iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bug off shirts

Started by trentausherman, April 12, 2007, 07:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentausherman

I was looking in the L.L. Bean mag today and I saw a shirt in there that are supposed to keep the bugs off of you.  I am just wondering if anyone has comments on these if they work or not.

P.S.  Dont want to spend the money and still get eaten.

Thanks

ohsoloco

I don't know about the shirts, but L.L Bean has a 100% satisfaction guarantee  :)

Burlkraft

I got one from Cabel's fer when we go ta da cabin in Canada....I'd rather forget my fishin' gear than that bug suit... ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Hey ...  you saying we gots bugs here .  >:(   We have snow .  ::) lots of it yet   >:( More came in today , if anybody has da number to whom it may concern about stopping da snow , would ya mind giving her a call and asking fur a six month releif from it .

Thanks .

Burlkraft
  Wheres about is da cabin ??
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Burlkraft

Let's see ifin' I can spell this right...Lac Du Millacs.... About an hour nort of Thunder Bay.... ;D ;D

isawlogs

Oh ....  dey gots bugs dere ... dont forget your jacket ...  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

What kind of chemicals are in the shirt, Is it a hazmat event  if you leave it in the woods?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Burlkraft

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on April 12, 2007, 10:49:39 PM
What kind of chemicals are in the shirt, Is it a hazmat event  if you leave it in the woods?

:D :D :D No...It's a very tight mesh jacket and I have pants too.....

They are see through but they really work good on skeeters.....I can't stand Off or Deet ar any of that stuff, these work great for me. The only problem is that you must put them on BEFORE you are in the bug zone. If you get skeeters inside they can't get out... :D :D :D

At night we sit on a screen porch at da cabin and about 9:00 the skeeters come out and since we have no power it's pretty quiet....The skeeter noise is unbelieveable. We alwyas talk about taking the first guy that has too many beers out to be sacrificed.....Ya also wanna make sure ya got all yer stuff otta da truck before dusk.... :D :D :D

bugmeist

This is the first topic I feel I can reply to as a "knowledgeable expert".  In 1989 my wife and I introduced the world to The Original Bug Shirt and have been selling them worldwide ever since.

Although I have an obvious bias I also have heard tons of experiences (I do 10-15 direct to consumer Show each year) with just about all the protective clothing on the market.

I don't have an LL Bean catalog so I'm not really sure exactly what brand they sell but I suspect it might be "Buzz Off" clothing made by Ex-Officio.  That type of clothing has a repellant (Pyrmethrin) somehow bonded to the fabric.  It eventually washes off (15 washings I'm told).  One of the complaints I've heard most often is that the shirt keeps the bloodthirsty critters off your arms, back, and belly but your head, ears, neck are still fair game as the is none of the fabric there.  You can buy a cap that has an extra drape of fabric that hangs over your neck and ears.  That would help.  The other thing I've heard is that Pyrmethrin is toxic (deadly) to fish.  So if you catch and release be careful the fish don't touch this type of clothing.

The other common type of protective clothing is made of different types of  mesh.  Some mesh is very fine to keep no-see-ums and larval ticks from gettin' at ya.  All mesh protective clothing has some problems.  Because its mainly holes anyplace it touches your skin is like an free bar to a mosquito (back of the neck and shoulders being the most common areas).  Also mesh is abrasive so wearing it while moving gets very uncomfortable.  To keep the mesh from chaffing the skin most people will  put on a long sleeved shirt which, of course will make them get hot.

By the way most protective clothing is manufactured in Asia. 

I will try not to get commercial (Jeff will start buggin me) but our design uses a very light weight but extremely high density fabric (Made in USA) along with mesh for ventilation to stop the blood thirsty hoards.  We have a hood with a zippered face mesh that allows one to be fully enclosed or partially or not at all.  By the way because mozzies can't actually poke their probosis thru our fabric you can wear it right over your skin.  Also our products are Made in Canada (by skilled sewers paid an honest wage) with fabrics made in the good ol' USA.

If it's OK with Jeff I will put my URL on a followup post and even be on the 'shameless commercial' list

100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

Tom

Would you like me to have Jeff send you the payment and signup info for the Shameless commerce link?

We've been know to turn down sponsors, but there has to be a good reason. :)

bugmeist

100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!

Jeff

Bugmeist, I'll send you an instant message.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don_Papenburg

That bugmiest clothing does sound interesting .  I am not a fan of the skeeterchaserchemicals .  Does it work for honeybees?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bugmeist

Don,

We don't say of products work for honeybees (although we have both hobby and pro aparists use them) because some would get stung, have an anaphalactic reaction, call in the lawyers and we'd be in some DanG law suit.

Both hobbists and pro bee keepers know that honey bees are domestic critters and as such the keepers can usually tell if the bees are in a fowl mood and deal with that with smoke (I think).  Also if a honeybee lands on you they "usually" don't sting unless disturbed or get inside your clothing.  So if you keep them on the outside (our products do) you are generally OK.

I'd better get my Shameless Commerce link set up with Jeff so you can check out our website.

Jeff

Bugmeist has his Member support link all set up!  You can check it out at the front door of the forum,right here, or as always, on his profile. :)

Thanks for supporting the Forestry Forum Bob!

The Original Bug Shirt Company

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!