill with a bit or needle, or heat something like a paper clip,  the key is to stop when the blood spurts so as to not damage the very sensitive tissue below.  this will relieve the pressure and maybe save the nail.  
Danny, I wonder if the local salon could glue you on a fake nail in the future.  choice of color is up to you ;) :D :D :D
My mentor Kenny Skeels had a lot of fun with his.  with a short stub he could really fake pickin his nose, and make you pull back a little if you were shaking his hand for the first time. (he would wiggle his pinky stub!)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Ditto what Doc said, but let me add a little caution. If the digit is throbbing with pain, when you release the pressure it can be 'energetic' and also cause your ears to ring and vision blur for a second as the nerves beneath adjust to the pressure change. Shortly after, you should feel a WHOLE lot better. I have done this a time or two. Usually there is little issue, but those big ones, oh boy!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Well @WDH  almost karma.  I have a little Bosch palm router.  I always have a 1/8 " round-over bit for softening the edges of almost everything I make.  I make oriole feeders to put the cups of grape jelly in, and I use a hole saw to make the two holes and use a router to make a grove for the top of the cup to seat in.  so left in the same bit, but adjusted the bit lower to also make a groove.  I use this setup so often, I can start and use it with one hand.  turned it on and assumed my usual grip, and felt a sudden intense burning feeling to my R little pinky.  It hurt bad enough that I had to look to investigate the damage.  sure enough 1/2 my finger was still attached and the other half was ... dut, dut, dah!!!  still attached also.  got lucky and thought of danny almost immediately.  It was red from contacting the collet since the opening had now moved to where I always rest my finger.  great respect for things turning at 20,000 rpms.  will add pic later.

doc henderson

putting finish on the wedding gift, the red mark is gone.  got off easy compared to @WDH 

the top is painted orange, and is a stove burner cover and the cups also are from the WM kitchen isles

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Close call on the router, glad it was your day to avoid an injury!  Very nice feeder with the engraving makes a great gift.  
Great job.

YellowHammer

Yep, must be living right.  

Karma will always let you know she's watching.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brian C.

Danny, Danny Danny. There are better ways to trim your nails.

Glad it wasn't any worse and enough beverages can numb the feeling of pain or make you not care.

armechanic

I did something dumb yesterday,  I didn't fire up the LT40 and saw any logs.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

crowhill

Monday's are Monday's! I grabbed a couple of my Dad's axes when he passed in 2004, one of which looks as if it drove a number of fence posts over the years. The eye looks like it's started to bulge the slightest amount and the handle was in pretty sad shape. Decided time to do something with it so thought I'd see if it would sharpen up and it did with some time n elbow grease. Nice n sharp! Been sitting for a few weeks, recently bought a new handle, grabbed the axe head, looking it over to see how best to get the old wood out of the eye and it slipped in n through my hand, bent over to pick it up and saw blood dripping. Never felt it but it sliced my left pinky in good shape! Put some super glue on my finger n wrapped some black electricians tape around it. Can't wait to get that old heavy head hung to see how it tackles limbing, fingers doing fine..
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Peter Drouin

Super glue is the best. Just be sure to clean the cut good first.
Sometimes I use a plastic scrubber with peroxide then glue.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

firefighter ontheside

Oh that hot feeling where you know something is not right, but how bad you're not sure.  I was using an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel to cut steel.  I was not using the guard or the little screw in handle.  It felt like my glove got really hot.  There was a clean cut thru the glove and a nice cut in my finger.  Put a bandaid on and went back to work.....and did it again.  I put the handle on after that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alan gage

When I got my first planer I, for some unknown reason, very lightly ran my finger down the length of one of the blades. But certainly not pressing hard enough to get cut. About halfway down the blade I started to wonder why the blade was burning my finger. It certainly couldn't be hot. Pulled my finger away and found a nice deep cut. Guess those blades are sharp.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

crowhill

So I needed 4 bolts to replace the 4 that are used to adjust the head position on my B-20. They keep coming loose and I believe the best way to keep them tight is to start with new bolts. So I drove 15 minutes to the local auto parts store, didn't have them. Drove another 10 minutes to the heavy equipment dealership, nope but would be happy to order them. No thank you. So on another 15 minutes to a Manufacture Supply store. YES! It's Friday afternoon, hot and I sure would like to get this project started. Get the 4 bolts, 8 flat washers, 8 lock washers and the 12 nuts needed, go to check out counter, pay and head home. Grandson is with me and since we skipped lunch to run this errand we stop for a bite to eat, another half hour out of my way. Finally get home, couple chores to do before working on the mill. Get the tools out and set up to work. Wouldn't you know coarse thread bolts n fine thread nuts. The excitement of finding the bolts over powered the common sense to double check. That was dumb, now a second trip to make it right😟
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

doc henderson

@crowhill , i bet if you get them to tighten down, they will not loosen up any time soon. :D

Thank You Sponsors!