iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clothing mainly pants

Started by dad2nine, December 16, 2007, 09:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Wife is complaining that I keep busting out the crotch in my jeans, despite repeated attempts to sew it closed. One of her friends was over and made a comment about my flannel underwear and that was like the last straw for her. Now my work jeans have disappeared and can't be found, she threw them all away  >:(

Been looking at Bailey's Duck work pants and Wild Ass doubles - what do you guys wear and do you get any mileage out of them?

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?CatID=125&skw=pants%2Bpant

I liked my old jeans they were down right comfortable, but I guess free styling isn't much in fashion.

Tom

The majority of my work clothes come from Sam's wholesale club.   I've not had any problems other than some of the pants having a short rise. I will be changing because the T-shirts are now a thinner material.

before I started with the sawmill, all of my work clothes were Dickies.  I always felt top notch.

dboyt

I've had great luck with Bailey's "Wild Ass" pants.  Only complaint is the label on the back, which will, no doubt, get comments.  I cut them off.  Pants themselves wear well, and I've never had a seam split apart.  As far as I'm concerned, they're well worth the money, if you happen to be a size that they carry.  Of course, your underwear will still show through if you forget to zip up the fly :D!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brian_Rhoad

I wear Rustler jeans I think they are made by Wrangler. They hold up well for me. They are heavier material than some jeans. Cost around $10-$12 at Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

stumpy

I've worn Carhartts, Arborwear, Baileys wildass doubles and all the other brand jeans.  Baileys are by far the best work jeans I've worn.  They wear like iron, they are reasonably priced and they have the rivets for suspenders if you're so inclined.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

solodan

I wear the "wild ass" doubles. Well worth the money :), but doubles can get real hot in the summer heat with chaps over the top. I wear Ben Davis under my chaps quite a bit, I think they are more comfortable than the doubles, but the last pair of Ben's I got said they were made in Dominican Republic. I also noticed the tag on the back does not say "Made in the USA" anymore it just says "Built Tough" I noticed the difference, cause that last pair are the only ones that blew out in the crotch. The other 7 pair I have are still doing fine after several years. If they are not continuing to be made in San Francisco than I will quit buying Ben Davis. :-\ The "Wild Ass" hickory shirts are nice too, like the pants, well worth the money. :)

thecfarm

I've been wearing Dickies for years.Like them better than jeans to move around in.I just bought 2 new pairs.I see they are made in Mexico now.Mine wear out above the knees.I have never had a blow out with them.But I do buy them a little big.I don't like to be restricted when I bend over.Same way with my tee shirts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dad2nine

Thanks guys theirs nothing like experience to steer you in the right direction - I'm going to order a few pairs of the wild ass doubles maybe like a size bigger than my jeans and a pair of suspenders see how they do.

Tom where do you get your red shirts?  ;D

Thanks

fat olde elf

I have some extremely expensive work trousers.  They cost 5 years and seven months of working in a medium security facility with chronically mentally ill felons...NC DOC provided them for me and they allowed me to keep them after I retired.. The price was too high.
Actually I started out sawing in bib overalls.  They were fine especially since I did not need suspenders.  Now I wear extra wide red suspenders.  I carry lots of stuff in my pockets and still have a small behind........More information than you needed........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Tom

Dad2nine, they have come form Walmart or Sam's over the years.  Sam's quit selling Red here and the wife bought the thin ones at Walmart.  We'll be looking elsewhere I suspect.

fat 0ld elfe, I suffer from a like malady.  The difference, probably, is that my midriff is has gotten larger than my lower extremities.  I can't get my belt tight enough to hang on and there is no ledge to keep them from slipping down.  I'd like to think that my derriere is small, but I'm afraid that might be true only in comparison. :-[

LeeB

I have the same disease as you fellow, all gut and no butt. I don't often work in jeans. Not enough pockets, too restricting, and I can't keep them from slipping down. If I put my belt tight enough to hold them, I can't breath. I wear mostly Walls coveralls because for many years I got a free pair every three months from work, but alas all good things come to an end. Before the freebes i used to wear bibs and when the last of my coveralls wear out I will go back to them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don_Papenburg

I have been buying the rustler  geans because they are cheap and I can rip cheap one as well as expensive ones .  I also like to get the streach fabric because it does not restrict movement when bending .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Coon

I think you guys are just getting to big for your britches... :D :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tom

It's these new fabrics and designs that I think are made for orientals. 

Sprucegum

I always wore Carhardts(sp?) but they don't seem to be put the right size number on the waistband anymore.
I haven't gained any weight, just moved some around  :-\

LeeB

Maybe 'cause they're made by orientals now Tom. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Quote from: fat olde elf on December 16, 2007, 10:37:29 PM
I have some extremely expensive work trousers.  They cost 5 years and seven months of working in a medium security facility with chronically mentally ill felons...NC DOC provided them for me and they allowed me to keep them after I retired.. The price was too high.
Actually I started out sawing in bib overalls.  They were fine especially since I did not need suspenders.  Now I wear extra wide red suspenders.  I carry lots of stuff in my pockets and still have a small behind........More information than you needed........

Pics!!!  We need pics :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Carhartt bibs make up most of my wardrobe.  I have problems getting the button fly like I like and sometimes make a mistake and get the zipper fly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dad2nine

flip

El cheapo "Real Workwear" from the local farm store Rural King.  They are about $15 pair and last me about 2 years.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

scsmith42

Jeff, I"m a big Carhart fan, and I've found their products to be extremely durable.  I used to buy them from their "seconds" store in Kentucky - it was only last year that I discarded a jacket and pair of insulated overalls that I bought there about 15 years ago.

Based on the feedback on this string, I might have to try some of the Bailey's wild ass doubles though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Percy

Wild Ass pants???? Hmmmmm Mebey they should call them "Ferral Donkey" pants to avoid any confusion. :D :D

Seriously, in the summer, I like jeans but was blowing out  crotches before the things even started to fade. At Costco's I found regular lookin jeans that they call "Stretch Denim". They arnt tight or anything like that but when you jump up on a log/mill/loader/whatever, no  more "decrotchulation" of the jeans. They stretch like spandex and are comfy. In the winter, not so good.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

rockchucker

This thread is great!  lol

I have worn double front Carhartts For about 15 years now.  The only thing I find wearing out is the top of the back pockets.  The rivets holding on the upper part of the back pocket tends to be a weak point.  Since there is only one layer on the bum it rips then shows right through.  I have never had a problem with the crotch ripping out.  They might get worn early from all the scratching that gets done around that area!  They still haven't failed though.  I still own and wear all of my Carhartts I just have had to throw the occasional ass patch in for the pocket rip thing.  However the single layer Carhartts suck as regular pants and work pants in my opinion.  I have had the single layer pants blow out in no time.  I wish they made a double front overall/bib but I haven't seen them yet.  The only good ones I have seen have a zipper all the way down the side and most of them only have the double front on the knees.  Or they are lined.  Good for the cold but when it gets hot...it gets hot!
-Cory

Norm

I have no idea how you guys get pants to last that long. Not that mine don't last that long but Patty is constantly shrinking them in the washer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Ironwood

Get mine at Tractor Supply (franchised farm store) I was blowing out the crotches in my old ones as well. Until you find the right "fit" for you even the recommended ones here may not work for you, so many variations and sizes, you really need to keep trying until you find one that fits. Mine are Schmit (sic) and are 16-19 dollars a pair. Old girl friend's father used to say if Tractor Supply didn't carry it, he didn't need it, I am coming close to the same quote. Ahhhh middle age.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I don't know what brand my work pants are. All I see is Made in Canada on the tag inside. They are about $29 I think and cotton, not denim. I can't wear jeans, too hot and they stick to ya in the heat. How do you guys wear them in the heat down south? I'd be worn out fighting my pants.  ;D

I did buy a couple pair of Kodiak pants this summer at Wal-Mart. They were alright after I washed them once. But One of the snap fastened flew apart after about 5 seconds of wear and I took and sewed a big button on in it's place. I like buttons the best. That's one beef I have with the Canadian pants, they converted from a button to a sliding metal clasp. I hate those things. Whose brain wave was that?  >:(

Oh I went and looked, they are Kodiak Pathfinder and Dickies but they look the same. I think the Kodiak are $2 cheaper than Dickies. Made in Canada though. But judging by the label on the Wal-mart Kodiak Pathfinder, maybe they got sent offshore now.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Hey, Norm. I'm sticking with you buddy. ;D ;D ;D
Bill

ScottAR

I been buying the Sam's club brand...  They are $14 or thereabouts.
The fabric is a little thinner than the Levi's I used to get but I usually get
battery acid on em before they rip so it doesn't matter much. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

limbrat

I like kakies or work pants, but i grew a gut and pushed my pants below my gut and that pushed the pant crotch away from my crotch and they started blowing out. I started getting the lee dungrarees in carpenter pants at pennys you can get them with a shorter crotch and zipper. The pant crotch came back up were its suppose to be and no more blowouts. I would like to find some short crotch work pants, maybe i should lose the gut.
ben

OneWithWood

limbrat,
Don't do anything drastic!

But if you do decide to slim down a bit come join us on the weight loss thread over in the health and safety board.
We like company :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodmills1

I wear jeans almost all the time, even back when I was teaching

I buy walmart wranglers I think they are $16.88, I use them for regular everyday wear till i forget that I am not working and get them extra dirty( all the time) then they turn into work pants.  Most of them hold up well, but a few years back, had a batch that the waist button faild......Wallmart made good on those, and will get crotch blowouts, but not at the seam, more like in the material itslf.   I can't complain at these prices, but wonder how the washer puts up with all the sawdust that I forget to clean from the pockets.

By tthe way I also bought one of those woven web type belts so I can cinch it up tight when needed to keep from looking like a boy from the hood ;D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Coon

awe come on woodmills don't ya wanna look cool? 8) :o :D ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ely

i have a few pair of double front bibs non insulated that i wear over my pants in the winter or wear them for pants in the warmer months. they are made here in okla. or at least they used to be made in shawnee. the name on them is smiths.
i also wear carhartts both double front and regular pants for work, levis 501 also. they all wear out but i have a lady that resews them for me. she puts new crotches and seats or fronts on.

Robert Long

OK  :D(he's cute)  

So much about the type of pants you wear, now what about that oil stain that shows up on the front of your pants just above the knees  >:(  

You Wood-Mizer guys and gals know what I am talking about,  that oil stain caused from the track oil while reaching from the operators side of the mill.

Robert :)

Greg Cook

I used to stick with Carhartt pants or overalls exclusively, but when I started paying attention to those labels inside where it says "Made In ________", I had to give them up. I do have some of the Wild Ass Doubles from Bailey's, and they fit good, wear well, etc. and are a product of Canada. I have no quarrel with the Canuck neighbors. But recently I found Diamond Gusset jeans, made right here in Tennessee! Other than being home-grown, they have designed their pants so the seams don't all run to one junction that happens to be in the crotch.  Looks like they should help quite a lot with that ripping problem.  And easy to order, send them your measurements, whatever they are, and they'll sew you a pair of pants.  Pretty easy, huh? They do have a website, which I won't post, but it's pretty easy to figure out....

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

dad2nine

I'm not sure I'm far enough along to wear bibs and red shirts, I need a few thousdand more logs under my belt before I would even think about that kind of attire. However much to my amazement, mysteriously my work jeans re-appeared cleaned and sewed go figure...

Thanks

rebocardo

I buy EMT pants, currently from Sportsman Guide (all out at Christmas). Cargo pocket each side, which I need and like, made from 65/35 cotton/poly and wears well.

Lud

In the Duluth catalog there's a "fire-hose canvas" that wears well and breaths OK too.   8) 8)

But what I liked  the most and have been using successfully for a few years are the Sidewinder Suspenders....that  only have 2 clips that attach on the sides ,  the natural place we grab to "hitch up".   Saved me some splits and they do sort of feel like you're wearing a shoulder holster....perfect for the "suck in your gut and tuck in your butt"  crowd.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

I wear genuinte military issue BDU pants.  Specifically I wear the desert camo.  They are made of rip stop fabric which is very durable and if you manage to get a rip, it does not want to continue like jeans and other pants.  You can wear out the crotch over time from thighs rubbing together, but they are more durable than jeans I feel.  They are available in winter and summer versions, though I think you can use either year round.  I use the winter.  I've noticed that two different types of ripstop are available - a nylon type that has a checkered pattern in the fabric, and a cotton twill style.  I like the softer cotton twill type. 
   Last winter I found a guy who had bought used ones form returning soldiers on one particular base.  I bought them for $5 a pair.  That was the cheapest I'd ever found and I think you'd be hard pressed to find that price today, but they can be had at low cost.  I found the guy on ebay originally. 
   They are also very loose and comfortable with plenty of pocket space.  They come in x-small, small, medium, large, x-large and I'm not sure but I think xx-large is also made.  They also come as short, regular length, or long.  I bought large regular and large long and hemmed the long ones.  They also have straps on the sides for incremental adjustment of the waist.  You should wear a belt with them.  I use military style web belts that I purchased at gander mountain and another store I forgot which.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!