iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

current milling prices

Started by simonmeridew, February 04, 2006, 06:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

What's the current cost to mill softwood for various lumber sizes in other regions? I just had 1500 BF of Balsam Fir (most common framing lumber here) 6x6, 2x6, 1x6 etc for .17 per BF. Sounded reasonable to me. Sawyer has a Wood Mizer, does it full time.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Daren

If he did a good job I say that is plenty fair. That's less that I would have charged  ;).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mike_van

I think you got a deal  too.  I've charged .35 bf for people with 1 or 2 hardwood logs, had them tell me i'm too cheap too. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thecfarm

Just read in Uncle Henry's .16  bf and than another ad .18  bf for softwood and .20 for hardwood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lenny_M

I`d say .17 ft is a good price. Did you supply the help? Setup charge?
We normally get .25 for anythang that comes off the mill square, Piled on bunks or on truck/trailer ect. Then we leave the taint pile( Round edge,short,or too good for the slab pile) Makes good wood for the first couple rows in the stack and the last couple rows in the stack.No charge
We edge on the mill so we also leave bundles of stickers.No charge. Some jobs we take the green stickers with us and leave dry ones, Depending on the end use of the lumber.
We don`t require any help on the mill unless it is really big dia. logs or a finish woodworker that is looking for nice stuff, Figured,rift sawn, quartersawn.inlay stock, counter top peices, bookmatched ect. They`re a pickey bunch. ;D
     This year we will be going to .30 for hardwood.
   Damaged blades From hardware ect cost $20.

Lenny

SPIKER

Ive seenm from .08 to .35 depending on if you take it to them, and or they come to you.   also depends on how expenrinced the person sawing is.   around here the local amish have stationary mills set up and do a lot of pallet sawing which can get down in the .05 bf range.   SO that said it all dependson the labor force the customer and the likes...

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Daren

Quote from: Lenny_M on February 05, 2006, 07:51:46 AM
finish woodworker that is looking for nice stuff, Figured,rift sawn, quartersawn.inlay stock, counter top peices, bookmatched ect. They`re a pickey bunch. ;D

Yes they/we are , but usually pay better 'cause they appretiate good work. And some of the wormy, spalted ...stuff woodworkers want would NEVER pass a framing inspection :D . The funkier the wood, the higher the price.

Frank_Pender

Simon, compared to me it is a very good price.  I am charging $260K or $.26 a board foot, for sawing Douglas Fir and other such soft woods of the area.

If the majority of the order is 1" type of material the price goes up 20%.
Frank Pender

stumpy

I charge a flat $50 per hour plus $20 each for any ruined blades.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

dail_h

$.30 a ft, $20 per damaged blade
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

RMay

.225 a ft. my place or theres ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

isassi

Makes me feel like I was ripped off, but what led me to get a mill was paying .50 bd/ft for a pecan log to be sawed. Of course, this isn't sawmill country, but what i have seen since are most guys get .35 around here. Since I mill for myself, I don't have a rate, but if I were sawing for others, I would hit .35 at least, and a hardware in the log charge could be expensive on circle blade bits  :o I am working on whether I want to cut logs on a 2 for 1 basis for guys who have some timber, and for black walnut, no doubt.  ;)

solodan

California tends to be two to three times higher than everywhere else, but hey that's a pretty fair deal considering the real estate prices.

ely

if i saw for others i get .25 a bdft. and 20 bucks a blade if i hit metal. i will saw on the halves for some folks too.

treecyclers

Here in AZ, I typically get $75 an hour + $25 a blade, or if I am cutting on a per bdft basis, I get $.75-$1.00 a boardfoot.
It's neat being the only game in town for about 300 miles that does on site custom cutting!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Daren

Quote from: treecyclers on February 06, 2006, 12:52:21 PM
Here in AZ, I typically get $75 an hour + $25 a blade, or if I am cutting on a per bdft basis, I get $.75-$1.00 a boardfoot.
It's neat being the only game in town for about 300 miles that does on site custom cutting!

I'll say :o. $1.00 bft, most lumber sells sawn/green for that here. Arizona is too hot for me...or you wouldn't be the only one within 300 miles, I'd be right down the block doin' it for $.74 bft. :D

FeltzE

We're at .19 / ft owner provides labor to stack lumber and handle slab.  Small jobs are quoted by the hour with a minimum of $100/ on site and $40 in the yard

Eric

isassi

Looks like the verdict clearlt rests on location, location, location.... 8) If I ever saw for someone else, I want either half the lumber, or I will probably charge .50 since I am not wanting the practice and if I do it, might as well make a few bucks, but since most people in my area don't consider getting logs sawed often, I doubt I will have to worry....if I mill for shares, i will probably get something I can use or trade...seems like a great deal but doesn't make my wife like the bottom line...if the mill wasn't a tax deduction for our construction company, I probably would have had to beg on bended knee to get it.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!